Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems

Go down 
+31
MusicMan
rk0ehn
BMD
DEMonte1997
EliteOutlaw
97 park ave
T Riley
TheAviator
maximum
Joby70739
greg_anderson_78
nigelf
robotennis61
Eldo
jp8240
GMFreak8
ibmoses
mr riviera
albertj
deekster_caddy
Rickw
manofmany
Mr.Riviera
palermocorey90
Natesriv
98riv
99Rivman
jax95riv
aaronlalonde
AA
jimmyriv
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri May 08, 2009 11:17 pm

You should be able to remove the small panel behind the door latch, and you might be able to work the rods from there. Won't unlock? hmmm. Is the lock button inside stuck, or disconnected. If it's stuck, try having somebody push the door closed hard while you jiggle the thing...

not much help there I know, but it's worth a shot. Could be the seatbelt latch stuck in the shut door or something...
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptySat May 09, 2009 10:56 am

Good call, deekster.

I took my hip and began pushing in and out and hit the unlock button and voila, it unlocked and opened. I'm not experienced with trying to diagnose these type of problems lol

I guess I'll remove the panel and look for any binding and grease it up.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptySat May 09, 2009 11:07 am

Also look for a worn hinge. Could be the door sagging low causing some issues.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptySat May 09, 2009 11:37 am

I'm thinking it has something to do with the latch after playing with it. If it won't unlock I can give the door a shove and then it will unlock. I wonder if it's not latching correctly.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptySun May 10, 2009 12:12 am

check the striker.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon May 25, 2009 10:47 pm

albertj wrote:
check the striker.

Albertj

As in the piece inside of the door held in place by the torx? I'm pretty sure thats what it is. Lube doesn't seem to be doing it, but when it happens I can just shove the door and then it works. May have to get a new one and replace it.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue May 26, 2009 6:49 am

Sure it's not something like the seat belt hanging down preventing the door from closing all the way? I've had that happen many times.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue May 26, 2009 9:27 am

The striker is bolted to the door jam and is adjustable.
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

Name : Pat
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Cant open passanger door :(   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Door wont unlock all the way , outside handle wont engage, inside handle wont work either.
any suggestions, guess i gotta take the panel off and fix it ?
looks like fun with the door shut ???
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 3:29 pm

You can't get the interior panel off without opening the door, unless you want to tear something up. headbutt
You might try using a "Slim-Jim" tool to unlock it directly at the mechanism? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 3:50 pm

99Rivman wrote:
You might try using a "Slim-Jim" tool to unlock it directly at the mechanism?
That's what i was going to suggest also.
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 3:54 pm

yeah i used to have one i made outta band strap for a 77 cutlass ... ill give it a try ... any idea wich way it pulls , used to be slide tward rear and pull up when ya had it hooked
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Be VERY careful, where the linkage attaches to the mechanism is PLASTIC and breaks very easy!
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 4:02 pm

thats probably whats broken , ill take the panel off the other door first to get a look at what i gotta play with in there ....
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 8:10 pm

well i got the door open , with my makeshit slim jim , gotta replace outter handle , thr rod that actuates the closure is broke i guess ... havent looked yet .... no biggie , atleast i can still use the door
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 8:15 pm

Look here for a "better?" idea than replacing it:

Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 11:54 am

yeah , i could do that ... thanks ... when i get to it . im just glad it opens now .
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Well my door handle is now completely inoperable. Have to open it from the inside frown

I saw the writeup but I think I'll just order a new one, I guess.. pending what I see when I pull the door panel
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 2:29 pm

You probably already saw the write up on removing door panel also but just in case:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/interior-f20/write-up-interior-door-panel-removal-t317.htm#2570

When the handle on my wife's 99 Riv broke it was cold/wet and I knew it would behoove me to carry it and get it fixed instead of making her drive it like that until I could get around to it.
So I had a local body shop repair it, they ordered the part and got it for the same price that I found it for on GM parts direct and installed it for $50.00 labor.

Good Luck

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Yeah I guess I'm gonna order a new one but I don't see anything broken right off hand. I've got it pulled out of the door but still have the rods attached
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 3:43 pm

So I don't really see anything broken. It seems like that spring should move when I pull the handle, but it doesn't. Is that how it works? I don't see how it would move because the rod that goes through it is much smaller than the spring hole.

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 Img0212mfw

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 Img0219

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 Img0213f

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 Handle
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 4:31 pm

manofmany wrote:
So I don't really see anything broken. It seems like that spring should move when I pull the handle, but it doesn't. Is that how it works? I don't see how it would move because the rod that goes through it is much smaller than the spring hole.
I've circled in red where the piece is broken ... there should be a hook there that pushes against that metal piece

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 Img02110
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 4:39 pm

Yep I pulled the passenger panel to see that. Thanks

Just ordered one from rockauto.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Look in the very bottom of the door and you will probably find the piece that is missing. Also if you get that broken piece out of the door now it wont annoy you after the repair is completed when you are driving down the road and hear it bouncing around inside the door.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 6:30 pm

Looks like the passenger door handle has already been replaced.

Yep I found the piece. Plastic FTL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next