Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Idea for a better CAI

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

Name : Chris
Merit : 8

Idea for a better CAI Empty
PostSubject: Idea for a better CAI   Idea for a better CAI EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 11:12 am

The last time I did a CAI, i was on my NA 1997 Monte carlo. What I did was actually pretty ingenious as I used the car's existing intake system and just opened it up at the very end with a cone air filter. Throttle response improved, sound increased, and I might've even got another horsepower or two out of the whole thing smile.

I think I see a way to do that with this system too but I think I'll post my idea here and see who else has possibly thought of it or perhaps done something similar.

Materials needed - Some wire mesh (nothing too hardcore but it will be in front of the air filter), some form of rigid sheet plastic around 1/8" thick(possibly do 1/16" but I think I have some 1/8" stuff left over), plastic adhesive, short plastic screws, and thermal insulating wrap.

Tools needed - Something for cutting plastic (sawzall), possibly a dremel if you want to be precise, and a screwdriver

Step 1) Remove everything before the throttle body/MAF sensor

Step 2) Using a cutting tool, open up the stock air inlet area on the intake box.

Step 3) Using the same cutting tool, cut off the baffles on the intake hose

Step 4) Once the baffles have been removed, and the inlet opened up, cut out shapes in the plastic that are slightly bigger than the holes created from the baffles.

Step 5) Use the dremel or some sandpaper to make a level yet rough surface on where the baffles were

STep 6) Prep the plastic pieces for bonding to the intake hose. Use the adhesive to secure them then wrap the hose in the insulating wrap.

Step7) Use the plastic sheet to create a new "guide" for the air before the air filter box to go a bit lower than the stock inlet. The screws are used to secure it to the existing assembly.

Step 8) Use the wire mesh in the new guide (or possibly right in front of the air filter, haven't decided yet) and secure using the plastic adhesive from earlier. This is done to protect the filter from small rocks and debris that could get sucked in by the intake

Step 9) THe side of the guide that faces the engine should have a layer of insulating wrap on it and putting some on the air box also seems like a good idea

Step 10) Re-assemble your air intake in the engine bay and drop in a K&N air filter.

Ta-da! A proper cold air intake using the existing architecture. I'm debating on the use of PVC pipe for the air inlet extension and I think I might want a few brackets to mount the lowered inlet. The main benefits of this are the insulated wrap on everything and the better noise from the lack of baffles but I think if combined with a more open exhaust it should improve airflow.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Improvements? I thought of this when looking through my garage and seeing that I had a bunch of the materials already available. I think the only parts I would have to buy would be the insulating wrap so it could be a real cheap DIY weekend job for those of us on a budget.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a better CAI   Idea for a better CAI EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks for posting. Can you upload pictures of the process? One image per step would be perfect.

Are you using a drop-in panel filter, or a cone? I'm having trouble visualizing the plastic guide.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a better CAI   Idea for a better CAI EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 12:17 pm

Oh I haven;t done it yet. this is a sort of hypothetical thing.

I still need to figure out how to remove my air box since the bolt is corroded to the point I can't get a good grip on it.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a better CAI   Idea for a better CAI EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 1:41 pm

If I remember it's a stud with a nut. Spray with PB Blaster, use locking pliers to twist off the nut. Replace the nut with a new one.

Take pics when you try this!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a better CAI   Idea for a better CAI EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Further examination of my air intake box today showed that the intake ducts are completely plugged with plant material.....I'll get pics tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a better CAI   Idea for a better CAI Empty

Back to top Go down

Idea for a better CAI
Page 1 of 1