Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair

Go down 
+15
saintsnsinners
jbeganny
LARRY70GS
Riviera_Bob
sedwards5390
matt270avian
ppscheerer
RivGuy
AA
Yardley
joshuadalegrimes
deekster_caddy
robotennis61
stan
71gsx455-4spd
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
71gsx455-4spd

Name : Ken
Merit : 3

fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair Empty
PostSubject: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 10:31 pm

Thought I'd throw up this picture of a stainless ring I designed and had fabricated as a repair for fuel tanks with rusty tabs. It's for my '96 Riv, but is shown on a spare '97 tank with good tabs I used to match up dimensions. I'll remove the remainder of the tabs and then pop rivet this ring in place. I plan to do this over the weekend and will post up whether a success or failure.

fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair Image_zps8b7113d1
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 10:52 pm

Ken,u designed this?.Now that's cool.
Back to top Go down
71gsx455-4spd

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 11:04 pm

Necessity is the mother of invention! That and I'm an engineer. Hopefully it will work. I don't have a good reason to think that it won't.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 11:08 pm

It'll work I think,but it looks nice.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 12:46 am

Cool!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:54 am

Ken that IS cool! A great solution to a frequently encountered problem. If you feel like making several of these you will be able to sell them!
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 12:55 pm

make more please!!!
Back to top Go down
71gsx455-4spd

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:54 pm

I have several flat blanks to form. As soon as I successfully install the one I have, I'll start cranking more out.
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 8:55 am

Yo Cuz. For a noob who hasn't had the misfortune of dealing with this yet... You made the part that you are attaching to the tank, but where did the locking ring come from? It looks new. And I am assuming it just slips over the top of the sending unit and twists onto the new piece you made, right?
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 9:31 am

You can get a locking ring from any GM parts counter. I think it's $10 or so.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
71gsx455-4spd

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 10:27 am

The ring I got is from Advance Auto. If I'm not mistaken it's made by spectrum.
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Is it for a '97 Riv? Or is it for a Park Avenue or something else?
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
71gsx455-4spd

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 12:11 pm

Finally had a little break in the weather. Here's done, no more fuel smell!!

I will do a write up on this and will start to make some ring kits.

fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair IMG_1983_zps0dec452a

fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair IMG_1981_zps1dad69ea
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

Name : Bob Norton
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Gas tank repair ring   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Ken I will need one of these when you get them ready, this is a nice car I have with only 69000 miles.
I can't believe how much rust is on the tank, it has started to leak when full.
Please contact me @ MOcarGuy@ aol.com
Back to top Go down
71gsx455-4spd

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 2:30 pm

I hear ya, Bob, my car is a '96 that just turned 70kmi, so right with you! I will keep you posted when I make more.
Back to top Go down
ppscheerer
Special

Name : Peter

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Ken, I just took out the fuel pump assembly from my 95 riv SC. and the lower ring is not even in existences. Practically rusted away and no tabs left. I sure like what you did with your dilemma and would love to do the same to mine...have you a tab ring available that I could purchase?
also let me know how I can attach the ring to the tank and what tools I would need. Thank you very much, I am inspired and hope has returned.
Back to top Go down
71gsx455-4spd

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 8:52 am

Peter, I just sent you a response to your PM. I'll let you know when I have an additional ring!
Back to top Go down
71gsx455-4spd

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 1:28 pm

Peter, I just check the UPS tracking number and your ring should be arriving today. Please take care in making sure there are no spark hazards when you are installing! Photos with written descriptions and my phone number are included.

Peter is concerned as his fuel pump has moved up out of position and some of the crap that collects around the pump has probably fallen into the tank. His plan is to drain it, run a supply of fresh air through the fill spout to dry it and drive out as much fumes as possible, and vacuum the tank out. I'd be concerned about using a vacuum to draw residual fumes through the vacuum motor brushes.

Anyone else done an in-car tank clean out successfully?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 1:39 pm

I would drop the tank if he was going to vacuum it out. Vacuums can cause static, and any spark mixed with gas vapors is just a bad idea. There's a reason we use compressors over vacuums to clean out computers.
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

PostSubject: Tank ring   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Ken when do you think you might have a ring for me, I do not drive the car till I can fix because gas has splashed out.
You can contact mw @ mocarguy@aol.com
Thank You,
Bob
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 11:02 am

Ken, can you help me out, I'm afraid to drive this old car. I see you sent out one how soon do you think you will one available for me? I sure would appreciate it. Could you e-mail me @ mocarguy@aol.com
Back to top Go down
71gsx455-4spd

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Bob,

I need to make some more blanks and get them formed up. The blanks I have to go to a supplier to get, the forming I can do myself. I got an email from Peter that his installation went well!

I'll keep you informed. I need to figure out a price as I'm pulling the money out of my pocket. I'm not planning to make a living on these, but at least offset my costs.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping I wasn,t dreaming. As you know replacing the tank is a nightmare even if I could find one. So as soon as you come up a price and a ring just let me know so I can get back on the road.
Thanks Again,
Bob
Back to top Go down
sedwards5390
Special

Name : Shannon Edwards

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 4:59 pm

Hello. I am having the same problem but with an Aurora. The setup is the same so I would think this would fit and work the same. I am very interested when you have some made up this is genius.
Back to top Go down
71gsx455-4spd

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Hi Guys,

Working on more now.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair   fuel pump rusty tank - Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair Empty

Back to top Go down

Rusty Fuel Tank Tab Repair
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next