Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Which ignition coil part number should I use?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
billfrank85

Name : Will
Merit : 0

Which ignition coil part number should I use? Empty
PostSubject: Which ignition coil part number should I use?   Which ignition coil part number should I use? EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 9:46 pm

I have a '95 Rivy, supercharged. The ignition coils on my car aren't all the same. 1 looks different than the other 2 and I'm interested in replacing all as a set because I believe they are causing my performance issues. There is a seller on EBay who sells a set of three D555 coils + the ICM + the bracket for about $100 new. Rockauto lists two different coil part numbers for my car, one being the D555. HOWEVER, I also found this when doing my research (it was posted on a Bonneville site):

Quote :
ACDelco D576 - most expensive; direct OE replacements for SSEi (price is around $55-$75). These coils have blue tabs on the bottom side. Can be used in SLE and SE as a "mod" upgrade as long as all three coils are the same.

ACDelco D555 - Direct OE replacements for SLE and SE. Puts out slightly less spark than D576 (voltage and amperage are different). (Costs around $40-$60.) These coils do not have any blue on the bottom. Not recommended for SSEi; will work but decreases performance and may cause longer-term issues, especially if blue and non-blue are mixed on same car.

ACDelco E530C - a "one size fits all" replacement; suitable for L36 engines in any car. Appears to be pretty much the same as D555, but some feel that it is slightly inferior. (Costs around $40-$60.) As with D555, is not recommended for SSEi.

Delphi GN10123 - Same as E530C. Possibly made in same factory. Just a different brand name on the box. As with E530C and D555, is not recommended for SSEi. Delphi used to be a part of General Motors, and still makes many parts for AC Delco.

Airtex/Wells C849 - aftermarket equivalent of E530C (sold under "Duralast" brand at AutoZone) (around $22-$27). Felt by many to be of lesser quality than Delphi/ACDelco. Coils that are not Delphi or AC Delco are not recommended here at the club, unless you do not plan on keeping the car for long. Junkyard parts preferred over Airtex/Wells.

Standard Motor Products DR39T - very low-priced. Commonly found on eBay, also on Rock Auto as "Economy option." (around $15-$20) Coils that are not Delphi or AC Delco are not recommended here at the club, unless you do not plan on keeping the car for long. Junkyard parts preferred over SMP.

MSD 8224 - These are comparable to D576 and are suitable for SSEi. Considered by some to be a "mod" due to their red color and association with racing. Some feel that they are slightly better than D576 and others say they are slightly less good. Either way, most seem to agree that they are pretty close to D576, however, so the differences may be negligible. Prices are similar to D576, if not a little lower. As with D576, can be used in SLE and SE as a "mod" upgrade.

They say the D576 (which is NOT listed as an option for my car, on Rockauto) is the way to go for the SSEi Bonneville, since that is the supercharged version if I'm not mistaken. I have also read on here that there are different coils for a SC and non SC Rivy, and you shouldn't use a non SC coil on a Rivy that IS SC'd. Rockauto lists the D555 for both SC and non SC. I'm just looking for the best outcome to this situation before I start spending money.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Which ignition coil part number should I use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which ignition coil part number should I use?   Which ignition coil part number should I use? EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Visit a nearby pick-and-pull junkyard and pull four coils off supercharged 3800 engines -- the Parke Avenue is the one most likely you'll find -- get four of them, you will get them for a song, just check them when you pull them to make sure they are all D555s or D576s. Also check your current coils as to type (remove them and look) and electrically.

Then just install the three best, electically identical, coils. AND WHILE YOU ARE AT IT check your ignition wires. You need to use good wires, Delco, Delphi, Magnecor, Taylor come to mind to use. Bosch, Belden. Autolite come to mind to avoid.
Back to top Go down

Which ignition coil part number should I use?
Page 1 of 1