Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

intermittent wont crank

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dpmeeks
Rookie

Name : Phil
Merit : 1

intermittent wont crank Empty
PostSubject: intermittent wont crank   intermittent wont crank EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Today i stopped at a drive thru, shut my car off for about 30sec. went to start it back up and nothing. all the lights would come on but wouldnt crank. i pushed it out of the drive thru and it started right up. ive read it could be the chip in the key ? i read if the security system finds a problem with the key it disables starting the car for about 3 min. and thats about how long it was.

I guess the only fix for this is to get another key ?? any other ideas?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: intermittent wont crank   intermittent wont crank EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:47 pm

dpmeeks wrote:
Today i stopped at a drive thru, shut my car off for about 30sec. went to start it back up and nothing. all the lights would come on but wouldnt crank. i pushed it out of the drive thru and it started right up. ive read it could be the chip in the key ? i read if the security system finds a problem with the key it disables starting the car for about 3 min. and thats about how long it was.

I guess the only fix for this is to get another key ?? any other ideas?

1) check the keyway with a cotton swab (QTip) wet with alcohol (dry gas) to clean it as you check it.

2) ig switch could be worn out, happens at this age, replace electrical part of the assembly, parts at dealer, parts store or rockauto.com

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: intermittent wont crank   intermittent wont crank EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Don't you also have the security light on while driving thread?

<=RELATED=>

I think you will need a new ignition switch. But check the key out thoroughly like albert suggests.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: intermittent wont crank   intermittent wont crank EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 4:35 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Don't you also have the security light on while driving thread?

<=RELATED=>

I think you will need a new ignition switch. But check the key out thoroughly like albert suggests.

Key can be checked by visual inspection (is the chip ground smooth? Might be needing replacement (but not likely).

Ignition keyway can be dirty; the contacts that touch the chip are just inside the keyway. Clean with a cotton swab dipped in dry gas (alcohol)

If the keyway cleaning does not work, most likely the switch (electrical part) needs to be replaced. When I replaced mine I replaced both keyway and switch since I was in there. Switch comes with new dummy key, so if you do this you have to buy key blanks that will work with your car, that match the resistance of the chip that is in your old key (measure with meter or take to dealer and match up to your VIN).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: intermittent wont crank   intermittent wont crank EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 6:44 pm

May be a thought to check the connections on your starter as well. If the problem occurs after checking out the ignition switch. I would advise giving the starter a few taps with the hammer, if/when it happens again. If the engine starts after that it's a very good indication of a starter going bad.
Back to top Go down
dpmeeks
Rookie

Name : Phil
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: intermittent wont crank   intermittent wont crank EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 6:53 pm

It hasnt done it anymore yet.. the PO said his wife had it happen to her once and she moved the steering wheel around and it started back up. I cleaned the keyway out with a swab and alcohol .. it was pretty dirty so hopefully thatll take care of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: intermittent wont crank   intermittent wont crank Empty

Back to top Go down

intermittent wont crank
Page 1 of 1