Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Grinding, Groaning, Vibration

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
knoxbroadcaster
knoxbroadcaster

Name : Charles
Merit : 0

Grinding, Groaning, Vibration Empty
PostSubject: Grinding, Groaning, Vibration   Grinding, Groaning, Vibration EmptyTue Jul 12, 2022 2:54 pm

I have a 1998 Buick Riviera 257K miles and a grinding, growling, groaning noise and vibration. I replaced the front hubs but no improvement. Rear sound gritty when jacked up and turned. All 4 wheels seem solid no play. My question, can bad rear bearings sound like they are coming from the front? The noise and vibration are pretty intense and maybe I'm just thinking it's noise in the front end. Any Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Grinding, Groaning, Vibration   Grinding, Groaning, Vibration EmptyTue Jul 12, 2022 5:04 pm

Yeah, jack up the rear wheels, grab ahold of the tire and see if you can wobble it.  Any play means they are shot.   If it feels gritty, I would have stopped there..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Grinding, Groaning, Vibration   Grinding, Groaning, Vibration EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 10:04 pm

knoxbroadcaster wrote:
I have a 1998 Buick Riviera 257K miles and a grinding, growling, groaning noise and vibration. I replaced the front hubs but no improvement. Rear sound gritty when jacked up and turned. All 4 wheels seem solid no play. My question, can bad rear bearings sound like they are coming from the front? The noise and vibration are pretty intense and maybe I'm just thinking it's noise in the front end. Any Suggestions?

No play and sounding gritty -- you might have to dismount the wheel and turn the brake rotor, checking to see if the brakes are dragging or damaged. No dragging/damage? Bum bearing. The preload on these bearings may prevent play for a while when they first go bad.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grinding, Groaning, Vibration   Grinding, Groaning, Vibration Empty

Back to top Go down

Grinding, Groaning, Vibration
Page 1 of 1