Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Power Antenna ??

Go down 
+12
dscott2000
duster_do_little
deekster_caddy
Chicken
lionfish
albertj
ibmoses
1998 Riv
Natesriv
Rivierachubbyboy
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 8:11 pm

Okay gang, I got the part in today and it's all WRONG!

It's right in the sense as to what is it, but it's not what I need...let me explain...

I ordered off GMpartsdirect.com what I thought was the mast of the antenna. Well what I got was 2/3 of the antenna. The actual part I need is the thinnest, tallest part of the antenna... the instructions that came with it refer to it as the "100 Rod" part... I think that's a welding term for the size of the metal...but I'm not sure.... Anyhow... the Finial is the round top part of the antenna...that unscrews from the 100 Rod and you can then remove the 2nd and 3rd sections of the antenna... Well the part I ordered only contains the 2nd and 3rd sections, the finial and the black base part...no 100 Rod

Well, the nylon cord is a permanent part of the 100 Rod piece.... I don't need the 2nd and 3rd parts.... so SHIT, I've got new parts I don't need and to return a $34 part would be a $20 restocking fee... but I think GMpartsdirect is using false advertising...look at this diagram..does it look like all of the antenna is part of the deal (it's part #4)?
Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 AD95099

So I need the 100 Rod part... there is now way to remove the cable from the 100 rod part...it's clamped and sealed as one.... so I'm kinda pissed that I didnt' get what I need......

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 8:14 pm

wtf...you didnt get the whole thing?????
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 9:35 pm

I agree... just order the complete assembly.

So is the 100 Rod part # 1 in that diagram?
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Chicken wrote:
wtf...you didnt get the whole thing?????

Shit, I'm not paying over $100 for an antenna on a 12 year old car...

No, they didn't sent the whole thing...but according to the instructions...this is the correct part...... but I need that thinnest metal piece of the antenna...

What a pain in the butt... might visit the salvage yard today or tomorrow....
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 3:03 pm

That is odd, as the diagram at first glance would seem to indicate you would get the whole 3 piece mast. I'd suggest calling the dealer just for info about that part number you ordered. Ask them if that part number is the whole 3 pc deal, or just the 2 lower sections. I think you got screwed over on this deal. I do not understand why the very top section wouldn't be included in that number. It isn't identified otherwise in the diag.

I can see you're thinking on the 12 yr old car vs $100 antenna. But I plan on driving mine for quite a while, so I see it as a reasonable expense for me. See your point of view though, esp since you can't get credit for a return.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Yeah, I put the new parts on, why not, guess I'm keeping them.

I will call the dealer.... be interesting to see...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 4:01 pm

maybe wrong part was packed or parts counter guy made a mistake - they can't ship that many antennas.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 9:18 pm

NO it's correct... I read the instructions and they mention removing the two mast pieces past the part I need, then reinstalling them OVER ther part I need...and the included drawings don't show that part...

It's freakin odd!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 9:18 pm

NO it's correct... I read the instructions and they mention removing the two mast pieces past the part I need, then reinstalling them OVER ther part I need...and the included drawings don't show that part...

It's freakin odd!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 am

That's just plain goofy, if you ask me. They don't even list the center section as a separate part to order. You might want to see if your local dealer can supply that center mast section with the nylon cord. Might be worth buying new instead of a salvage yard piece. The nylon cord is the part that wears, so your antenna won't raise and lower properly. It's a crap shoot at the yard.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 9:15 am

By the way, my complete antenna showed up yesterday, made in Mexico.

Sure wish GMPD would charge reasonable shipping fees to go along with their great prices. Part: $117.63, Fedex: $10.53, Handling: $15.35 frown It came in a box, in a box. The smaller box was big enough to have been packed with protective materials and shipped. Instead they left the ant unprotected and loose in the smaller box, and put it in a much bigger box with lots of packing papers. Sure it's safely packaged, but would have been just as safe in the smaller box. I'll bet that's where a lot of the handling fee comes from.
Back to top Go down
lionfish
Enthusiast
lionfish

Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 12:07 pm

1998 Riv wrote:

Sure wish GMPD would charge reasonable shipping fees to go along with their great prices. Part: $117.63, Fedex: $10.53, Handling: $15.35 frown It came in a box, in a box. The smaller box was big enough to have been packed with protective materials and shipped. Instead they left the ant unprotected and loose in the smaller box, and put it in a much bigger box with lots of packing papers. Sure it's safely packaged, but would have been just as safe in the smaller box. I'll bet that's where a lot of the handling fee comes from.

The antenna I purchased in 2005 was made in Mexico. It came with a metal strap that I attached to the bottom of the antenna and the existing mount on the frame. It works great and fits flush on the outside.

I just ordered some new struts (#25688530) for the trunk from GMPD for 23.43 each Handling and Shipping is 10.95. My local Delco parts center wanted over $100 for the same items.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 4:36 pm

Nice savings on the struts. Mine are still very good.

My new ant. also has the steel strap. Hope to install soon.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 2:44 pm

Antenna installed, radio died. frown
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 8:51 am

I went to the salvage yard, looked for a Riv...none. however, seems to be a lot of Auroras there, so I took one from it, slight mod on the part which bolts to fender (replaced with OEM Riv part) and bingo..I'm back in business

$12.96
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 am

Cool, glad you're fixed. BTW, my service manual states that the 100 Rod is not replaceable.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 1:47 pm

I bet it's not. Avanced auto had a 100 rod, but the cord was notched like a gear tooth. The OEM is just a thick piece of plastic wire.

Oh well, GM uses that type of antenna a lot it seems, so I'll just keep visiting the junk yards (if it should happen again )
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 4:26 pm

Huh, I thought it was supposed to be notched. Are you sure your OEM wasn't just worn smooth? I've been told it should have teeth.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 4:27 pm

It probably IS serviceable. Just like the dealer says you can't service the SC...
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 7:58 pm

1998 Riv wrote:

I might just have to order one of these. Any advice?
Piece of the cake to swap it out?

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 11:28 pm

Simple swap, 10 minutes if you have a beer. Unhook your battery first. smile
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 10:07 pm

...ask Dave how he knows about the battery thing - and heed his sage advice.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 11:05 am

1998 Riv wrote:
Huh, I thought it was supposed to be notched. Are you sure your OEM wasn't just worn smooth? I've been told it should have teeth.

Nope, when i took my antenna apart, the thick wire just wraps around a spool and is kinked at the end so it sticks into the spool. The entire spool turns and forces the 100-rod up & down. The wire is thick enough, and the distance short enough that it just pushs the 100-rod easily.

Tonight when i get home I'll snap a pic
Back to top Go down
duster_do_little
Enthusiast
duster_do_little

Name : Dustin
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 12:34 pm

so, why didn't you just unplug the wires?
Back to top Go down
duster_do_little
Enthusiast
duster_do_little

Name : Dustin
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Power Antenna with aftermarket stereo   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 10:05 am

I was just wondering how I could get the antenna to just go up when the car is turned on and just go down when I shut the car off. Right now whenever I take a cd out the antenna goes down and when I put one in the cd goes back up. It doesn't bother me too much, but I feel it's a lot of premat wear on the motor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Antenna ??
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next