Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys

Go down 
+65
charlieRobinson
Z-type
Sir Psycho Sexy
matt270avian
stan
J. Chris Davis
llamalor2112
96_Juggernaut
Yardley
al_roethlisberger
9001psi
joshuadalegrimes
highwaywarrior
atvinstructor1
98RiviSC
gmann3001
ghost88
turtleman
Jamax
denim
dboydakid
dtrumbo
BKRIV
LARRY70GS
Jayrydingslab
54_nailhead
24198tom
Abaddon
playa
billythekid7
Eldo
71gsx455-4spd
GMFreak8
T Riley
DEMonte1997
wyomork
robotennis61
BMD
Mikel
L67
RivGuy
TonySmooth89
sburch23
Mr.Riviera
Rickw
andrzejsze
1wickedninja
Sweepspear
97rivsc
manofmany
albertj
SuperRiv07
curious riv
robertwolf86
deekster_caddy
98riv
dreww
2toneRivi
ibmoses
BillBoost37
1998 Riv
Jack the R
AA
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 2:53 pm

I don't know Bill, he mentions tensioner pulley only, not idler.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 3:41 pm

Well Dave I see your point.

Either way.. if you have to replace the pulley behind the mount, it can be a pain. If not, I would leave the mount on and route the belts. Another trick of mine with or w/o the mount off is to route the belts and tension them. Then put the mount back in.
Back to top Go down
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

Name : Jamie
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 8:39 am

Should changing the belts on a 95' be the same as the newer models in the walkthrough?
Back to top Go down
http://www.vancehanesautoparts.com

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 2:27 pm

mostly. But you don't have to remove an engine mount. smile its like a 5 min job on the 95.
and if you do any pulleys, there are none that are left hand thread.

Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 01, 2008 1:48 pm

changed my lower sc idler and belt today. Took 2hrs and 45min. Thanks for the write up. It helped. Carquest has the pulley for $20 part#38007
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 am

Do I need to remove Engine mOunt to just change sc bely and drop sizes on sc pulley
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 11:31 am

not sure on a 96. I am sure that on 97 and later there is a ferrule in the mount - take off the pass side tire and the inner fender then just look at the engine - it is the lower right hand bolt. Clean the grease off the engine tehn remove the bolt. You may need a wood block on a jack to hold up the engine so bolt slides easy. Anyway with that bolt out you can get the SC belt off/on no problem.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 12:11 pm

Just my advice - you have to raise and lower the engine to get that lower engine mount bolt out. Don't use a floor jack/block of wood. Use a hoist if at all possible from above. I ruined my oil pan gasket by jacking the engine up and down for the belt change.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 12:22 pm

I agree wtih Derek. It actually is pretty easy to mess up the OP gasket by jacking the engine at the pan. If you must, the 'trick' is to make the contact area between the block and the jack as big as possible and check torque on the oil pan bolts while it is up. What happens is the gasket can crush a bit, depending on composition, then will leak when the weight's off.

If you want to try hoisting I have heard of this but not done it - use a sawhorse set and some 2x4s to make a frame you can set over the engine (resting on the car's frame) and use a come-along with chain on the end to hoist the engine. I was told that this worked since you are not removing the engine, just holding the weight still while messing with one of the mounts. I kind of think the guy (a sprint car racer where I work) was pulling my leg but it seems plausible.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:23 pm

I also jacked on the oil pan... now have a small leak. Enough that it accumulates into a drop hanging there, that never seems to fall off. I have zero oil on my garage floor.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 2:05 pm

The drop falls off elsewhere when you are moving.

There's other ways to gasket that oil pan other than the rubber/cork ones used...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 2:55 pm

albertj wrote:
The drop falls off elsewhere when you are moving.

Albertj

Well of course it does. Just is unusual that it never falls off in the garage or driveway. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, unless I start seeing it on my floor. burnout
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks for reminding me... I meant t check my oil pan yesterday. this time change has me messed up- not much daylight after work
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 7:10 pm

Thanks for the writeup.

Is it necessary to have the E10 Torx? I have torx drivers but don't know much about them or what E10 stands for.

Luckily I talked my fiance into driving the Riv rather than the gas guzzling 14mpg v8 Grand Cherokee. I'd like to get the belts replaced soon along with the fuel gauge to have it in tip top shape.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 7:30 pm

manofmany wrote:
Thanks for the writeup.

Is it necessary to have the E10 Torx? I have torx drivers but don't know much about them or what E10 stands for.

Luckily I talked my fiance into driving the Riv rather than the gas guzzling 14mpg v8 Grand Cherokee. I'd like to get the belts replaced soon along with the fuel gauge to have it in tip top shape.
E Torx= external torx. its basicly just a socket. any auto part store with a decent tool section will have them. what year is your riv
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 8:54 pm

Gotcha. Less than $5 I suppose?

It's a 97
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 9:34 pm

yeah 5 or 6 bucks should cover both of them. i was goin t use 12 point sockets cause they would fit. but i didnt want t chance stripping the bolts. its a nice little task and any headache u can avoid the better. while ur replacing the belt you should replace the lower sc idler. you'll be glad u did after you shut the hood and its all finished
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 2:35 pm

so can i replace both belts without removing the dumb mount? or at least one of the belts?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 3:20 pm

No.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 10:09 pm

That's right Dale, you do NOT have to remove the engine mount if you are only replacing belts. You DO have to remove it if you want to replace all of the pulleys in the system at the same time. I did all my pulleys too, so I pulled the mount. It really isn't that bad of a job, but I would not do it in my frozen garage in the winter.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:05 am

1998 Riv wrote:
That's right Dale, you do NOT have to remove the engine mount if you are only replacing belts. You DO have to remove it if you want to replace all of the pulleys in the system at the same time. I did all my pulleys too, so I pulled the mount. It really isn't that bad of a job, but I would not do it in my frozen garage in the winter.

The old belt was really noisy and I just could not live with it until spring.

I started into it, and after removing the axis mount I realized that wasn't going to be good enough to remove that belt, scratch referred to this thread and after reading what was involved in taking that bracket out I was bummed. sad

So, after looking at it closer I figured out that I only needed to do so much to change that belt. At the time I thought I was a genius. razz bonk

Next summer when it is warmer I will be more willing to go the full 9 yards with it and replace the lower pulley and accessory belt.

Last night, I found the directions in my service manual, and GM suggests removing the lower stud and temporarily putting the axis mount back in, lowering the engine to open up the gap and remove the spacer.

I have a wood stove in the garage, and while over time it will get things toasty, I didn't want to invest that much time in it yesterday. cold

Learning is part of the fun right?
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 12:19 pm

Sweepspear wrote:

Learning is part of the fun right?
Knowledge is power... And gettin my hands dirty is fun too.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 2:45 am

just did mine for the first time 2day only took me about 3.5 hours! lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
andrzejsze
Rookie

Merit : 1

PostSubject: SC belts and pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 6:28 pm

Just did mine, belts + 2 pulleys and sc tensioner( whole bracket with pulleys) all ACdelco parts( meybe beside one belt) - 500 bucks in Chicago. Had to do it, it's too cold out here to play with it outside, and I got it to mechanic having only half of my belt in place smile . How much does it cost elswhere guys??
Andrew
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 8:45 pm

Does anyone know if it is absolutely necessary to remove the whole power steering pump to get to the lower idler pulley or can the correct amount of access be gained by just removing the power steering pump pulley? (With the correct puller of course)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys
Page 2 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next