Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector

Go down 
+9
GMFreak8
ZEP
turtleman
deekster_caddy
T Riley
Mr.Riviera
AA
Rickw
Eldo
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector Empty
PostSubject: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 1:23 pm

I bought a spare splash shield back in 2005 because the original was ground down quite a bit. It cost $16...

This week the old one was finally bad enough to replace, so I put in the spare and decided I ought to buy another one. My parts guy at the dealer said the factory had sold them off to an aftermarket company, and with shipping the new one is going to cost 80 fargin' bucks!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Eldo wrote:
I bought a spare splash shield back in 2005 because the original was ground down quite a bit. It cost $16...

This week the old one was finally bad enough to replace, so I put in the spare and decided I ought to buy another one. My parts guy at the dealer said the factory had sold them off to an aftermarket company, and with shipping the new one is going to cost 80 fargin' bucks!

Put new springs in, their about the same price, and raise your ride height up to where it belongs and you won't grind down the plastic.
Since I put new springs in the front of mine along with new struts I can't remember hitting the "Curb Finder" since.

I planned on cutting up the old one, and with some plastic welding, making an air duct from down below into the fender well area. At least that's been the plan, haven't done anything yet.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:11 pm

I thought about it after you mentioned it before, but was surprised to find that the trim height was within specs...

On the plus side, a new brake pedal pad only cost $7, and the S/C oil was less than $6 a bottle.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:35 pm

It's possible the old springs may support the vehicle at correct ride height, yet not be within proper spring rate spec. Under load, the older springs may bring the vehicle closer to the ground than newer ones.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Once i installed new springs I saw a noticeable 2" increase in my front ride height from my old springs.
It even altered the caster a bit.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:43 pm

sorry to go off-topic, but where in the hell did you find S/C oil for $6 a bottle?!? i used to get it for like $8 with 20% off, now i'm lucky to get it for less and $13 after tax.

2" ride increase? must look like a monster truck or else your oem springs were that bad lol i went the opposite direction when i did springs.

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks for the input, Aaron. If it had a 'normal' suspension, I'd throw the springs in anyway... But with these damned struts, I don't feel like finding someone to take them all apart again. And hey, it probably improves the highway mileage! smile

Rick: Was your car below trim height specs before you changed the springs?
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm

I don't have a splash shield haha.. i ripped that garbage off
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm

You went with lowered springs.
I measured the increase in height at the time, from my tire to the fender, it increased 2".
Yes my front springs were bad at 78,000 miles and 10 years old.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:48 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
sorry to go off-topic, but where in the hell did you find S/C oil for $6 a bottle?!? i used to get it for like $8 with 20% off, now i'm lucky to get it for less than $13 after tax.

I was thinking the same thing... I get 25% off at the Chevy dealer, so the list price would be $8. Why are there 'discount' places selling it for more?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:48 pm

Eldo wrote:
Thanks for the input, Aaron. If it had a 'normal' suspension, I'd throw the springs in anyway... But with these damned struts, I don't feel like finding someone to take them all apart again. And hey, it probably improves the highway mileage! smile

Rick: Was your car below trim height specs before you changed the springs?
I did not know about the FSM "Trim Height Specs" until after doing the springs and then buying a set of manuals.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Quote :
And in doing so you've increased drag and high pressure under the car. This means your top speed drops, and your car becomes less stable at speed. Cool mod.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:56 pm

And let's not forget: the engine bay gets dirtier, too!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:57 pm

AA wrote:
Quote :
And in doing so you've increased drag and high pressure under the car. This means your top speed drops, and your car becomes less stable at speed. Cool mod.

As well as disrupting airflow through the radiator and engine bay.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 2:58 pm

Eldo wrote:
, and the S/C oil was less than $6 a bottle.
You need to buy more SC oil and sell it on here if that seems to be such a good price to everyone.
I don't remember how much i paid at the dealer the first time.
Since then i bought one 8 oz.bottle from Intense and still don't remember what i paid.
it's not like your changing this stuff every month.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 3:02 pm

AA wrote:
It's possible the old springs may support the vehicle at correct ride height, yet not be within proper spring rate spec. Under load, the older springs may bring the vehicle closer to the ground than newer ones.
This is absolutely what i was encountering. With every bump and driveway rise i was scraping.
That was enough for me to buy OEM springs and replace everything else while I was doing it.
Built new strut assemblies and replaced old.

Next time I replace springs will be to lower the car with a set of 18" wheels.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 3:24 pm

If these things are indeed crapping out so soon, if I were to change them I'd probably go with Moog...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Are you talking about springs crapping out so soon.?
Mine were 10 years old, I don't think that is too soon.
For me to worry about replacing them again in ten years. Well 8 years now. I probably won't have the car then to worry about it. And if i do $100.00 for springs is not too much to pay in my eyes. Or whatever they will cost in 8 years, as they won't be available from the MFG then anyway.
Right now the car rides great.
Even Derek took it for a ride after tuning it for me and commented on the difference replacing the springs made.
He changed out his struts with the same one's I did but did not replace the springs.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 3:41 pm

AA wrote:
Quote :

afraid

weight reduction baby pimp
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 3:42 pm

this next??
Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector What_thinking1

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 3:44 pm

When you can't get over 70 mph due to knock or how fast the Tow Truck is towing you it doesn't matter, now does it.

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
this next??

efff ya wink

nah i took it off because i used to hit every snowbank possible with my car.. grimace
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 3:51 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:
this next??

efff ya wink

nah i took it off because i used to hit every snowbank possible with my car.. grimace

that's pretty poopy
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 5:49 pm

What in the world is that even supposed to be on the back of that neon? It's unique... that's for sure.

On topic, though, I've had to purchase a bunch of replacement parts for inside/outside the car over the years and everything I've bought has always been priced extremely high.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 5:58 pm

ZEP wrote:
What in the world is that even supposed to be on the back of that neon? It's unique... that's for sure.

On topic, though, I've had to purchase a bunch of replacement parts for inside/outside the car over the years and everything I've bought has always been priced extremely high.
Zach,
Not to be a dick, but if you think parts costs too much for this car over the years, then you can't afford this car.
The parts are not priced any higher than any other car in it's class and if you do some research on imports with the same luxury features, these are priced much less.
Just the initial cost of the car used is much, much less than anything in it's class.
If you've had to pay a little more than you want for replacement costs of parts you have to consider the car cost's upwards of $40,000 new.
Instead of budgeting money for accessories then maybe you need to budget for maintenance.

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector Empty

Back to top Go down

Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next