Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems

Go down 
+28
albertj
J. Chris Davis
Eldo
sqrivi
Snowdog
robotennis61
ibmoses
GMFreak8
1wickedninja
1995 Riv
98RIV7777
Rickw
Ryan from Ohio
rivman96
turtleman
SToP
SourDiesel
clazzicradiorepair
stan
96RIVMANN
1998 Riv
palermocorey90
deekster_caddy
T Riley
Pearl Riv
jax95riv
mcgusto82
¤DoughBoy¤
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SToP
Enthusiast

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Remote start recommendations?   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 4:42 pm

I'm looking for a 2-way remote start with good range. I park a few hundred yards from my office so I want to know if the car is actually started. I wouldn't mind some additional security but I'm not fussy about that. But I would like a second smaller key fob (or be able to use the factory GM fob) in the summer rather than carry the big 2-way remote all the time.

I read a post from earlier this year about someone installing the Viper 790XV. I just figured there may be a newer model out there now. Any recommendations?

Also, what's the popular way to bypass Passkey II for use with the remote start? Just wire a resistor in, or buy an aftermarket module? I know with a relay you can still retain the Passkey functionality and only bypass it when the remote start is engaged.

Any tips appreciated!
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 pm

I recently just celebrated pulling my viper system out of my car so make biases noted.

Don't even bother with it unless you really need it. With the car having an alarm system and whatnot in it already, mine had some very uncool problems. Hopefully you can get a system that's strictly the remote start w/o alarm that will work. You'll probably resolve half the problems I experienced by getting that type of system.

My passkey was bypassed with a resistor. That works fine. Just make sure they (or you) do a good job of installing it. If it gets loose, you will be stranded places (like me) I don't think I would pay for any module or relay system to bypass the passkey. I don't see what a relay would do unless you still have a resistor put in somewhere which eliminates the point and the module would be an expensive but primative security feature. Just solder and heat-shrink a resistor in and you'll be set there.

I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine!
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 5:12 pm

Good points, Codith. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
rivman96
Enthusiast
rivman96

Name : Cameron
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 5:44 pm

I recently bought a Mars22 remote start system, and have since concluded that its way too complicated to install myself. I've been told I would have to get another key and put it in a box mounted under the dash for the bypass problem.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 9:20 am

Compustar. End of story.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 9:45 am

Excuse my ignorance but what is Compustar?
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 10:16 am

http://www.compustar.com/main.htm

This is one of the best alarms made, period.

Now im sure youve seen alarms similar to this... Well they were pioneers of the design with 2way feedback.

I had the top of the line one back in 1998. It would tell you if the car started, if a door was open, trunk, hood, flash lights. You can kill the cars siren but remote still goes off... If you want to catch/beat a theif.... lol
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:12 am

OK, Viper bad, Compustar good, Mars too complicated. Got it. smile

Looks like the Compustar 2W900FM-AS fits the bill for me and the price is decent on ebay.

Any other recommendations before I dive in?
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 7:24 pm

OK, I bought the 2W900FM-AS. 2 remotes and all the other options I wanted. I paced out the distance between my office and the car, it's 1000 feet. This has a 3000 foot range.

Thanks for the advice, Ryan.

Just stockpiling parts for now so I can install the stereo at the same time and only take the dash out once. Don't know how much longer i can live with no MP3 and manual morning starts, though! smile
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 6:28 pm

I just purchased a Autopage RS1000 that I will be installing next weekend. I'll report back on how the install goes. My son has the RS900 in his ford pickup that I installed and the range is unbelievable! Turtleman did you do the install on your viper system?
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 5:13 am

I bought a Compustar on e-bay a few years ago and I know some people that install alarms and remote starters, but heard about so many people having problems with their cars either not starting remotes stop working and other problems that I just cant remember. But anyways I went to a really good, 5star car audio shop and had them install it. The wiring diagram was very easy and I knew I could do it because I had done more complicated installations but I wanted to makesure that I would not have any problems and wanted a lifetime guarentee, which this was the only shop around me that would. I needed to purchse some bypass module for them also to install with the remote start/alarm, to keep all pass keyII funtions work properly, which is the one thing the wiring diagram through Compustar mentioned nothing about. Anyways they explained it to me, and I watched them due the complete install. This was about 3 or maybe 4 years ago and I have never had ANY problems what so ever with it.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Compustar had some issues with the "spread spectrum technology" but thats not the system he bought. Not many will as its just to expensive.
Back to top Go down
clazzicradiorepair
Amateur
clazzicradiorepair

Name : Nicholas
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 9:14 pm

And.... 9 months later I finally have remote start! YAY!!!! santa clap bounce

The missing link that wouldn't allow my car to start? The mysterious 3rd ignition wire that I mentioned back in March.

I took the steering column apart so I could see the wires coming out of the ignition/lock cylinder and I got it all figured out. The link at http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/372.html is correct - there is a 3rd ignition wire (Purple/White) that must be connected to the remote start's ignition wire (pink or pink/white) for the car to start. I was looking for a larger gauge wire, but this one is only ~24ga.

The interesting part is that the purpose of this purple/white wire that leads from the ignition cylinder to the rectangular C202 connector at the bottom of the steering column is still unknown to me...

I looked in my 95 factory service manual for a purple/white wire, and I found that the wire which goes to spot B6 on the C202 connector is actually a dark blue wire... such is not the case on my car! It also says this wire is part of circuit 338. Well I went through all 140 sections of schematics and could I find a circuit 338? Of course not. I'm guessing this wire has something to do with the fuel injectors...

So, yes, the remote start is possible, but not without the mystery wire. It doesn't help that there are other wires in row B that are also mislabeled in the manual... some are the wrong color and others (tan/white) are not listed at all! God help me if I ever have problems there!

I also found the alarm disable wire. I gave up trying to find it in the lower left kick panel (where you can pick from 5-10 wires of the same size and color...) and just traced it back to the door lock actuator itself - light green wire, can't miss it. Thankfully I only had a 'false alarm' when opening my door about 10 times this year without the wire - but it's still a nuisance.

If anyone ever figures out what the purple/white wire or ckt. 338 is, shoot me a PM. I'd love to know!
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 11:41 pm

8A-133-0 bottom of page
Back to top Go down
clazzicradiorepair
Amateur
clazzicradiorepair

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 9:56 pm

1995 Riv wrote:
8A-133-0 bottom of page

Okay I see a Purple/White wire on 8A-133-0, but that's circuit 1074... which I presume to be a different wire (the one for the VATS key).

Which brings me to the next item that doesn't make sense about this diagram. On my car (and others photographed here for the VATS bypass walkthru), the wires coming off of the resistor pellet contacts are white, and are sheathed in a black jacket of sorts. I don't know where GM gets the Purple/White from!

Has anyone else ever found that their factory manual does not match the wires in the car like I'm seeing? I've never noticed it with other installs/repairs.
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 9:59 pm

IIRC, they are ppl/wht on the other side of the C202 connector? Mine were white in a black sleeve as well but I pulled the C202 down and wired everything there.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 11:04 pm

I just got a Pyle watchdog alarm with remote start from a friend! I traded him my springs for a 80s monte carlo that I didn't need anymore. I was going to try and install it myself but now after reading this I think I will take it to a shop and have them install it. Any one know around how much they will charge me?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 3:09 am

8A-20-3 B6 Dark Blue wire circuit 338
Back to top Go down
clazzicradiorepair
Amateur
clazzicradiorepair

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:47 pm

1995 Riv wrote:
8A-20-3 B6 Dark Blue wire circuit 338

Which is the ignition module! Okay that answers my question. I had no spark.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Anyone with remote start?   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm getting a Viper 5301 remote start system installed Monday. I was wondering if anyone else has remote start and what features they have with it? I gotta ask monday if it's possible for it to control the rear defroster and the heated seats, and windshield defroster. It'd be cool to have all that automated. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else has this, and what it cost for the installation. I was going to try and attempt it myself considering I'm fairly good at understanding electronics and wiring, but even to me the diagrams looked like a tangled mess of labeled noodles.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 8:28 pm

From what I have read on here it appears that the Riv does not like the remote start or any other aftermarket add on such as an alarm. Be careful.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 8:39 pm

this is what ive been told too lecture
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 pm

I hope your system works better than the one that was in mine. I ripped that stuff out and I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone else. Mine didn't allow the heat&a/c to be on until the key was in. I had an older Viper system.

To be fair though, my problems would have been less annoying if the dealer that sold me the car gave me the correct OEM key fob with it and not one from an older GM model.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 1:01 am

My AstroStart works perfectly. Was in the car when I bought it. Same in our 05 van.

The heated seats likely can not be controlled remotely. I wish they could be left on so they'd be on with remote start. At work I start the car a couple minutes early when it's reeeaaaalllly cold outside.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 3:27 am

if you'r point on installing it is to warm up the car?

Then you could better install a remote webasto.
There will be one litle motor what burns fuel same time heatign up the engines cooltant and also blowing warm air int the interjor.

there are 2 ways, one whit the remote controll or GSM controll. so you can turn it on wherever you are whit you'r mobile phone.