Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Quick question about headlights

Go down 
+7
deekster_caddy
High Chaparral
matt270avian
Abaddon
charlieRobinson
AA
manofmany
11 posters
AuthorMessage
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

Quick question about headlights Empty
PostSubject: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 7:21 pm

It's late, rainy, and cold so I can't easily go out and look. Coming home I noticed both of my brights are burnt out as I rarely drive at night. I'll be doing night driving now due to daylight savings. I've been running with a hid conversion for 3 years now. Unfortunately due to placement or whatever reason, they suck in rain/snow especially at night.

Is it possible to install low beams in place of the high beam lights using the high beam harness? My initial guess is no due to voltage or plugs being different, but just want to check.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Yes, you can do this, but you'll need to modify the plugs on the bulbs to fit. I think one or more of the ridges needs ground off. Info provided below. Note: most people try to do the opposite of what you are doing - fit 9005 (high beam) bulbs in 9006 (low beam) harness plug. You need to work in reverse:

http://www.suvlights.com/information.php?info_id=47

How to modify a 9005 to fit 9006

Many automakers use 2 similar bulbs: 9006/HB4 for low beams and 9005/HB3 for high beams. The standard 9006 (55W) bulb produces 1000 lumens of light while the 9005 (65W) produces 1700 lumens. With a simple modification you can convert the 9005 to fit into 9006 housings.

Note: 9005/6XS base bulbs do not have the right angle and are shorter & can be used in most instances with 9005/6 bulbs as long as the plug can be inserted.

Viewed from the back you will notice the top plastic tab of the 9005 bulb has more material towards the left, you will need to remove approx. half to get the bulb to fit into 9006 headlight/foglight housings

Note: some Toyotas can fit a 9005 into the 9006 housing without modification of the tab.

You will need:

File/chisel tool or Dremel type tool
Toe nail clippers, or cutting pliers
Two 9005 bulbs
Protective eye glasses

1) Remove 3mm of plastic from the left side of the center until you have 5-6mm left. Don't worry this does not have to be precise.

Quick question about headlights Removedplastic1_sm

2) Remove the two guides inside the socket.

Quick question about headlights Removedplastic2_sm

This modification can also be done to convert 9005/HB3 to go into housings for 9145/H10 (45W)

Caution: this “mod” is not endorsed by either the manufacturer or Suvlights.com, it has been applied to some vehicles but will probably work on others. Additionally the modifications may involve work best done by a qualified mechanic. You may wish to check with your local governing agency for being "street legal".

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Awesome! Thanks alot!

Now, what is your thought on wiring it up per your write-up to run 2 sets of lo-beams simultaneously?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 8:22 pm

I don't see why it couldn't work. Use the 12v from the brights to energize the ballasts for the HIDs. To be safe, I'd run a relay between the brights and the ballasts - the brights energize the relay, which triggers the ballasts (just like the write up, except HIDs instead of OEM bulbs).

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 12:20 pm

NOOB ALERT:::

Do I need to take anything off to replace the headlight bulbs or can I just mangle my hands in the small holes and just do it from overhead?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Passenger side....easy. Driver side, take out the air box. You can change the High Beam bulb, but unless you have unusually small hands, take out the air box.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 1:46 pm

After you do the FWI mod, the driver side will be easier than passenger side. Both sides take about 1-2 minutes.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks, team!
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 2:35 pm

If you're careful and good enough, you can use a pair of needle nose pliers to act as fingers. It's what I did for my HID install. Just make sure to be careful and not break anything. And as always do 1 at a time, check the level of the light, and adjust as needed. I did have to remove the airbox either way though.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 9:12 pm

That was fun. Lights look great. This is a must do mod if you wanna 'modernize' your Riv.
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral
High Chaparral

Name : Chris
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 11:09 am

Thinking of picking up some Wagner briteview or truview headlights. Headlights are working fine now, but like to be proactive on needed parts. They currently have rebates that would bring the cost down to around $17 total for all 4. Anyone had luck with these or recommendations ?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 1:20 pm

High Chaparral wrote:
Thinking of picking up some Wagner briteview or truview headlights. Headlights are working fine now, but like to be proactive on needed parts. They currently have rebates that would bring the cost down to around $17 total for all 4. Anyone had luck with these or recommendations ?

My experience with most of these bulbs is that you shouldn't replace one proactively - wait until they go out. If you are replacing them to get a 'brighter' or 'whiter' light, that's a different reason. Most of those 'whiter' bulbs that we've dealt with seem to burn out in close timing to each other, so carry spares! I used to buy a pair, and when one went out I would replace both and put the other still working in my glove box as a spare.

So go ahead and buy a pair of lows... but in the 10 years my Riv has been on the road, I've replaced the low beam bulbs lots of times and only one high beam bulb from the factory ones.
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral
High Chaparral

Name : Chris
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Just getting them now so I have them handy when needed. Also seems ? like a pretty good deal with the rebates. Wasn't sure about the reliability of Wagner lighting products compaired to GE, Sylvania, etc.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 12:48 pm

Anyone know if my Riv can handle HID 50W units in both Lo and Hi beams, without stressing power needs?
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 1:47 pm

As far as I know power consumption is not the main concern when we talk about HID lamps in older headlights. The main issue is that it is illegal almost everywhere and for a good reason.
As for the power consumption - generally, HID lamps need less power to produce more light than halogen ones.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 2:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 pm

All that said, any input on LEDs?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 10:22 pm

manofmany wrote:
It's late, rainy, and cold so I can't easily go out and look. Coming home I noticed both of my brights are burnt out as I rarely drive at night. I'll be doing night driving now due to daylight savings. I've been running with a hid conversion for 3 years now. Unfortunately due to placement or whatever reason, they suck in rain/snow especially at night.

Is it possible to install low beams in place of the high beam lights using the high beam harness? My initial guess is no due to voltage or plugs being different, but just want to check.

My guess is your HID conversion's hotpoint for the bulb isn't correctly oriented in the reflector. For DOT code lights to work at all the bright part of the filament must be a certain placement w/r/t length and orientation.

Last edited by albertj on Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyWed Mar 31, 2021 10:24 pm

I have led bulbs and they work great. The will not light on reduced power so no drl's but that is ok with me. All led's are not equal, some look bright but you can't see. I used United U8 bulbs, hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyFri Apr 02, 2021 10:29 am

Thanks Brian.
Wish projectors were available, dang it.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights EmptyFri Apr 02, 2021 11:35 am

denim wrote:
Thanks Brian.
Wish projectors were available, dang it.
I am in NYC and I never get flashed. Bought a different brand for my TA and they suck, can't see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about headlights   Quick question about headlights Empty

Back to top Go down

Quick question about headlights
Page 1 of 1