Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Glove Box Trunk Release Button

Go down 
+9
charlieRobinson
AA
abaucom
turtleman
Riv95SC
al_roethlisberger
stan
deekster_caddy
ZEP
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

Glove Box Trunk Release Button Empty
PostSubject: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 1:24 pm

So I've had my 98 for about 8 years now and have never really thought about this, but in my car, there is a blank rectangular space on the plastic plate that contains the "Trunk release" valet button. It looks like another button could go there and I'm wondering if there was some sort of option that my car doesn't have that would necessitate that button. Here's a pic:

Glove Box Trunk Release Button DSC01213_zps5e3a4f0b

I'm talking about the blank space to the left of the "Trunk release" button. I finally thought about this today because I must have inadvertently pressed that button down while fiddling around in the glove box. Doing so disables the OTHER trunk button (the circular one on the driver door) from working, which I didn't realize for about a month. I just thought the driver door trunk release button just stopped working out of the blue dunce I swear...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Yeah that's so with the 'valet key' which locks the glovebox, you can also prevent access to the trunk. I've never seen anything in the second slot. It's tucked away inside the glovebox, so not all that practical. Kill switch maybe?
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 3:15 pm

Here you go....another hidden location for some more mods.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Yeah, dang I can't remember.... but I saw our same (this) switch assembly in the glovebox of another GM car at the wrecking yard and it had two switches, or maybe a button.

Well, I'm off to LKQ in the morning anyway, so I'll try to remember to look around again.

Al
Back to top Go down
Riv95SC
Enthusiast
Riv95SC

Name : Riv95SC
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 1:02 am

I had to go look at mine--couldn't remember. But yeah, it's the same on the '95.

Was there ever a time that the fuel door release was there? That could have been the second switch. The glovebox used to be where they put it--I had a '78 Caddy with it in there. Much more convenient now that it's in the door, but I'm sure the idea used to be that you could lock the glovebox and lock access to the tank that way.

Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 10:18 am

I put a rocker switch in that empty spot to turn on/off the scan gauges. I'll say it took a little bit of altering to get a switch in there 'cause they didn't cut the are under the switch panel open enough to have a switch nearly as big as the existing one. The electrical plug for the glove box switch has two extra cavities though so that was nice for putting another switch in there. Btw getting that switch panel out of the glove box is kinda of a bear too.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Riv95SC wrote:
I had to go look at mine--couldn't remember.  But yeah, it's the same on the '95.

Was there ever a time that the fuel door release was there?  That could have been the second switch.  The glovebox used to be where they put it--I had a '78 Caddy with it in there.  Much more convenient now that it's in the door, but I'm sure the idea used to be that you could lock the glovebox and lock access to the tank that way.

It wasn't ever used on the Riviera as far as I can tell, but it is a "parts bin" GM part, and I saw both areas used on another model.. I just can't remember which and for what yet.

Al
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 10:02 am

I think I'll use the space for my ejector seat button... but seriously, yeah I assumed it was a generic parts-bin piece just b/c I have no idea what else could go there from the factory. My family had a 2001 Buick Century (horrible car) that, iirc, had a piece like this in the glove box with a yellow button that was the actual trunk-opener. So, you had to open the glove box every time you wanted to pop the trunk which I guess makes sense from a valet standpoint.

Al, let us know if you find/found anything!
Back to top Go down
Riv95SC
Enthusiast
Riv95SC

Name : Riv95SC
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 8:45 pm

with a yellow button that was the actual trunk-opener wrote:
Was it round? If so, it was the same piece as on my old Cadillac.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 8:50 pm

I always wanted an ON/OFF power antenna switch.Does anybody know how to do that?....,just like in the 60's Rivs.I think our cars look ugly with the antenna out.
Back to top Go down
abaucom
Enthusiast

Name : Al Baucom
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 9:01 am

Stan, my 1998 antenna only goes up when I power on the radio, down when I power off the radio. Do you mean you would like to lower antenna when only using CD? That would be cool.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 12:18 pm

My dad put a switch inline to the power antenna triggers on our early 1980s Park Avenue and 98 to keep it from cycling every time the car/radio was turned on/off. He got tired of replacing antennas over the years as they "wore out", so he used this method to only lower the antenna when he wanted to, such as when going through a car wash.

Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 12:37 pm

yeah I don't want my antenna up but wanna listen to radio...haha...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Good place for a valet switch.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Riv95SC wrote:

Was it round?  If so, it was the same piece as on my old Cadillac.
Yes! It was round and yellow and depressed in the center. Sounds like someone I might know...

stan wrote:
yeah I don't want my antenna up but wanna listen to radio...haha...
Stan I think Charlie Robinson has been working on this & had posted some stuff about it in his showroom thread. I would love no antenna too... I've seriously had people think my Riv is a brand new car, then their eyes will inevitably fall on the old-fashioned metal antenna. It's a telltale sign.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:08 pm

I just think it looks ugly nowadays.....thinking to unplug it and see.......haha...just to try
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyWed May 13, 2015 12:04 am

I wonder if it's because I removed my glove box that my trunk release button on my door isnt working..

dunce

help me....

sick
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyWed May 13, 2015 6:20 am

Agreed on the Antenna. Would like to get some other kind and remove old metal one! I hard wired the trunk button cuz it started acting up after taking out the glove box. Just connect the two wires together.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 2:04 pm

Anyone know how to drop down the glove box to replace the box light?

1998 Riv
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 1:11 am

It comes out if you remember to unplug the trunk release switch first.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 7:42 am

Thanks, Jack, but how does it come out smile?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 9:23 am

I was just helping with the part I always forget until I've put strain on those wires shocked

It's not hard. There's a few screws that hold the hinge on to the bottom of the dash, not hard to find. Unplug the wire, then pull the glove box out. There's a catch on the left hand side you have to work the glove box around, but it will come out.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 9:29 am

denim wrote:
Anyone know how to drop down the glove box to replace the box light?

1998 Riv

IIRC, unscrew the 'piano' hinge from the opening, hinge is at the bottom of the door
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 10:14 am

Thank you, gentlemen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glove Box Trunk Release Button   Glove Box Trunk Release Button Empty

Back to top Go down

Glove Box Trunk Release Button
Page 1 of 1