Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings

Go down 
+38
h20man
DeepFrozen
Riviera Randy
Ash
sall
sloshua
J. Chris Davis
9ZZPRiviera7
Hometown Hero
RidzRiv
chitown_riv98
Biosci777
adam14212
LARRY70GS
98riv
DEMonte1997
themanwithsauce
werdstrave
BMD
flyineagle96
albertj
AA
7901mark
Abaddon
BrianEsser
robotennis61
1998 Riv
rivparadise
deekster_caddy
Rickw
T Riley
BillBoost37
'96reese
Supercharged
turtleman
TType_Riviera
ewolfe0050
Mr.Riviera
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 15, 2017 8:11 am

I replaced my dead body mounts with Dorman P/N 924-044's. As was said here - just loosened front bolts and then I had enough cradle movement to be able to replace rear mounts.
But I encountered an unexpected problem. I guess those bushings are meant to be squished pretty hard to ensure tight & correct subframe position. Not my case. I was tightening bolts and when those "mushroom" washers (upper and lower) met and rested against each other,  upper bushing was hardly compressed at all, I'm able to move it by hand.
Now it is like this:
Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 9657071

It can't be right. Has anyone experienced anything like that?
The reason I'm having this clusterf##k could be the fact that my Riviera is '97 and subframe was taken off an '95 Aurora. But is it?...
(now) I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they share the same cradle.

Well, after some (brief) head-scratching I think I'll put additional modified washer between the lower washer and bushing and tight the whole thing back. I'm gonna take old washers and cut those "caps" off 'em to get something like this:

Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 9661155

It will give me about 3/4" of additional "squishing gap" which, I hope, will be enough.
Rusty and ugly, but this should work.

... on the other hand - may be I'm just being stupid and overlooked something simple and managed to screw the whole thing up smile
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 4:20 am

Well, with additional washers I got tighter assembly and more confidence )  

To push my confidence even further, I put a camera in there and pointed it on the most rear body mount on the passenger side. Then I made some test runs back and forth with enthusiastic braking.  

At least, now I know the cradle is not wobbling around.
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 11:46 pm

I need to basically do exactly what you just did, I kept hearing a clunk when steering and hitting bumps to find out that my subframe bushing was about to come out. Now did you replace any of those captured bolts? I'm afraid that the new England weather here did a number on mine. Also does that Dorman pack replace the front and rear bushings
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyFri Aug 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Not sure what captured bolts you are talking about. In my case the subframe was replaced after an accident and all bolts came out relatively easy. But couple of lower washers were literally rusted through. So I bought those Dorman kits - and yes, same kit works for any position in the cradle - and replaced everything.
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Ok so I replaced the inner mounts (ones closest to the front of the car) with the Dorman bushings. And I still have a horrible clunk from the right side. I'm guessing I should have replaced all four at the same time maybe because the pressure of a new mount renders the older one useless?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyMon Oct 30, 2017 12:41 pm

The front two are usually in great shape because they are protected by splash shields, but the rear 4 are the ones that get corroded and fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyTue Oct 31, 2017 11:32 am

Yeah those seem to be just fine it's the 4 that deep frozen replaced, I did the 2 closer to the front but not the rears... they seem to be clunking now
Back to top Go down
JOE RIV 1
Amateur
JOE RIV 1

Name : joe rivecco
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 4:03 pm

im going to fix my 96 but would like to know the size hole in the cradle where the bushings go. i need to do some welding thanks for some help. joe riv
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptySat Dec 09, 2017 10:50 pm

My front two mounts on the rear of the cradle in my car are in kind of tough shape. One was missing the lower washer and rubber insulator, the other one I barely grabbed the lower washer and it, as well as the rubber insulator, came off in my hand lol. The upper parts of the insulators look pretty good, as do all of the other insulators and washers (rearmost and very front). I'm thinking I could just do the bottoms of the bad two. Is is possible to buy just the lower rubber, lower washer, and bolt for both mounts? Also what are the odds of the bolts snapping off? I'm guessing penetrating oil, time, heat, and patients would all be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2018 11:29 am

Ok so after installing the 4 mounts everything is now solid but for some reason I'm getting a popping sound when turning or hitting light bumps. Almost sounds like bad strut mount even though they were replaced last year. So what I did is i went and re tourqued the bolts for the 4 mounts and the noises stop for a couple days and come back. Why is this happening? It seems like they loosen up all the time on me
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Just make sure it isn't the sway bar mounts or end links. Give them a look. I just had to have new metal welded in on my cradle because one of the bolts on a bushing had torn through the metal. Made a clunking noise on turns.

Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2018 8:32 pm

I hope it's nothing like that, I'll double check everything is tight on both sides. It's so weird though only small bumps cause almost a small tapping noise, and light clunk/pop when turning.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 8:47 am

That's exactly what a loose sway bar sounds like. Happened numerous times to me. Once, the end link had snapped, but it wasn't readily apparent. The bolt had snapped underneath the bushing, but the bushing stuck to the bar, so I couldn't tell until I looked closer. Had to cut/beat the old end link off. This last time was similar, I had to look closer. The nut for the bushing mount is part of the sub frame. It had broken free all around, but the other one on that same bushing was fine. Every so often, it would clunk on turns/bumps. The bushing was moving enough and I have the Addco bar, so it is solid. When I looked closer, the damage was apparent. Luckily, I know a really good fabricator/welder. He fabricated and welded in replacement metal and welded the nut to the bottom of it. Looks stock unless you look very closely.

Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 9:35 am

I'll have to take a look, sway bar definitely makes sense because everything suspension wise besides sway bar bushings was replaced about 2 years ago. The cradle mounts were done last year.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Cradle or subframe bushings.   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 9:55 pm

After searching I still need a little help please. The front ones are available from Doorman 924-044.
ACDelco 10397249 are listed as rear but I don't know if it's for the rear suspension or the rear position of the front cradle. Can I modify something, I would like to install or as many bushings as possible. Can anybody help me spell it out for me please?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 6:48 pm

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 7:23 pm

Thanks, the search engine missed that one. I am going to fire it.
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 1:43 am

The short answer is Doorman 924-044 can be used everywhere in the front cradle.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 10:01 pm

Thank you that was the exact answer I was looking for, the main tech guy at Dorman did not even know this. Saturday I am installing new premium Moog lca's, outer tie rods, sway bar links, four out of the six Dorman subframe bushings and the one last transmission mount next to the driver side wheel.
Back to top Go down
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

Name : steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2023 8:30 pm

Hey Brian did those Dorman 924-044 bushings work on the 2 rear i heard they were only for the front thx

Last edited by 71stagegs on Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2023 8:36 pm

Yes, Make sure once you tighten them down the cradle has the weight of the car on it. I chased noises for a year and finally brought my car to a different mechanic and found the subframe bolts were not tight. I was ready to choke my ex mechanic. My car finally runs and rides amazing.
Back to top Go down
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2023 8:40 pm

ok thanks i had a noise for a year creeking not all the time went under today and had my son turn wheel bushing is loose its like new bolt came right out bushing has compressed
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2023 8:42 pm

Does that mean you're taking a ride to Chappaqua? Glad to hear you still have your car.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2023 8:43 pm

I noticed it going over certain bumps or if the body would roll sides to side.
Back to top Go down
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2023 8:49 pm

I got that noise only when turning the wheel I may be out east that weekend
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings
Page 14 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next