Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install

Go down 
+16
robotennis61
96RIVMANN
deekster_caddy
EatDirtFartDust
Rickw
albertj
T Riley
Jack the R
oldsman105
Jason
TType_Riviera
racinfan
AA
dreww
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyMon Nov 05, 2007 4:44 am

Link to Mr. Transmission install:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1748-write-up-transmission-cooler-install#18649

Link to Tru-Cool MAX install:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1748p45-write-up-transmission-cooler-install#108075

Alternate Tru-Cool MAX install:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1748p120-write-up-transmission-cooler-install#113920

________

ok, I really need this mod as I make more power and tow. I dont know what kind to get, or how big to get it? Any recommendations?

my tranny has gotten as high as 240degrees on my aeroforce gauge when towing. and over 200 when driving "spirited".

I dont want to get bigger than I have to because I dont have a ton of room for a huge one with the headers in the way now...and might even go with an intercooler one day in the future and thats ANOTHER peice that would have to fit down on the radiator/AC condensor. That would be stacked 4 deep. bad idea?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyMon Nov 05, 2007 8:31 am

If you keep the fluid fresh, I think you can get away with no trans cooler. I've thought about getting one because it's just one more way to exchange heat from the engine. For reducing KR, the more the merrier, imo.

Make sure you do it right if you do. Lines must be solid to contain 96 PSI.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyMon Nov 05, 2007 9:38 am

AA wrote:
If you keep the fluid fresh, I think you can get away with no trans cooler. I've thought about getting one because it's just one more way to exchange heat from the engine. For reducing KR, the more the merrier, imo.

well, a small cooler is pretty cheap, but will it make a difference?

Ive done alot to keep the car cool (fans adjusted, EGR gone, larger radiator, 180 stat, etc.) but none of it helps keep the tranny cool IMO, especially when towing. Im planning a trip this spring (towing my skis) and it will be about 4 hrs and dont wanna push the tranny that much without some protection. Although it runs alot cooler when the TCC locks up on the highway.

remember, I dont have a 4t65e either.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyMon Nov 05, 2007 10:36 am

I think GM makes a cooler that's pretty good.

From what I've heard, extreme heat can lesson the life of trans fluid, which in turn can cause problems, but heat itself isn't a primary reason for trans failure. So, as long as you change out the fluid frequently, there shouldn't be any harm from heat.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

Name : Joe
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyMon Nov 05, 2007 9:43 pm

Do the truck mod for towing.
Back to top Go down
TType_Riviera
Fanatic
TType_Riviera

Name : Rob
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyMon Nov 05, 2007 11:26 pm

from my understanding trans temps should never exceed engine temps...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131502/1
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyMon Nov 05, 2007 11:46 pm

I put my cooler in the front of the condenser, not behind the radiator. I made a write-up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyTue Nov 06, 2007 12:17 am

Jason wrote:
I put my cooler in the front of the condenser, not behind the radiator. I made a write-up.
arent there some cross bars in fromt of the condensor? I assume your cooler was thin enough that you didnt have to do any modifications?

what results did you see with the cooler?

thx
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyTue Nov 06, 2007 10:22 am

I just bent the metal mounting brackets with some pliers and a vise to mount the cooler in front of the braces. Then I painted the brackets with tremclad flat black rustproof paint.

I don't have a trans temp gauge, so I didn't notice anything. I just like having a transmission cooler.

write-up with photos
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyTue Nov 06, 2007 10:25 am

Oops... RegalGS.org not working at this time! Jason, any chance you could copy your write-up to our board?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyTue Nov 06, 2007 11:45 am

dreww wrote:
AA wrote:

Ive done alot to keep the car cool (fans adjusted, EGR gone, larger radiator, 180 stat, etc.) but none of it helps keep the tranny cool IMO, especially when towing. Im planning a trip this spring (towing my skis) and it will be about 4 hrs and dont wanna push the tranny that much without some protection. Although it runs alot cooler when the TCC locks up on the highway.

I took the Trans cooler out of a 1993 bonneville SSEi worked great and lowered my tempatures by 30 degrees.

I have to ask did your tempatures change when you added the headers?
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyTue Nov 06, 2007 7:20 pm

here is my write-up from regalgs.org:

I recently finished installing an auxiliary transmission cooler and the procedure outlined in the FAQ isn't quite accurate. You don't need to drill holes or cut into any part of your riv. This forum doesn't allow us to upload pics, and I am no computer expert, so I'll find a way upload some when my brother gives me a hand. It will make the whole thing much clearer.

This is how I installed it. You guys are smart enough to know which size socket to use on a bolt, so I won't go into excruciating detail. Aside from the cooler itself, you will need
a screwdriver
some key wrenches
an electric drill
a ratchet set
2 catch pans (a tupperware sandwich container or a coffee can will do)
and something with which to cut the rubber transmission line supplied with the kit.
I'm sure the installation would go better with air tools.

The Transmission cooler:

I used the Mr. Transmission kit which is sold at Canadian Tire. It's a repackaged Tru-Cool unit and is a stacked plate, self-regulating design. When Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is cold it is viscous. The self-regulating design allows the colder, thicker ATF to flow more efficiently through two open bypass channels positioned at the top of the cooler. As operating temperatures increase, the ATF becomes hotter and thinner. It is then directed through the core where it is cooled.
Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install 22714674022_large

It used to regularly go on sale (3 times a year) at 25% off and once a year at 40% off, but as of 03/2012 it has not gone on sale for 2 years. It comes with all the necessary mounting hardware. It's less expensive than the GM trans cooler kit , and doesn't use molded lines like the GM kit. I used the medium cooler, CT p/n 14-0105-0 (Tru-Cool p/n 4454). It's 7 1/4" x 11 x 3/4, has a recommended GVW of 18,000 lb and rated 13,000 BTU. I've used the huge CT p/n 14-0106-8 (tru-cool equivalent p/n 4490) which is 11 x 11 x 3/4", has a recommended GVW of 24,000 lb and is rated at 20,000 BTU, on my turbo regal and Roadmaster, but those cars' transmission see a little bit more abuse. I think the huge one would have been overkill for the riviera. The Tru-Cool MAX cooler used by Aaron has an even higher BTU rating, and if you operate your vehicle in temperatures below 0ºC the external cold weather bypass is required.

Installation:

1) mounting the cooler

Use the 4 supplied steel mounting brackets and use the existing holes and screws in the riviera to mount the cooler. I mounted it towards the passenger side, inlet and outlet towards the bottom. I anchored the mounts to
a) the lower passenger side bolt of the radiator "X" brace.
b) the lower, driver side bolt of the brace in front center of the radiator. (This brace holds the hood latch assembly)
c) the lower bolt on the hood latch assembly itself. Using the drill, you will need to enlarge one of the holes on the steel mounting bracket to get this bolt through the bracket.
d) the top passenger side bolt that is right next to the entire hood latch assembly brace. I had to shape this last steel mount to have 2 90 degree bends it so that the cooler would lie flat. It is quite easy to shape and can easily be bent with your bare hands.

Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install Coolerbottom9xw.th
Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install Coolerlowermount0la.th
Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install Coolertopmount2pt.th

You should put some self adhesive foam pads (supplied with this kit) on the hood latch assembly bracket where the cooler might come into contact with it to prevent scratching.

I recommend fastening the cooler to the mounts by inserting the bolts so that the head of the bolt and lock washer (both supplied) are on the radiator side, and the nut (supplied) is on the bumper side. tightening them will be much easier.

the trans cooler sits about 4 inches away from the radiator, and is approximately at the level of the bumper. This is the easiest, most convenient way to mount the cooler and since it is in front of the rad it maximizes the effectiveness of the cooler.

Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install Coolertop5el.th
Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install Frontview0wm.th

2) Connecting the cooler

i) Jack up the front of the car and use axle stands. You could also use ramps or if you are supremely lucky, a lift!

ii) remove the black plastic air dam/deflector. It is held in only by plastic retainers. Also remove the 2 bottom retainers of the passenger side inner fenderwell (also held in by plastic retainers). You'll probably need to pass your hand through there later on.

For those who don't know, in an automatic transmission, the transmission fluid flows from the transmission through the OEM cooler (which is inside the radiator) and back to the transmission. For the auxiliary cooler to be installed in series with the OEM cooler, it must be connected so that the transmission fluid goes through it after it has gone through the OEM cooler.

Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install Diagram4ad.th

iii) Place a catch pan under the passenger side radiator core and have the other one handy. The catchpans can be small because there is very little fluid that will leak out (much less than 1/4 quart)

now comes the hard part. It is VERY difficult to efficiently reach the lower radiator area because of the lack of space.

iv) from under the car, disconnect the transmission line that exits the radiator with a wrench (or locking pliers). A bit of trans fluid will leak out of the core (into your catchpan). Place your other catch pan under where the steel line rests when you let it go.

There a might be "capital B" shaped clamp holding the trans lines down there. Mine was simply loose and resting on the airdam. It fell out when I removed the airdam so I don't know where it goes. Disconnect it if necessary.

v) connect the appropriate 3/8" adapter (supplied) into the radiator. The kit comes with 4 fittings (2x5/16" and 2x3/8"). You won't be needing the 5/16".

vi) Attach the rubber hose (supplied) to this fitting. Be sure to slip a hose clamp on before hand. The most difficult part of the install was tightening the damn hose clamp because there is no room and it keeps slipping. Make sure the hose clamp isn't at the very end of the hose and MAKE SURE NOT TO DOUBLE HOSE CLAMP ANY CONNECTION POINT. Ideally, use fuel injection clamps as they won't damage the hose.

vii) Run the hose through the opening on the passenger side of the radiator to either of the outlets on the cooler. I used the outlet closest to the passenger side, but the oil can flow in either direction through the cooler. Roughly measure and cut the hose, all the while remembering to add about 1 inch to what you just measured. You do NOT want to end up with a hose that is too short or a bend with too small a radius.
The minimum recommended radius on an 11/32" hose is 3.5".
Slip a hose clamp (supplied) over the end of the hose and secure it to the fitting.
They recommend 15-20 inch-lbs of torque on the the hose clamps if anyone actually bothers to use a torque wrench.

vii) repeat the process of the previous steps but obviously after connecting one end of the remaining hose to the free outlet of the cooler cooler, connect the other end to the steel line you previously disconnected from the radiator. You will need to attach the last 5/16 adapter to the steel line in order to attach the hose to it. Be sure to secure both ends with hose clamps.

When routing the hoses, pass them inside the hollow grey plastic "chin spoiler" or airdam that is beneath the bumper. It makes it much cleaner looking.

3) checking the installation

i) check all mounting bolts and clamps for tightness
ii) make sure rubber hoses are free of kinks, and away from sharp edges. You don't want to restrict the flow.
iii) in "park" start the engine and let it run for a minute or two.
iv) stop the engine and check all connections for leaks.
v) Check trans fluid level. You will most likely need to add fluid. I like type F.

4) Re-install the airdam

the trick for those plastic fasteners is to pull the part shaped like a nail halfway out of the ring, insert the ring into the airdam first and then push in the part shaped like a nail. Don't forget the inside of the fenderwell if you unfastened it.

During your first week of operation, check the connections and fluid level regularly.

I will upload pics as soon as I can. I think i will paint the shiny metallic mounting brackets flat black (with tremclad rustproof paint) because you can see them when looking at the front of the car. In retrospect, I should have painted them before the installation.

Please note that since the car is jacked up during the install, it's the ideal time to change your back plugs because you can actually see what you're doing. I changed my back plugs to 104s while my car was jacked.

[edit] Since most people probably won`t read this thread to the end, it's noted later that the upper trans line in the rad is the return hose for trans fluid. Since I use my car mostly in the winter I have elected to leave the cooler in series BEFORE the radiator cooler to regulate trans temps. To maximize heat transfer, you should be connecting it to the TOP line.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jason on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 1:07 am

oldsman105 wrote:
dreww wrote:
AA wrote:

I took the Trans cooler out of a 1993 bonneville SSEi worked great and lowered my tempatures by 30 degrees.

well, the real strain on the tranny is when I tow, and I should be taking the skis to the lake this week so I can test it then. But I dont think the headers will help that much. might help with towing power, but if anything the tranny might just run hotter.

30 degrees would be great. 40 even better. that would keep me at 200 max under the worst conditions (ive seen so far).

thanks for moving that write up jason!

couple updates on this:

I installed a slightly different way from Jason, partially cause our cooler kits are different.I didn't have mounting brackets, but instead the plastic "screws" you push through the radiator/cooler/condensor fins to secure it. I only used 3 screws since the cooler is so small. But it is mounted.

I completely removed the passenger side cooling fan, makes it ALOT easier to get to that lower transmission line. BUT, the fittings with the cooler kit of course dont fit my car (and why would they? rolleyes )

making matters worse, Im having difficulty finding a part to fit. All the ones that look like they fit don't work. Same BS problems I had with the fuel pressure gauge install. And I cant get a cooler hose ( that came with the kit) over the stock tranny line. And I though rubber was flexible? So thats another challenge Im working on.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptySat Nov 24, 2007 2:49 pm

Interesting. I mentioned this mod on regalgs.org years ago, and this is what happened:

poop

IIRC the sentiment was that trans coolers don't make a difference, but add extra points of (catastrophic) failure.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptySat Nov 24, 2007 3:13 pm

Yeah, that was me partly. I'm still not sure about them, but I'm also on the verge of needing a new trans at 150k. I think they are a good idea if you will be towing in the mountains.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptySat Nov 24, 2007 10:27 pm

AA wrote:
Yeah, that was me partly. I'm still not sure about them, but I'm also on the verge of needing a new trans at 150k.

Heh but you should be the poster boy for 4T-65E reliablity. You got your moneys worth out of it.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptySun Nov 25, 2007 2:01 pm

If I can get a few 1000 extra miles out of my transmission for 60 $ and maybe 1.5 hours of time, I think it is worth it but it isn't absolutely necessary.
If you live in an area with a lot of hills (like me) your transmission with stock programming will often hunt for 3-4. It gets old fast and constantly unlocks and locks the TCC. It will also lock and unlock the TCC. Driving with the TCC disengaged makes the trans fluid heat up a lot more.

I just put a shift kit on my roadmaster (4L60e transmission) with 45000 miles. It took 14 hours but I got it done. The 3-4 band was already toast because of the abysmal programming and gear ratio which made it hunt for OD all the time. It had a factory external cooler, which is sufficient IMO. But you can see how it isn't ideal to leave the car in OD if you are driving along at 42-45 mph.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyMon Nov 26, 2007 12:43 am

AA wrote:
I think they are a good idea if you will be towing in the mountains.
IMO, towing at all.
cars aint made to tow.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyMon Dec 24, 2007 12:44 am

dreww wrote:
oldsman105 wrote:
dreww wrote:
AA wrote:

well, the real strain on the tranny is when I tow, and I should be taking the skis to the lake this week so I can test it then. But I dont think the headers will help that much. might help with towing power, but if anything the tranny might just run hotter.

30 degrees would be great. 40 even better. that would keep me at 200 max under the worst conditions (ive seen so far).

thanks for moving that write up jason!

I got to test the cooler today. Highest I saw was 204 degrees, but the outside temp was only about 60-70. So noticeable improvement for such a small cooler.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyMon Dec 24, 2007 12:44 am

GRRRRRRRRRR its 7* here............
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyTue Dec 25, 2007 12:31 am

what, I couldnt read that because its so sunny and nice here, smile
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Question: did you install an auxiliary transmission cooler?   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:27 pm

just wondering who's put one in, why you did and how it's working out.

Please post, describe your experience with it. Where on the Riv did you mount the cooler, how did you route the hoses, did you use rubber or metal tubing to connect it, etc.

Thanks

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 12:33 am

yes. I made a how-to about it as one of my 1st posts at regalgs.org.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 9:36 pm

i have one. didnt need it except for i was towing with the riv before i got my truck. kept trans about 20 deg cooler but was a small trans cooler. i dont think they are necessary really. doesnt help prvent slipping from too much HP thats for sure
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 9:52 pm

I mentioned the possibility on regalgs.org once and got flamed for adding potential points of failure to the transmission system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install   Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Transmission Cooler Install
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next