Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Power steering problems

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Koswiththeriv
Special

Name : Ian h
Merit : 0

Power steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 10:56 am

Ok so when I first got my 97 tic I sometimes had these vibrations in the wheel when making turns. Now it’s gotten to the point where the power steering sometimes won’t work at all. It’s a bit dangerous as I’m only so strong and can only turn the wheel when accelerating. Please help, I need my car safe ASAP!
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 11:15 am

Have you checked the fluid level?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Koswiththeriv
Special

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 11:21 am

Yeah, just put some more in, was a little low but not substantially low.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 11:28 am

It's either the pump or the rack. My bet is the pump.

Back to top Go down
Koswiththeriv
Special

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 1:35 pm

Ok thank you
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyMon Sep 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Is there a way to differentiate problems between the pump and the rack?

Yes, but you need to tee in a pressure tester to see if the pump is putting out the correct pressure.  That is a specialized tool.  Usually, there are other clues, noises or leaks.  The OP doesn't mention any of that.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyMon Sep 02, 2019 5:22 pm

Yes, but you need to tee in a pressure tester to see if the pump is putting out the correct pressure. That is a specialized tool. Usually, there are other clues, noises or leaks. The OP doesn't mention any of that.

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyMon Sep 02, 2019 5:24 pm

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Koswiththeriv
Special

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyMon Sep 02, 2019 6:01 pm

So I just put in a new pump and was working great at first. But now I’m back to square one, only other thing it could be I’m guessing is a rack and pinion. As for the problem, it’s nearly impossible to turn at low enough speeds or not moving at all. There’s a very distinct vibration when you turn the wheel to fast or sometimes at all at low speeds. That being said I only have $480 in the bank until Friday and I am now officially Fucked. Not sure what to do other then hit up a couple friends that might be able to do it.
Back to top Go down
Koswiththeriv
Special

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyMon Sep 02, 2019 6:01 pm

On the bright side I won’t be needing a new pump anytime soon!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyTue Sep 03, 2019 10:48 am

Koswiththeriv wrote:
So I just put in a new pump and was working great at first. But now I’m back to square one, only other thing it could be I’m guessing is a rack and pinion. As for the problem, it’s nearly impossible to turn at low enough speeds or not moving at all. There’s a very distinct vibration when you turn the wheel to fast or sometimes at all at low speeds. That being said I only have $480 in the bank until Friday and I am now officially Fucked. Not sure what to do other then hit up a couple friends that might be able to do it.

The Magnasteer racks complete are like $160 shipped (check amazon). There's instructions on this site and youtube videos concerning installation. If you have a salvage yard in your area you can pull a rack off a same-year park avenue or aurora depending on the year. Salvage yard will know which.
Back to top Go down
Koswiththeriv
Special

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyTue Sep 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Ok thank you very much, just found a place that’ll put one in for about 500, unfortunately I don’t have the tools to do it myself or I would. That price isn’t including the part tho so I’m hoping that’s where I’ll save my money.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyTue Sep 03, 2019 11:57 pm

Koswiththeriv wrote:
Ok thank you very much, just found a place that’ll put one in for about 500, unfortunately I don’t have the tools to do it myself or I would. That price isn’t including the part tho so I’m hoping that’s where I’ll save my money.

$500.00 to install a rack that you provide.???? Even if their Labor Rate is $100.00/hr - they are saying it will take 5 hours to R&R a rack. That's way too much time. And I bet their labor rate isn't $100.00/hr so their saying it takes longer than 5 hr's to swap out the rack. I don't know what the rates are in your neck of the woods but I wouldn't have them gouge me like that. Even with the obligatory $89.00 4 wheel alignment that will need to be done. It's still over the top.

Run away and go somewhere else. That's highway robbery. Whoever does the install of a new rack make sure they flush out your new pump and the hoses with some fresh fluid to eliminate any contamination that may have come from the bad rack into the pump. Just a precaution. I would install an in-line filter made for Transmissions or Steering pumps/racks also.
They cost about $35.00 on Ebay and Amazon. Google search and you'll find them. I put one in the return lines of my rebuilt trans and one in the line from my steering pump.
After about 1.5 years of driving I pulled them and cut them open. The trans one was perfect, the power steering one has some stuff in it that I didn't like. So I flushed it again, installed another filter and ran it that way till I got rid of it.
As far as the trans, I just put a barbed fitting in the hose ends and tightened it up. No need to filter it anymore , after a rebuild and cooler flush.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 12:10 am

Hold on. Albert do you remember a Service Bulletin about power steering hoses collapsing and causing a problem similar to what the OP is saying his car is doing. My brain is mush these days but I remember something.

It would be a shame if he put a new pump, then has a rebuilt rack installed and still has the problem sometime down the road due to a hose collapsing internally.

IDK, I could be all washed up at this point, but I seem to have some faint recollection. Do Y'all still have access to all the SB's.???
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 5:46 pm

Rickw wrote:
Hold on. Albert do you remember a Service Bulletin about power steering hoses collapsing and causing a problem similar to what the OP is saying his car is doing. My brain is mush these days but I remember something.

It would be a shame if he put a new pump, then has a rebuilt rack installed and still has the problem sometime down the road due to a hose collapsing internally.

IDK, I could be all washed up at this point, but I seem to have some faint recollection. Do Y'all still have access to all the SB's.???

I remember a problem with noise from a PS hose.

The replacements generally available supposedly fix the problem. They run roughly $30 the set plus tax plus shipping from RockAuto.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 11:43 pm

albertj wrote:
I remember a problem with noise from a PS hose.

The replacements generally available supposedly fix the problem. They run roughly $30 the set plus tax plus shipping from RockAuto.

Ahh, yes you are correct. it was a noise issue. Not the same problem Ian is experiencing.

Thanks for refreshing my brain waves. Even if it only last's temporarily. But I knew you would remember.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyThu Sep 05, 2019 9:43 pm

I did the hoses and it is much better. I just get the vibration a little bit now. Can the hose be rubbing on something or do I just live with it?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 6:37 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
I did the hoses and it is much better. I just get the vibration a little bit now. Can the hose be rubbing on something or do I just live with it?

Brian,
I don't think the TSB on the power steering hoses pertained to the 99 year.
I believe they had already addressed that issue by then.
But then again I am loosing my memory somewhat, so maybe someone with access to the TSB's could better answer your question/situation.

If the hose is rubbing on something only you can know. Can't see it from 35,000 ft up.
You should inspect the hoses all the way through the complete system and anything looks even close, use a large plastic wire tie to hold the hose away from touching anything.
While it's jacked up and on Jack Stands, so you don't inadvertently crush your scull and make a mess in the driveway, you should get under the car with it running and have someone else turn the steering wheel slowly and evenly from stop to stop, left to right and watch if the hoses flex and touch something or anything they aren't supposed to touch. (which is everything)

Last edited by Rickw on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 6:38 pm

I saw it, the 99 was included. Not that it fixed it LOL. Eventually I may try a new power steering pump but I have other priorities first.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 6:49 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
I saw it, the 99 was included. Not that it fixed it LOL. Eventually I may try a new power steering pump but I have other priorities first.

Well, Just a suggestion. When you it does come back on top of your priority list, which I can understand, you may want to put a proper power steering/trans fluid filter in the return line to catch anything in the system.
Just google them or look for a Cardone Filter and use High Pressure Fuel hose clamps to tighten where you cut the hose and install the filter. They will hold the fluid in and not chafe the hoses.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power steering problems   Power steering problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Power steering problems
Page 1 of 1