Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mattsaari
Amateur

Name : matt saari
Merit : 0

po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor Empty
PostSubject: po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor   po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi I recently got a 96 riv s/c and when I got it it had a code for camshaft p.s and after finding the problem was the wires in the molex to the pcm as I found in this fourm I fixed them and deleted the codes. After this my light came on again thinking it was the camshaft p.s again I went and read it and it was po171 lean mixture bank one or something along these lines. The weird part is it was not on till I fixed the wire so is there something I may have messed up in the process? I hooked my cheap scanner up to it seems as tho maf is reading maps reading and 02 is reading but I am unsure what healty parameters for these sensors are. thanks for any help!

update- found a couple vacuum elbows that are not to pretty with tape on them. they are the 2 coming from the t.b but don't sound like they are leaking plan on getting them regardless although they are most likely gm parts. also pulled the 2 screws off the maf and pulled it out and it appeared to be clean but I cleaned it any ways. and a little more detail car seems to run good 99% of the time and accelerates just fine but sometimes up hill seems to stutter now and then..

Last edited by mattsaari on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

PostSubject: Re: po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor   po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Same here getting a po171 lean code and a p1406 same year supercharged, I replaced the downstream o2 sensor and vacumn lines and its still setting these codes, hopefully we can find an answer it could possibly be the fuel filter that's my next step.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor   po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Is your MAF screen still in? The honeycomb? If not go get one (rock auto.com has them) and you can get replacement "vacuum harness" at a GM dealer For about 20 bucks, OK money, it will take the parts counter person a while to find it though.
mattsaari wrote:
Hi I recently got a 96 riv s/c and when I got it it had a code for camshaft p.s and after finding the problem was the wires in the molex to the pcm as I found in this fourm I fixed them and deleted the codes. After this my light came on again thinking it was the camshaft p.s again I went and read it and it was po171 lean mixture bank one or something along these lines. The weird part is it was not on till I fixed the wire so is there something I may have messed up in the process? I hooked my cheap scanner up to it seems as tho maf is reading maps reading and 02 is reading but I am unsure what healty parameters for these sensors are. thanks for any help!

update- found a couple vacuum elbows that are not to pretty with tape on them. they are the 2 coming from the t.b but don't sound like they are leaking plan on getting them regardless although they are most likely gm parts. also pulled the 2 screws off the maf and pulled it out and it appeared to be clean but I cleaned it any ways. and a little more detail car seems to run good 99% of the time and accelerates just fine but sometimes up hill seems to stutter now and then..
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor   po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 1:05 am

albertj wrote:
Is your MAF screen still in? The honeycomb? If not go get one (rock auto.com has them) and you can get replacement "vacuum harness" at a GM dealer For about 20 bucks,  OK money, it will take the parts counter person a while to find it though.

mattsaari wrote:

I will have to check that! I didn't know that would trip the code! do you know what the fuel pressure is suppose to be? im thinking its the fuel regulator. I would think ltft would be affected by pulling the vac line off the fuel regulator but it was not, and I am unsure of how to test the regulator!. thanks for all the help so far this fourm rocks! and just a note the ltft was at about 16% at idle!!!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor   po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 6:47 am

FPRs wear out eventually, but the real point is you need to repair stuff before you mod. The busted vac lines for instance. Fix them now. Your FPR won't work right without vac feedback. A quick test is to get a mityvac with a gauge, hook it to the FPR and pump, see if the FPR will even hold a vacuum at all, say 10-15 lbs. That stutter might be unrelated, maybe the crank sensor... But again the point is fix the stuff you find.
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor   po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Does anyone have a vaccume digram almost thought i heard a vaccume leak on the pass side rear of the motor. where is the pcv located on this car? thanks for all the help so far
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor   po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor Empty

Back to top Go down

po171 after fixing crankshaft positioning sensor
Page 1 of 1