Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)

Go down 
+64
97rivman1
AlienShoe
charlieRobinson
th3fr4nchi5e
LaFlare
matt270avian
designer1962
Z-type
highwaywarrior
The Roadmaster
crstump
RidzRiv
GEAREDUP
robotennis61
ejeraser
Cmurphy
Lenrapkins
BMD
97 park ave
Abaddon
Natesriv
Eldo
LARRY70GS
Hometown Hero
crosss3
T Riley
rivman96
Rickw
curious riv
captshiner
gotboost?
lyonsperformance
manofmany
riviera2454
Lucas
ibmoses
TonySmooth89
1wickedninja
albertj
baynes72
RhinoFLA
ZEP
1998 Riv
sburch23
overownt
deekster_caddy
IBx1
ewolfe0050
Buapo
dreww
Shintsu
BillBoost37
Jason
shrek90
Mr.Riviera
oldsman105
turtleman
urbsnspices
98riv
AA
NO 4 EVR
robertwolf86
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
LaFlare

Name : G
Merit : 2

FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 11:40 pm

post keeps disappearing?? i swear im not trippin lol
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

PostSubject: knocking sound coming from supercharger??   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 5:39 pm

hi not sure if this is da right thread to post in but its better i guess rather than making a new thread.. my 98 riv which is only at 97k miles started making this knocking noise:

i had a family-friend mechanic take a look at it and with da use of a stethoscope it was definitely coming from da supercharger. i know nothing about cars and he said most likely i need to replace da whole supercharger..

but what do you guys think, i didnt get a chance to read this whole thread i am just trying to ask right quick before i head to work, thanks in advance

**i replied in the supercharger sound thread but da thread itself kept disappearing?? idk shrug
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 5:41 pm

do these replies have to me mod approved or do i have a restriction on posting or am i trippin lol
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 8:32 am

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t3009-faq-supercharger-noise-bad-coupler?highlight=coupler

Read this thread. Chances are, it's the S/C coupler that's bad. It can be replaced in about an hour if your mechanic is any good.
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 2:26 pm

the sound is not only when idle but when i drive though... i mean its only at 97k miles and im hoping its just the coupler but like i said my mechanic made the quick conclusion that i need to replace the whole supercharger unit. im gonna talk to him again but based on my video what do you think it is?? ive read 5 pages in and 5 pages at the end of that thread. ill try to get thru the whole thread when i dont have work but it sucks im not handy with cars myself so i can safe time (and money) especially when my mechanic is a busy man and only available once a week
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 2:35 pm

One way to know if it's deeper than the coupler is to check the oil in the supercharger. This isn't so hard to do. If there is no oil in it, or very low, your mechanic could be right. If there is oil in the unit, it's very unlikely the blower snout bearing is failing. I've seen these superchargers run with little or no oil, probably for a long lengths of time by the time it's discovered.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 2:55 pm

The video doesn't sound like a worn coupler to me? It sounds like a rod knock? If you or someone else remove the belt from the supercharger, you can check if there is play in the pulley. You don't need to be handy with cars for this, you just need to have a wrench. If there isn't a considerable amount of play, it's not the coupler. I would then remove the SC belt from all the pullies it sits on and tuck it aside away from moving parts and start the car. If the noise is gone, your supercharger is bad. If it remains, the Supercharger is not the issue. A coupler rattle sounds a lot less consistent than that usually. Mine sounded like my car was grinding stones in the Supercharger and it came in surges, only at idle. It would take you a wrench and no more than 30 min to figure out what your issue is. Hope this helps. There are threads for belt removal.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 3:03 pm

When my coupler was bad, with the belt off the pulley, I could wiggle the pulley back and forth.

If your pulley is solid and doesnt wiggle, then its not the coupler.

It sounds like valve train noise to me....

FIX IT AND DONT GIVE UP!
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 3:14 pm

there indeed was enough oil in the sc and we even replaced it. he let me use the stethoscope to hear for myself and it was definitely coming from the supercharger and not anywhere else... i wonder what caused this
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 4:25 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
When my coupler was bad, with the belt off the pulley, I could wiggle the pulley back and forth.

If your pulley is solid and doesnt wiggle, then its not the coupler.

It sounds like valve train noise to me....

FIX IT AND DONT GIVE UP!

-This.

Coupler is very quick and easy check. Pop the tensioner back with a wrench and take the belt to the SC off. Grab that pulley and wiggle back and forth.(Direction of belt travel.) If you have to ask yourself if what you feel is enough of a wiggle, then all you are feeling is gear play and its not your problem. If its the coupler you will wiggle it back and forth and say "well, holy crap, this is for sure what it is."

(And never listen to any mechanic who says you need a new blower. Short of the coupler there isn't much that goes wrong with a blower on a running engine. Coupler is a 10$ part. Not faulting the mechanic that recommends replacing the whole thing, its just not being familiar with these particular blowers.)

Special

Name : AlienShoe
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Idle noise.   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 6:06 am

So the problem is my engine has been making a noise at idle. the noise stops when you give it some gas.
So I've been doing a little looking around at people that have similiar issues and it seems like the problem is the flex plate. I understand they arent too expensive, but i know that anything involving trans is a bit of a hassle doing by yourself. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 8:41 am

Flex plate??! That is NOT a common issue. Are you referring to the inconsistent rattle noise coming from under the hood at idle only?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 1:26 pm

If the engine is supercharged, you may be hearing the coupler rattle.  The coupler is relatively easy to do on the Series 2 M90 Eaton SC, less so on the Series 1 M62 Eaton SC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
AlienShoe
Special

Name : AlienShoe

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 4:46 am

I would say its almost like a knocking at idle, does the coupler usually do that?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 3:02 pm

AlienShoe wrote:
I would say its almost like a knocking at idle, does the coupler usually do that?

Yes it does, like a rattle. Very common.

Back to top Go down
97rivman1
Special

Name : Shannon

PostSubject: replaced coupler...still noisy!   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 3:25 pm

my 97 has been in the family since new.ive had it for 3 years now.i know a good bit about these cars but cant get past this issue..noisy supercharger.I replaced the coupler and oil and no change.you can hear the noise through the air intake.when the car warms up the noise is mostly gone.if its cold it goes away around 1800 rpm...anyone have a clue if its the bearings in the supercharger??
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 3:39 pm

Are you still using the original air box or do you have another set up installed liked a cold air intake? I have a cold air fender well intake thats 3" and when it's cold outside I can hear it making noise while it's sucking in air till the car warms up. Then it goes away.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 4:06 pm

J. Chris Davis wrote:
Are you still using the original air box or do you have another set up installed liked a cold air intake?  I have a cold air fender well intake thats 3" and when it's cold outside I can hear it making noise while it's sucking in air till the car warms up.  Then it goes away.

X2.  If the baffles in the air intake have been removed, you will hear that noise when cold.  It's sort of like a grinding noise.  It goes away when warmed up.  That is normal.

Back to top Go down
97rivman1
Special

Name : Shannon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 12:30 am

I have removed the air box.i had it gutted first but have heard the noise since.still running stock ac-delcos.cant stand autolite plugs.i work in the marine industry and see them fail often.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 8:19 am

X3 on the noise. Both of my Rivs make that noise when first started, then it goes away. The noise is WAYYY more apparent on the '98 with the modified Intake. A bad coupler literally sounds like there's rocks in the S/C. It can also sound like a "rod knock". There's no mistaking the sound really.

Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:00 am

X4. Even after I replaced the coupler mine still makes noise on startup.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:08 am

X5
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 11:01 am

Doing anything to the air intake will increase noise levels, especially when cold. It does not mean the coupler (or anything else) is bad. There are a few benefits to keeping the car stock, and this is one of them.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
billfrank85

Name : Will

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 1:20 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
If the engine is supercharged, you may be hearing the coupler rattle.  The coupler is relatively easy to do on the Series 2 M90 Eaton SC, less so on the Series 1 M62 Eaton SC.

M62 needs to pretty much be removed to replace the coupler. Just did it on mine a few weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
treasureoak
Special

Name : Allan Browning

PostSubject: new coupler and bearings, SC still noisy, now what?   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 7:12 pm

I replaced the SC snout with a rebuilt one, but rattle is still there. Probably not a total waste though because I noticed an oil leak a few times around the SC pulley, so at least I have new seals and bearings along with my new coupler. But I don't know how to eliminate the noise. Maybe I should look/listen closer to the other pulleys. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)
Page 12 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next