Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Temp gauge issue

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ythtok
Rookie
ythtok

Name : KC
Merit : 1

Temp gauge issue  Empty
PostSubject: Temp gauge issue    Temp gauge issue  EmptyFri May 04, 2012 6:20 pm

i have been searching the site but cant seem to find the answers i require so hopefully some one out there can help .
OK here is the issue started 2 weeks ago driving along all well and fine when all of a sudden i noticed my gear indicator flashing and saw my temp gauge go from about 200 to 0 and then after a few min back to normal. now its been doing that off and on for 2 weeks every time the temp gauge goes to 0 the gear indicator flashes and all marks go solid after a unknown length of time it goes back to normal and before i just start replacing stuff figured may some on out there has had this happen before and could tell me how to fix Thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Temp gauge issue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge issue    Temp gauge issue  EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:41 am

unusual problem (may have been why your Riv was for sale... people tend to dump cars with annoying intermittent problems) first thing to try is old-school troubleshooting, start by pulling the under-dash panel on the drivers side and checking the connectors to the instrument cluster to see if any are loose. Sometimes they come loose over time from vibration and sometimes they are not reinstalled right after an accident repair. Next check the wiring to the temp sender for a short to the block.
Back to top Go down
ythtok
Rookie
ythtok

Temp gauge issue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge issue    Temp gauge issue  EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:34 pm

thanks i will start there hopefully that is all it is and not a cluster
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Temp gauge issue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge issue    Temp gauge issue  EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:56 pm

There are a ton of grounds on the Riviera. You would not believe the wacky problems you can get from a bad ground. If there are any leaks into the interior of the car, I would look at the areas that are wet for corrosion, and a bad ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Temp gauge issue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge issue    Temp gauge issue  EmptySat May 05, 2012 1:36 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
There are a ton of grounds on the Riviera. You would not believe the wacky problems you can get from a bad ground. If there are any leaks into the interior of the car, I would look at the areas that are wet for corrosion, and a bad ground.

True that. Especially check the grounds on the passenger side frame rail, the engine block, and the firewall more-or-less under the wiper motor.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Temp gauge issue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge issue    Temp gauge issue  EmptySat May 05, 2012 2:37 pm

albertj wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:

True that. Especially check the grounds on the passenger side frame rail, the engine block, and the firewall more-or-less under the wiper motor.

Yup,
Have a look at this thread, https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t8805-a-c-controls-out-no-start

I know Steve personally. Although he never posted the resolution to his problem in the above thread, I remember him telling me that he had a persistent leak on one side of his Riviera. Turned out that the water had corroded an important ground, and that was his problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
ythtok
Rookie
ythtok

Temp gauge issue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge issue    Temp gauge issue  EmptySat May 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks guys will look at grounds in engine. Bay inside dry no leaks at all
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Temp gauge issue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge issue    Temp gauge issue  Empty

Back to top Go down

Temp gauge issue
Page 1 of 1