Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)

Go down 
+74
Yardley
joshuadalegrimes
matt270avian
Randy T.
al_roethlisberger
artlock
llamalor2112
Mattwa
drdivo
nothincame2mind
Riviera Randy
ZEP
rk0ehn
gmann3001
charlieRobinson
RivieraParadise
flyingjunebugs
bigdave
RidzRiv
BlownRiv
crlombardi69
Derek
J. Chris Davis
VJD2
Abaddon
98inSFl
duckstu
97 park ave
DEMonte1997
LARRY70GS
L67
nigelf
Ash
eagleblanks13
97rivsc
ewolfe0050
EASHER
Rickw
96RIVMANN
SuperRiv07
Steve98
Chicken
dreww
98riv
98RIV7777
rascal5478
ibmoses
albertj
robotennis61
Kustom Kreationz
robertwolf86
rivparadise
Joey98riv
BillBoost37
oldsman105
deekster_caddy
TonySmooth89
ender467
Buapo
Jack the R
54_nailhead
jimmyriv
SpaceBar
turtleman
racinfan
T Riley
99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
1998 Riv
AA
jax95riv
Jason
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:10 pm

I received the STB today. Patrick at monster parts was great to deal with. If you can't find one at the junk yard, snag one before they are gone.
Let's see if this one needs modding to fit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
crlombardi69
Enthusiast

Name : Chris L
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 6:28 pm

I've been looking for one of these all over and haven't had any luck. What is the part # or how can I get one from monster?
Back to top Go down
http://crlombardi69@yahoo.com
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 6:56 pm

gm part# 25653157
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 6:56 pm

The Part # is in the first post of this thread I believe, but it is 25653157. I just ordered one from www.shopgmparts.com. It cost me 52.27 shipped. I already have one on the front. I intend to use Jack's thread to add this one to the rear. I was pretty impressed with the front. I also intend to add the front and rear Addco sway bars, if it ever stops snowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 11:53 pm

You guys also need to keep in mind that just because GM may sell out of a part doesn't mean they'll never refill their stock. These are probably selling surprisingly faster than anyone at GM expected (not exactly a wear item), so when they get a parts run made they don't get as many as we wanted them to make... eventually GM realizes they are out of stock everywhere and orders a new batch. It's certainly possible that one day they'll stop refilling their stock of a particular part, but items they keep selling they'll probably keep producing, at least for a few years...
Back to top Go down
BlownRiv

Name : Name
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 8:16 am

when I was at the yard I noticed the 92 STS had a slightly different strut brace. What exact year are you guys pulling these from?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 8:20 am

BlownRiv wrote:
when I was at the yard I noticed the 92 STS had a slightly different strut brace. What exact year are you guys pulling these from?

I think it was 97-01 STS if I am not mistaken.

Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 10:02 am

Wow. Do you guys not read the posts before asking the most basic of questions ? I have gone back to edit my original post, i.e. the FIRST POST of this thread on page 1. I originally thought I did a good job BOLDING and increasing the font size of the part number for lazy people. I have now put it in RED, along with the STS model year range. Although I don't think many people here would read all 29+ pages of this monstrous thread, the intent was for the pertinent info to jump out at you in the original post. Now it will jump out at you and burn your retina.

Derek, maybe you're right, but when I called the dealership here I was informed it was discontinued, not out of stock. They have been known to be wrong overwhelmingly often though.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 1:47 pm

Jason wrote:
Wow. Do you guys not read the posts before asking the most basic of questions ? I have gone back to edit my original post, i.e. the FIRST POST of this thread on page 1. I originally thought I did a good job BOLDING and increasing the font size of the part number for lazy people. I have now put it in RED, along with the STS model year range. Although I don't think many people here would read all 29+ pages of this monstrous thread, the intent was for the pertinent info to jump out at you in the original post. Now it will jump out at you and burn your retina.

Derek, maybe you're right, but when I called the dealership here I was informed it was discontinued, not out of stock. They have been known to be wrong overwhelmingly often though.

Sorry Jason,
I know the part number by heart, and I was just able to get one a few weeks ago, although I had to pay 42.32 shipped for it. I was pretty close with the years that it was installed on the Seville STS, but I did not initially see that when I looked at the first post. Highlighting it in red helps a lot.

Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 4:13 pm

not really aimed at you, Larry.
cheers,
Back to top Go down
crlombardi69
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Honestly this topic of strut tower brace doesn't need to be 29-30 pages long!!!......... I got a part # a digit off and didn't need to sift through all those endless pages of BS. Sometimes a simple question deserves a simple answer. I could almost go out in the garage and fab one of these braces to compensate for the master cylinder height in the time it took me to read that entire post geez! I do like the part# in red though nice touch!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Jason, I agree, I have also been told it was discontinued, and out of stock, long ago. Yet dealerships seem to keep coming up with them somehow! So it's worth calling a few dealerships, as some will just give you the "out of stock" or "discontinued" line, others may have connections to a mystery GM supplier. Who knows why they keep turning up!

Chris I agree, it's a very simple part and could be homemade by any welder quite easily. A homemade one would also eliminate hood bulge or master cylinder spacing issues. (just use a flatter steel for your brace)
Back to top Go down
crlombardi69
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 2:33 pm

I was able to get one for the front on line @ monsterparts for $52 and change. I'm gonna install and then fab the rear myself out of 1"x1"x1/8" square stock and 1/4" plate steel to tie it together with the shock mounts. Then I will post the results.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 2:50 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Jason, I agree, I have also been told it was discontinued, and out of stock, long ago. Yet dealerships seem to keep coming up with them somehow! So it's worth calling a few dealerships, as some will just give you the "out of stock" or "discontinued" line, others may have connections to a mystery GM supplier. Who knows why they keep turning up!

It is discontinued and out-of-stock. But, the fine people over at MonsterParts should be able to locate "old" stock from any dealer across the country. That's why some of the braces people buy are more than others......you're paying for the extra shipping.

FYI....I still have access to GM parts. If you are looking for a STB, let me know and I can probably locate one for you just like MonsterParts does wink
Back to top Go down
BlownRiv

Name : Name
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 6:32 am

Not sure why anyone would bother buying one from GM when you can get all the STS suspension parts these cars desire for a measly $50 at the yard. I will pull two STB's on the weekend and get them for no more then $20 for the set.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 10:31 am

I think I got mine from GM parts direct for like $30 shipped to my door? That beats going out to the yard and taking it off the car yourself, imo. I realize the prices have gone up, but that's why some of us ordered new ones direct.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Derek
Fanatic

Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am

The yards near me don't even know what they have, its not like you can just call them and say I need this and that. You have to go wander and look, which can be fun, but in freezing weather I'd rather pay a few dollars more and have it shipped to my door rather than hoping and freezing while looking for a usable one.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 11:09 pm

I spent hours scouring the 2 large local yards, there was not an STS to be found that still had the brace in it, and they claimed they didn't have them in their parts stock. I got mine new for only $30 from GM also.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:29 pm

I installed the bar on Mel`s 98 Riv today. I'm not going to say anything and see if she notices. I went for a brief test drive and the difference is quite noticeable.
Since I was away for a while I hadn't read many of the central pages of this thread. I wasn't aware packaging was an issue for some of you guys, but the bar was extremely well packed by monsterparts online. It was fully boxed and heavily padded.
WRT parts availability this one was sourced from Vintage Parts, so I suspect they won't be available much longer.
The install went well. I stacked a few washers and everything lined up perfectly with no hood bulge. I spent more time looking for the stupid washer I dropped in the fender than actually installing the brace. I thought about dremelling off the embossed letters off the top of the MC to gain a mm, then thought how much better it would be to just put a kink in the bar at the MC. After reading through the thread I saw the method Aaron used and I like it. I'll probably pull the bar off both cars and use his technique.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 7:26 pm

I installed some new struts and mounts and whatnot and came across something that may be useful to 97-down people.

It's mentioned in this thread how the the studded strut mounts don't leave hardly any thread for you to add a strut brace and washers for clearing the master cylinder.
I replaced my struts and mounts with Monroe mounts and they give you some slightly longer studs so that might be a good thing to know for the sake of a STB.

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 CIMG3227
Left: Monroe strut mount - Right: OEM strut mount

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 CIMG3240
STB tightened down with Monroe top mount and supplied nuts - much better
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: SLS Strut Bar   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 pm

so would a strut tower brace work from a SLS or is it different from the STS one? I am asking because they have one at the local junkyard
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:43 pm

I'm pretty sure it needs to be an STS bar.
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:48 pm

Dang i wonder why they would be different
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Don't know enough about the Caddy's to say. There is a very long thread about the STS bar, and I don't recall any mention at all about the SLS being an option. Post a pic or dimensions of the SLS bar and we can tell you more.

I know I looked under the hoods of many Caddies at the local yard trying to find the right bar, and saw many that looked nothing like the STS bar.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:59 pm

According to my estimating data base, all Cadillac Sevilles use the same stb for 1994 thru 1997. This would include STS and SLS.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 18 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)
Page 18 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 26  Next