Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems

Go down 
+28
albertj
J. Chris Davis
Eldo
sqrivi
Snowdog
robotennis61
ibmoses
GMFreak8
1wickedninja
1995 Riv
98RIV7777
Rickw
Ryan from Ohio
rivman96
turtleman
SToP
SourDiesel
clazzicradiorepair
stan
96RIVMANN
1998 Riv
palermocorey90
deekster_caddy
T Riley
Pearl Riv
jax95riv
mcgusto82
¤DoughBoy¤
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 pm

I see now. It isn't eliminating the Anti-theft feature of Pass-Key, It's just mimicking the resistance of the key while remote starting and keeping the pass-key function for when the car is parked with out the key in the ignition.
Well, now i can see why they charge $30 - $50.00 for the "module'.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Rickw wrote:
I see now. It isn't eliminating the Anti-theft feature of Pass-Key, It's just mimicking the resistance of the key while remote starting and keeping the pass-key function for when the car is parked with out the key in the ignition.
Well, now i can see why they charge $30 - $50.00 for the "module'.

Yeah. It's a little cleaner and still allows for the factory theft system to work. It's pretty cool actually how it works. The module just plugs right into the remote start module and handles the anti-theft features. You can actually hear the module click and shut off when you insert the key if it's quiet inside the vehicle. Then when you step on the brake after turning the key to the run position you hear another click and my particular starter pages the remote control and that makes a series of beeps letting you know that the remote starter passed control off to the cars ignition system.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 6:31 pm

That's cool, as long as all is working fine.
That's why earlier we were talking about the quality of the product and the quality of the install being a major consideration in the reliability and the associated problems other people have reported after having these aftermarket components installed, then suffering with no-start and dead battery problems or excessive drain on the electrical system. It all comes back to quality manufacturer and proper installation by a qualified tech.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Rickw wrote:
That's cool, as long as all is working fine.
That's why earlier we were talking about the quality of the product and the quality of the install being a major consideration in the reliability and the associated problems other people have reported after having these aftermarket components installed, then suffering with no-start and dead battery problems or excessive drain on the electrical system. It all comes back to quality manufacturer and proper installation by a qualified tech.

Yeah, this guy I really didn't mind paying the $200 to have it installed. I knew he was going to do a good job. I've had no issues whatsoever with the install. No battery drain and no security hiccups. I was crossing my fingers about the battery drain considering all my issues with that previously. Seems to be good since I disconnected that power antenna though. Even remote starts in -15 degree weather with no problem (other than my HUD turning off because it thinks the voltage has reached a low level).
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 6:55 pm

The fluctuation of available Battery Voltage in the winter is unavoidable unless you have the battery hooked up to a battery maintainer at all times when parked.
And certain system's are very sensitive or require the voltage to be in such a narrow range that you can't avoid a problem. Like your HUD wanting the voltage to be probably about 12.4 volts and up.
Well, after a very cold night the battery will drop below the optimum under normal circumstances. Again unless you hook up a Battery Maintainer. If you have an outside outlet available to you, Deltran makes a waterproof maintainer that is one of the better unit's on the market for about $45.00 comes with a quick connect harness that can be attached to the underhood connector and plugged in very easily without having to open the hood.
I use 3 of their regular (non-waterproof) unit's inside the garage for motorcycle battery's and the lawn mower battery, have used Deltran Battery Tenders for years with no problems.
They stay hooked up all year round or whenever the bikes or lawnmower aren't being used.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Rickw wrote:
The fluctuation of available Battery Voltage in the winter is unavoidable unless you have the battery hooked up to a battery maintainer at all times when parked.
And certain system's are very sensitive or require the voltage to be in such a narrow range that you can't avoid a problem. Like your HUD wanting the voltage to be probably about 12.4 volts and up.
Well, after a very cold night the battery will drop below the optimum under normal circumstances. Again unless you hook up a Battery Maintainer. If you have an outside outlet available to you, Deltran makes a waterproof maintainer that is one of the better unit's on the market for about $45.00 comes with a quick connect harness that can be attached to the underhood connector and plugged in very easily without having to open the hood.
I use 3 of their regular (non-waterproof) unit's inside the garage for motorcycle battery's and the lawn mower battery, have used Deltran Battery Tenders for years with no problems.
They stay hooked up all year round or whenever the bikes or lawnmower aren't being used.

Hmm, I wasn't aware that they were that cheap. I may get one of those. I'd like to get an oil warmer too. I'm not sure about that though. I've heard mixed things. Do you know of anyone here who has one?
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 11:54 am

Was there ever a remote start available from the factory for these cars?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:33 pm

J. Chris Davis wrote:
Was there ever a remote start available from the factory for these cars?

Not that I am aware of.

Many dealers did dealer-installed-aftermarket stuff.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 pm

Ok. That's what I had figured. I was hoping on an off chance that there was a factory one out there. I'll probably go with the Viper Smart Start since I have an android based phone.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 2:04 pm

J. Chris Davis wrote:
Ok. That's what I had figured. I was hoping on an off chance that there was a factory one out there. I'll probably go with the Viper Smart Start since I have an android based phone.

you might want to bump this thread and ask people who already have remote starts on their Rivs for opinions.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who's ever been happy with a remote start installation on a Riv due to electrical concerns - but I've only seen postings of problems not a real request for experiences and insights.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 2:06 pm

I've had and installed them on other cars. I just wasn't sure if there was a factory optioned one available.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 2:25 pm

J. Chris Davis wrote:
I've had and installed them on other cars. I just wasn't sure if there was a factory optioned one available.

You 're ahead of me in that regard, I have not installed any on the Riv. I have successfully helped trouble shoot and repair failed installations of remote starts on the Riv, and given the choice I would not install one. You'll probably succeed, however, since you have experience with them.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Well I work in cell phone and commercial two way radio communications. So if I can't figure it out I have two techinicians here that can help Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 Icon_win
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:11 pm

After a long read, I still don't know which unit is 5-star quality, and will:
> Allow 2-way communication at long range
> Function with the Riv alarm system
> Sound the horn when I lock and unlock (apparently GM hadn't thought of this important feature on the stock remote locking system)
> Do multiple other things, like open the trunk, turn on the heater/air

I'd like to put down my stock remote and carry just one that does all, bringing my '95 into 2011.

Anyone have knowledge of which works best yet?
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

Name : drew
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 11:17 am

viper 5704 remote start is waiting to be installed by "CustomSounds" a well known shop in tx. They have 4 shops here in Austin, and hopefully one of theses guys can get it right the first time. For $350 shop labor they better hope they do. Said would take 6-8 hours and would need the bypass "module" or resistor. Choice is up to me, I said just do the resistor if it will work the same. Will report back after the install. jesus please pray for me
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 11:27 am

I thought about the viper before, becuase of the phone app you can get for it.
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Got the viper installed today. Custom Sounds were beating around the bush with the whole thing, I took it across the street, and a old buddy of mine at another shop did it for $100. No problems to report. I have to figure out how to program all the featues as he wasn't familiar with the viper system. I did happen to get ahold of an itemizied list all the wiring colors, polarity,and location on the 96 Riv. that you would need for a remote start
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 6:36 pm

To be able to use the satilite service from your phone, you need another part prob around $100. First year of service is prob free, then you would have to pay for the sub. To much for me
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:47 pm

2 days problem free, I was able to oversee the entire install and i must say im very satisfied. If i leave my a.c / heater on when i turn off the car, it will be on when i "remote start". The heated seat feature does not, but there is multiple aux, that you could hook up. ex. Rear Defroster, Sunroof, Windows. Its nice to see the temp. in my car from the remote. I lost my factory key fob, so i wasnt able to open my trunk or use the OEM alarm to its fullest extent. This Alarm works well with the OEM alarm. Viper 5704
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 8:20 pm

This is all very promising stuff. If it works well with the goofy security system, that's a major triumph. Keep us posted, please smile
I like that temperature monitoring!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:29 pm

96rivie wrote:
2 days problem free, I was able to oversee the entire install and i must say im very satisfied. If i leave my a.c / heater on when i turn off the car, it will be on when i "remote start". The heated seat feature does not, but there is multiple aux, that you could hook up. ex. Rear Defroster, Sunroof, Windows. Its nice to see the temp. in my car from the remote. I lost my factory key fob, so i wasnt able to open my trunk or use the OEM alarm to its fullest extent. This Alarm works well with the OEM alarm. Viper 5704

Try this when you have a chance - if you lock the doors with the door panel lock button when you exit the car, you may completely arm the factory alarm system, which then may not disarm properly when your new system unlocks the doors. If it trips and blows the horn when you open the door, close the door and unlock it with your door key (different from the ignition key - make sure you have it and it works before trying this!)

If it does trip the alarm, remind anyone you let borrow the car to never press the door button to lock the car. I had this happen to my friends/family who used my car on several occasions.

Locking and unlocking the car with my aftermarket system never armed the factory alarm so this wasn't an issue.

It's possible a better installer may have installed it differently so this isn't a factor for you, but it would be good to know before you are surprised by it.
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:36 pm

The viper alarm has a factory alarm disarm, so the OEM alarm is bypassed and does not engage at all. I have exprienced that problem with the factory alarm, where i had to use the door/trunk key to shut up the horn.Now it is no longer a factor
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 pm

I'm probably going to grab a Viper system soon. I plan on getting the cheapest 2 way remote start. I don't like the ones with the screens on the key fobs (too gimmicky for me). Then I'm going to get the bluetooth module so that way I can remote start my car without having to pay the fees. The only problem is my range is limited to that of bluetooth (300 feet IIRC). Still close enough for me to start it up from inside my house on those cold winter mornings.
Back to top Go down
edward harmon
Amateur

Name : eddyku78

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 EmptyMon May 18, 2015 1:55 am

how do you hook up the door locks right every time i hit my brakes the door locks unlocks hook up to the wires n the door groument 95
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems   Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Security Alarm & Remote Start Systems
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4