Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap

Go down 
+34
setsuna57
hollywood11
Riv95SC
Hometown Hero
Ryan from Ohio
98inSFl
T Riley
IBx1
Rickw
87TurboRiviera
robotennis61
L67
albertj
triton
manofmany
Lucas
Shintsu
Jeremy
dboy
Buickman104
oldsman105
deekster_caddy
superchargedmoney
BillBoost37
1998 Riv
palermocorey90
RivMan
98riv65lark
AA
Brad95Riv
nothincame2mind
jax95riv
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
superchargedmoney
Amateur

Merit : 0

FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 10:27 am

is push rod length the only problem because if thats the case i could just find out the specs on them an get new ones that'll fit. I would just go ahead and do something simple like a pulley swap but i dare to be difficult. It makes life more intresting.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 11:15 am

I've seen side by side head comparisons, and seems to me there are significant differences, not just push rod length.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 1:05 pm

Actually length of the pushrod isn't as big of a problem as the angles.

S1 has that one backwards cylinder and S2 does not. Otherwise IIRC (I've seen pics side by side) they are reasonably similar...but not quite enough to ever make it work.

A swap would be realtively easy IMO. (But then..pulling a motor seems easy most days)
Back to top Go down
superchargedmoney
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Ok well that scrapes that wet dream. Oh well. Is it possible to make a Gen 3 M90 fit a series I.
Back to top Go down
Buickman104
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 3:19 pm

nope it will be nearly impossible to get the belts to line up. The casing of the m90 is 33% bigger so good luck bolting it to your lim as well.
Back to top Go down
superchargedmoney
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 8:21 pm

yeah thanks anyway. Well what sort of low to no cost things can I do to her to get a little more out. When I had my Caprice and was more active on the Impala SS forum I found out about tons of things I coud do to my engine to get more out that would cost little or nothing.I only had a 305 in my Caprice but a 350 didn't stand a chance. I also got quite a few wows out of the LT1 guys who either rode in her and came against her late night on the E-way in one of our little just for the hell of it runs. Are there any of those litte secrets to you guys knowledge that I may use to get more out of my Supercharged 95 Riv. I want to be able to catch up with some of the guys from my old Caprice club (S.O.SS.T.) one night and blow the doors off of one of the closer to stock B-bodies. Just to let them know the money's still around.
3gears
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 8:28 pm

superchargedmoney wrote:
are there any of those litte secrets to you guys knowledge that I may use to get more out of my Supercharged 95 Riv. I want to be able to catch up with some of the guys from my old Caprice club (S.O.SS.T.) one night and blow the doors off of one of the closer to stock B-bodies. Just to let them know the money's still around.
3gears

amen to that, or better ricers lmao
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
dboy
Amateur
dboy

Name : dan

PostSubject: s2 engine swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 10:41 pm

sorry not sure where to put this question but i was wondering how hard it is to swap from a s1 to s2 . is it just a simple take one engine out put the new one in, or is there more? i dont need real specifics, just the general difficulty of the swap. thanks
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 7:45 am

im doing this swap right now, lets see you need a a S2 engine, S2 heads, S2 LIM, S2 M90, S2 TB, S2 wiring harness,you might need a 4t65e if your going to mod it. its alot of work and time but well worth it. lucky for me i have one of the best 3800 engine builders to help me
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 8:32 am

Overall it could be pretty easy if you pick up a drop out motor/trans. Get an engine wiring harness and map the wiring at the firewall to ensure the harness you have will mate the proper wires to the right places inside. Change the pcm and all should be good.

If you prep for it correctly, it can be a simple swap from the technical side. That leaves the labor side..and that side is only as hard as you let it be.
Back to top Go down
Jeremy
Amateur

Name : Jeremy

PostSubject: My Series I passed away Saturday - hunting a series II   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 10:14 pm

Hey all,
My Riviera is dead as a maul sledge hammer. I was headed home from work Saturday, and I stopped at the last stop sign before i got home. At that point I heard an awful squeal and before I could turn off the key, it locked up solid. After a nice tow bill to the nearest shop, the first thing my mechanic noticed was that my oil pressure sensor was unplugged. I am a victim of the classic used car scam. The only thing that i am mad about is that I had no idea that I was riding around for 6 months destroying my bearings thanks to the damn unplugged sensor. I probably have the lowest mileage 95 Riviera with a blown engine on the road 74,214- and its all because of a $35 oil pump. I have priced a long block for a series 1, and its around 2,500. I am no genius, but I am pretty sure that someone knows where a series II is for that kind of money. Can any of my friends here help me out? I'm wiling to pay that much or more if its a Series II upgrade.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 10:31 pm

morad parts co always has a few...
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Bit of work you've got for yourself if you're going to swap in a Series II. Just ask Corey, he started doing that process ot his Riv.
Back to top Go down
Lucas
Enthusiast

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 8:17 am

Step it up dude... get a series III http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8645
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gesues
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 8:41 am

car-parts.com
Back to top Go down
Lucas
Enthusiast

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 8:54 am

http://www.mautofied.com/3800-supercharged-engine_Complete-Engines/listing/100114037/ 300 bucks for series II off a GTP with 86k
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gesues
triton
Special

Name : j

PostSubject: 98 SUPERCHARGED INTO A 95 RIV?   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 4:56 pm

I HAVE A 95 RIV ENGINE IS BLOWN I GOT A 98 SUPERCHARGED RIV FOR A DONOR. I NEED TO KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO AN ENGINE SWAP AND IF SO WHAT MODS NEED TO BE DONE TO MAKE IT WORK. ETC SENSORS, POWER TRAIN CONTROLS, FUEL PUMP CONTROLS, ETC..
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 8:31 pm

why don't you just fix the 98?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 9:01 pm

The series II swap into Series 1 engine bay is not an easy task. The transmission is different too, easiest route is to get the entire drivetrain from the '98 including trans, and use the complete PCM and wiring harness from your donor car. You should buy a factory service manual so you have access to all the wiring diagrams, you'll need to do quite a lot of electrical to make it all work.

Yes it is possible, but it is not easy.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 11:57 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to use a '96 Series II since it uses basically the same trans as the '95's? I suppose the PCM would still have to be transferred though since the '95 isn't tunable.
Back to top Go down
triton
Special

Name : j

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 1:31 am

THANKS.. I HAVE A BUDDY THAT HAS THE 98 ITS PRETTY BANGED UP. HE WRECKED IT ABOUT A YEAR AGO AND IS WILLING TO LET ME PULL ANYTHING I NEED. I GOT A FEELING THIS IS GOIN TO BE MORE THAN I WANT TO GET INTO.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 1:54 am

CAPS LOCK AHHHHHH!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 3:45 am

WHAT? I CANT HEAR YOU MAN! CAN YOU SPEAK ANY LOUDER??
Back to top Go down
87TurboRiviera

Name : Thomas

PostSubject: 97 motor into a 95 riviera?   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 3:49 am

Are the motor mounts and wiring harness all the same? Im back around again..... Just bought a 95 riviera and a 97 riviera engine.... waswondering waht all i will need to mod to drop it into this car.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 4:13 am

I've not done one before but from what I've read the 95 is a creature all to itself.
The wiring harness you will need from the 97 as well as the 97 PCM and will have to do some additional wiring to the PCM.
Best bet is to have the wiring diagrams and manuals from both the 95 and 97 to help you.
The 95 doesn't have a MAP sensor yet the 97 requires one. I'm sure there are other things that are different as well.
I'm not 100% sure about the mounts but I think you'll need the ones from the 97 (not sure)
Someone else will need to chime in on the rest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next