Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mrdronenut
Special

Name : Mike Arthur
Merit : 0

SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE Empty
PostSubject: SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE   SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 11:01 am

I was told that I should keep up with the oil in my supercharger. Being new to this piece of equipment, I've been studying up on it.
I got my turkey baster,empty spray bottle,and 2 bottles of GM Supercharger oil from a company called "ZZPROFORMANCE.
I followed all the steps for extracting the old oil, which was veey black and smelly. I had less than 3 ozs when it was completely empty (very low on oil,i guess)
But,to my surprise, the new oil was clear, almost like machine oil. Is this correct? I don't want to mess up my Supercharger.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE   SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 11:44 am

mrdronenut wrote:
I was told that I should keep up with the oil in my supercharger. Being new to this piece of equipment, I've been studying up on it.
I got my turkey baster,empty spray bottle,and 2 bottles of GM Supercharger oil from a company called "ZZPROFORMANCE.
I followed all the steps for extracting the old oil, which was veey black and smelly. I had less than 3 ozs when it was completely empty (very low on oil,i guess)
But,to my surprise, the new oil was clear, almost like machine oil. Is this correct? I don't want to mess up my Supercharger.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, the old oil stinks.  Reeeeeeeally stinks.

ZZPerformance is great, just use that oil to fill your SC.  Park on level surface, fill to the bottom of the SC oil bung opening.

My guess is your SC snout weeps/leaks oil.

mrdronenut likes this post

Back to top Go down
knoxbroadcaster
knoxbroadcaster

Name : Charles
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE   SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 3:56 pm

I'm replacing my lower intake manifold gasket soon. The supercharger will be off the car. can I tip or turn over the supercharger to drain the oil? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE   SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 10:39 pm

Yes you can turn the SC upside down to drain it. Have done it before. Prepare for the stank of the oil.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE   SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 8:09 am

Just an FYI: The supercharger oil is a special oil with a very long (for this car's purposes, indefinite) service life. There are other posts about that on this site. Main reason to "change" the oil is to get rid of accumulated grit, of which there will not be much. I forget the reason why the oil becomes so stinky with age.

Some people with Series I superchargers use 5w-30 Mobil 1. It works but **really** needs to be topped/changed regularly as it is a somewhat lower spec than the special supercharger "whale oil" (it's not really whale oil). The nice thing is since you can fill the engine sump with 4 1/2 quarts of the stuff, the last 1/2 quart in that 5 quart bottle is more than enough for that top-off, usually.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE   SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE Empty

Back to top Go down

SUPERCHARGER OIL CHANGE
Page 1 of 1