Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Super charger pulley seal?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

Super charger pulley seal? Empty
PostSubject: Super charger pulley seal?   Super charger pulley seal? EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:15 am

There seems to be some leakage that looks to be from behind the charger pulley. Is there a replaceable seal and a procedure?
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Super charger pulley seal?   Super charger pulley seal? EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 9:01 am

i know you can replace and rebuild the snouts. i see the kits on ebay all the time but dont know how. there may be a right up if ya try the search
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Super charger pulley seal?   Super charger pulley seal? EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 11:25 am

Found the rebuild kit on ebay. Looks to require tools missing from my garage. Need to regroup.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Super charger pulley seal?   Super charger pulley seal? EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 am

I replaced the SC snout seal on my SC. I only required some needle nosed pliers after I had already pulled the pulley off. I did it while downsizing pulleys to a 3.4. I had the snout off the car and also needed SC oil

SC Snout Seal
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Super charger pulley seal?   Super charger pulley seal? EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 9:26 pm

ebay seller says: "Requires the use of a hydraulic press.

YOU WILL DAMAGE THE PULLEY IF YOU TRY TO USE A GEAR PULLER."

I'm sure there's a local shop with a press.

Kit comes for $85 plus shipping. Seems my parts guy could come in cheaper.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Super charger pulley seal?   Super charger pulley seal? EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 9:33 pm

ZZP sells a nice puller for under $100 IIRC. I would troll eBay and see if someone is selling one.
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Super charger pulley seal?   Super charger pulley seal? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:24 am

My plug has some odd size star pattern. WTF?
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Super charger pulley seal?   Super charger pulley seal? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 11:09 pm

With the help of my retired mechanic neighbor, I started the seal replacement job. The neighbor designed and cut the plate to fit on his puller. You can see that we did not take off the snout. The pulley was on tight and took plenty of effort.

The seal was beat up. There was no retainer but plenty of RTV or other sealant.

Had planned to replace bearings but the shaft seats solidly. Will consider replacing coupler later.

Replacing the seal is important now for me because the oil spins out and makes the belts slippery enough to jump the pulleys.

Super charger pulley seal? 100_1849_zpsvnsu3c9k

Super charger pulley seal? 100_1850_zpsfnibigqf

Super charger pulley seal? 100_1851_zpsxw2fccij

Super charger pulley seal? 100_1853_zpsbbx0i3bw
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Super charger pulley seal?   Super charger pulley seal? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 12:01 am

The snout can be rebuilt quite easily if you have a hydraulic press. I rebuilt mine with the help of a YouTube video. Physically took it off, rebuilt it, and reinstalled it in about an hour.

FYI....the next time you have to take the pulley off, heat it towards the center with a micro-torch. DO NOT use acetylene or map gas. I used a Butane 1400* micro-torch. It slides off fairly easily without popping several times.
Then, for re-installation, put the pulley itself in the oven at 300* for about 20 minutes. The thing slides back on with ease. It still needs to be pressed on, but again, no popping.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Super charger pulley seal?   Super charger pulley seal? EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 1:08 am

Also if your engine has any mild lope whatsoever then you might want to electrically check your coils. I suspect the 2-5 is different from the others. Let us know.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super charger pulley seal?   Super charger pulley seal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Super charger pulley seal?
Page 1 of 1