Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?

Go down 
+25
The Roadmaster
cumminssmoker
DEMonte1997
skymilerjc
Abaddon
VJD2
robotennis61
Eldo
duckstu
BMD
deekster_caddy
Rickw
curious riv
sdconcepts
1995 Riv
ibmoses
97rivsc
manofmany
SC95Riv
99Rivman
1998rivman
1998 Riv
Jason
AA
albertj
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
skymilerjc
Special

Name : Joe Carney
Merit : 0

Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 10:48 pm

I had this issue as well, and had the hoses changed per the TSB, and the problem went away. However while driving and turning to the right, I have a grinding sound. The bearings and CV joints have been checked and are all good. No popping noise just a grinding sound and it gets worse if accelerating while turning to the right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ecssllc.com
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 10:52 pm

skymilerjc wrote:
...just a grinding sound and it gets worse if accelerating while turning to the right.

Sorry, but my vote is either outer CV joint(s) or hub(s)...
Back to top Go down
skymilerjc
Special

Name : Joe Carney

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 10:57 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will double check both.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.ecssllc.com
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 11:15 pm

While loading the right Hub Bearing and a grinding noise, hmmmmm.
That would be where I would be setting up a dial indicator to check for play if you can't feel it by hand.
Just remember to jack with a floor jack under the control arm when checking the bearing. First just try rotating the tire and wheel and feeling for roughness or listening for any noise, then pull on wheel / tire assy from 3 and 9 o:clock back and forth and then 12 and 6 o:clock positions. If no play is felt, then you will have to remove wheel and check hub with a dial indicator.
I think the manual says anything more than .008" and it's bad. Might even be less, they don't give much tolerance on them.
May want to double check the number.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 11:23 pm

Rickw wrote:

Just remember to jack with a floor jack under the control arm when checking the bearing. First just try rotating the tire and wheel and feeling for roughness or listening for any noise, then pull on wheel / tire assy from 3 and 9 o:clock back and forth and then 12 and 6 o:clock positions....

Definitely do that first part. When I had a "sealed hub-bearing combo" go bad on my last car, I was able to feel the play in the 12-to-6-oclock position...
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 12:13 am

Good info. One of a few issues I'm experiencing with the Riv now.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 8:20 am

Wow, .008" that's some seriously tight hub tolerance. Does it say how far out from center this allowance is specified?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
cumminssmoker
Rookie

Name : Riv-rook

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:28 pm

ibmoses wrote:
albertj wrote:
Update - okay, this isn't very funny, but I thought I should confess.

A while after I posted, I had the dealer flush the PS and fill with synthetic. Which made it quieter. Then just before Christmas I put in some Lucas 'power steering stop-leak, I guess 6 ounces or so, replacing some of the fluid. Largely because the stop leak was sitting around and the label said it quieted noisy systems... Stop leak was here because my son got an old Chrysler that had been sitting a while and he figured the Lucas fluid would puff up the seals (I told him don't bet on it just replace the pump and he said not so fast, I don't want to blow out the rack seals with the new pump so until I can do both this will have to do... he got the Chrysler another owner last week....)

Anyway - the Lucas fluid (at the time) did nothing. So I looked at my calendar to figure out when I could put in the TSB replacement PS hose. And realized there was no way I was gonna get to that until this summer at the earliest. Add to that that I took Randall's comment ("I couldn't see spending the money because it is very minor and only when stopped") seriously... and so I told myself 'fuggedaboudit.'

Well... the noise went away. And I had forgotten about it until seeing manofmany's post.

My guess it that the PS flush removed some crud and put in a more stable (synthetic) fluid; the Lucas is a very different viscosity than any PS fluid (it is about the consistency of dark amber honey at low room temperature). I suppose it took quite some time for it to mix completely with the new (very light) fluid.

So I confess to putting some 'goose juice' in my PS rack. But I am loath to post this as a fix: have your rack and pinion system flushed and refilled with synthetic fluid and then replace the synth you can suck with a turkey baster out of the pump reservoir with Lucas PS-repair-in-a-bottle and wait 6 months... Naaaaah I just don't wanna put my name on that.

Howeer if any of you have an explanation as to why this might have worked and if it might be repeatable, please post and let us know.

Albertj

I am planning on using a suction gun to remove the fluid from the resevoir(99Riv) and refill...then wait a few weeks and repeat this, maybe a few times to get as much new fluid in the system as possible without flushing it.

Just wanted some opinions on using the synthetic fluid-since I wont be removing all the fluid with the suction gun it will be a mixture of conventional and synthetic fluid. I am also considering some Lucas or other treatment in a small quantity.

Thanks for tips or opinions.

Bert
I realize this is an old thread, but why not just pull the hose from the bottom of the reservoir and drain it that way?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:44 pm

I used the suction gun, too. Took all of 10 mins. I think it's easier (for me) than getting under there and pulling the hose.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
The Roadmaster
Enthusiast
The Roadmaster

Name : Carl Alexander
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 5:23 pm

I know this is an old thread but I have the same problem with my 97. Before I caught this thread I had already added the Lucas treatment.

I bought a siphon from Autozone for $2 and took enough out to refill with a full bottle of the Lucas. The old fluid was not clear and looked perhaps contaminated, or just really dark in nature.

The Lucas has reduced the severity and frequency of the flutter. After reading this thread I will probably go ahead and change the hose as the TSB advised.

We'll try to photo journal the process.
Back to top Go down
The Roadmaster
Enthusiast
The Roadmaster

PostSubject: TSB # 99-02-32-007 A   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 6:27 am

I have the pdf file from GM if anyone wants it. Shoot me a pm and I will send it to you, or for however long it is hosted on the site, here is the link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/heavychevy396/2009-12-08_204148_moan_noise.pdf

I converted the pdf to jpeg to post it here, it's 5 images:

Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 2009-12-08_204148_moan_noise_Page_1
Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 2009-12-08_204148_moan_noise_Page_2
Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 2009-12-08_204148_moan_noise_Page_3
Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 2009-12-08_204148_moan_noise_Page_4
Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 2009-12-08_204148_moan_noise_Page_5
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks for the info, Carl. Nice to have everything right here for those looking to update their power steering.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
The Roadmaster
Enthusiast
The Roadmaster

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 9:11 am

You're Welcome. I was treading lightly with posting images that large. Some moderators don't mind, some do.

Better to ask forgiveness than ask permission. happy
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 4:03 pm

It's not the size of the image you need to worry about, it's the width. Try to keep width at 720px and it's all good.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Very nice post, Carl. As Aaron pointed out, it fits nicely without needing to scroll right & left.

I don't remember if I ever posted my results, but just as a caution I should mention that I have that same TSB for my '97. I replaced both hoses, the fluid, AND the pump, yet it didn't cure the problem... I still have at least one or two episodes per driving cycle.
Back to top Go down
The Roadmaster
Enthusiast
The Roadmaster

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Eldo wrote:
Very nice post, Carl. As Aaron pointed out, it fits nicely without needing to scroll right & left.

I don't remember if I ever posted my results, but just as a caution I should mention that I have that same TSB for my '97. I replaced both hoses, the fluid, AND the pump, yet it didn't cure the problem... I still have at least one or two episodes per driving cycle.

If a post does appear too wide, press CTRL and the minus tab until it does fit. Count the number of times you hit minus and when you are through press CTRL and the plus tab the same number of times to return to normal. You can take back control of your display that way.

As for the groan, it has been getting better with the addition of the Lucas treatment. I'll probably flush the system and try the synthetic fluid in another month. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Too nice a car to have that sound as an asset.

So, I have an air shock that is showing a sign it may be starting to leak. AC's or Monroe? I like the ride as it is and am not looking for more of a performance ride, Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Quote :
If a post does appear too wide, press CTRL and the minus tab until it does fit. Count the number of times you hit minus and when you are through press CTRL and the plus tab the same number of times to return to normal. You can take back control of your display that way.
That's why we have the 720px rule at this site - no member should be required to zoom in/out to see a variety of incorrectly sized images. We put that responsibility on the one who posts the image, to get it right the first time, like you did. A little forethought can prevent tens of thousands of unnecessary display adjustments by users. Think of all the time you're saving people!

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 6:12 pm

The Roadmaster wrote:

As for the groan, it has been getting better with the addition of the Lucas treatment. I'll probably flush the system and try the synthetic fluid in another month. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Too nice a car to have that sound as an asset.

So, I have an air shock that is showing a sign it may be starting to leak. AC's or Monroe? I like the ride as it is and am not looking for more of a performance ride, Suggestions?

I'm surprised Aaron didn't chime in on this, but I believe that the Monroe MA822 has
the conical GM quick-connect air fitting - so you can slap 'em in without an adapter kit.

I did a little googling for you, and the Monroes show up as anywhere from $60-100/pair.
I got more than one part # for the Delcos, but they were still in the same price range as the Monroes.

Personally, I'm torn - if I thought the Delcos were still US-made I'd say buy them because we've all
gotten good life out of them. If, however, I found out that GM had offshored these shocks just like
their water pumps and the Monroes were still American, I'd buy those...

Have fun! pirate
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:40 am

I have the Monroes (MA822) that I bought from www.rockauto.com. I have yet to install them, but yes, they have the conical GM fitting, and the box says "made in the U.S.A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
The Roadmaster
Enthusiast
The Roadmaster

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks Larry, Just ordered the Monroe MA822's ... $57.79 with free shipping from Amazon.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Ordered the "new" style power steering line that was outlined for mine in the TSB. Pat# 26059162 and im installing it tomorrow.

Ever since i installed my new rack and pinion i have been having the steering shutter. Probably due to tighter tolerances. either way its annoying.
Im also hoping it will reduce some of the power steering whine. Had that since i bought the car and ive had 3 different ps pumps rolleyes
new strut bearings is next on the list if this doesnt solve the issue.

Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
Ordered the "new" style power steering line that was outlined for mine in the TSB. Pat# 26059162 and im installing it tomorrow.

Ever since i installed my new rack and pinion i have been having the steering shutter. Probably due to tighter tolerances. either way its annoying.
Im also hoping it will reduce some of the power steering whine. Had that since i bought the car and ive had 3 different ps pumps rolleyes

Take some pictures of the replacement if you can.

Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 2:31 pm

98riv wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:

Take some pictures of the replacement if you can.

Sorry i finished the install before i saw your post. still need to get the air out and test drive but the R&R is pretty straight forward. Biggest pain is getting the ends to start threading straight into the rack and ps pump. i cant get a pic of the old hose but it pretty much looks the same as the new one.

Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Let us know if it takes care of the shudder when you get it bled. If they are still available, and it fixes the problem, I might give it a try on a couple of mine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 1:50 pm

99Rivman wrote:
Let us know if it takes care of the shudder when you get it bled. If they are still available, and it fixes the problem, I might give it a try on a couple of mine.

Didnt take much driving for me to notice it isnt doing it anymore. Really wish i would have spent the $70 and hour of my time to do this a long time ago.
Feels much better in parking garages and when taking slow corners. One of those things you get used to and dont realize how bad it is until you fix it.

You guys are going to think im crazy but the motor actually vibrates less when accelerating now. No idea why. Maybe the ps pump was under such strain it was causing issues at part throttle? Im sure swapping out the rest of the thick lucas fluid with regular (and thinner) PS fluid also helped too.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Steering shudder, pump or rack noise? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next