Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)

Go down 
+74
Yardley
joshuadalegrimes
matt270avian
Randy T.
al_roethlisberger
artlock
llamalor2112
Mattwa
drdivo
nothincame2mind
Riviera Randy
ZEP
rk0ehn
gmann3001
charlieRobinson
RivieraParadise
flyingjunebugs
bigdave
RidzRiv
BlownRiv
crlombardi69
Derek
J. Chris Davis
VJD2
Abaddon
98inSFl
duckstu
97 park ave
DEMonte1997
LARRY70GS
L67
nigelf
Ash
eagleblanks13
97rivsc
ewolfe0050
EASHER
Rickw
96RIVMANN
SuperRiv07
Steve98
Chicken
dreww
98riv
98RIV7777
rascal5478
ibmoses
albertj
robotennis61
Kustom Kreationz
robertwolf86
rivparadise
Joey98riv
BillBoost37
oldsman105
deekster_caddy
TonySmooth89
ender467
Buapo
Jack the R
54_nailhead
jimmyriv
SpaceBar
turtleman
racinfan
T Riley
99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
1998 Riv
AA
jax95riv
Jason
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
AuthorMessage
RivieraParadise
Amateur
RivieraParadise

Name : Todd
Merit : 1

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 2:39 pm

ok,...lol... you would think i would notice these things... right ?

Thanks, Aaron ! smile
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 4:56 pm

It's surprisingly easy to miss. Never know what you might find snooping around the board!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 3:51 pm

RivieraParadise wrote:
just out of curiosity, did you end up sourcing you Strut Tower Brace at Shop GM Parts? and did you pay a similar price ?

No problems with the late response, Todd. I bought it and installed it regardless. I got the part through Shop GM Parts. I got it for $5 more than you were able to get it. I have had to put a ton of washers under it in order for it to clear the fluid reservoir. I don't know if I should keep it or not, honestly, because I really don't like the idea of such a sloppy setup.

RivieraParadise wrote:
i noticed that you plan suspension upgrades next, i was wandering if you have the Self leveling struts option installed on your Riviera? my mechanic got the front end on my Riv, all sorted out but the old girl still felt a bit loose and unstable. i was told that if the Air Struts weren't Leaking,(they weren't ) that there was no reason to bother with them yet. well, i replaced them anyway... i WISH i had replaced those FIRST, Before i started on the front end.
i only brought it up because it is the second easiest job i have Done, besides the Strut Tower Brace,
that yielded instantaneously gratifying results... in perceived Stability

I have ELC and associated parts/options on my car, which came stock, but I haven't upgraded a thing other than the brace. I definitely either want to do the struts or shocks next. I'll probably delve into replacing the rear shocks because my exhaust tips drag pretty badly on the pavement when I back out of my driveway. Have you done only front suspension work? Would you say that the new struts help lessen vibration, or anything else? It's great to get some kind of feedback before delving into things too soon.

Sorry for my lack of enthusiasm with this reply, haha, but I'm really sick sick Damn you pollen and fickle weather!
Back to top Go down
RivieraParadise
Amateur
RivieraParadise

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Hey, its all good Zach....

from what i understand from the more "mathematically inclined" members,
the added washers don't diminish the effectiveness of the brace, apparently the brace
is very stout, i don't remember exactly, but it has something to with the
Directional Forces that it is designed to handle being of a singular nature, in other words its not subject to allot of twisting/ bending etc.
i'm just guessing maybe it was Aaron or Albertj, who was explaining it before.... i'm not sure, my memory is always suspect.
but i would keep it, i can only guess that it might save the chassis some wear and tear, over the long term

Todd.

Last edited by RivieraParadise on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Quote :
from what i understand from the more "mathematically inclined" members,
the added washers don't diminish the effectiveness of the brace, apparently the brace
is very stout, i don't remember exactly, but it has something to with the
Directional Forces that it is designed to handle being of a singular nature, in other words its not subject to allot of twisting/ bending etc.
maybe it was Aaron or Albertj, who was explaining it before.... i'm not sure, my memory is always suspect.
but i would keep it, i can only guess that it might save the chassis some wear and tear, over the long term.
It's going to depend on who you ask, but my stance was for not using washers, but rather to crush the brace where it crosses the brake fluid reservoir, allowing for clearance. The idea is that the brace is under tension more than anything else, so crushing a portion of the tube won't affect it's performance. The only danger I can see with using washers is the possibility of snapping a strut mounting bolt - from the added leverage.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks for clarifying, guys. And I feel way better now, Todd, thanks... I don't want to delve too far into the topic on here, but I think I may have over-done it on 4-20 and was just suffering the after-effects... ahh college... dunce

Anyway, Aaron, I had thought about crushing the brace around where it is above the reservoir, but I just didn't know what that would do to its rigidity. I think I had looked through this thread somewhat to try to find an answer but didn't see a definitive one, but I think that's what I'm going to do. I just ordered the MA822 shocks so that I can replace mine that have a nice ~150k mile résumé to their name. I also haven't had an alignment done in god knows how many miles, so I'll get that done too. Hopefully, that will solve some of my vibration issues and dragging of exhaust tips and all of that fun stuff.

To be honest, I had been thinking about getting rid of the car just because of all of the issues that keep cropping up, but after looking at what else is out there that wouldn't break the bank, the benefits of keeping the Riv outweigh getting a new car. This car is like a woman... she gets hysterical usually once a month out of the blue, then calms down for a little while before she loses control again rolleyes C'est la vie
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Quote :
I had thought about crushing the brace around where it is above the reservoir, but I just didn't know what that would do to its rigidity. I think I had looked through this thread somewhat to try to find an answer but didn't see a definitive one,
Definitive answer #1 (crushed bar installed, tested 110 miles, avg speed 75-80mph)

Definitive answer #2 (crushed bar installed, 10 autocross runs)

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 pm

*runs off to crush brace in vice*
Back to top Go down
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

Name : Glenn W. Peck
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 12:52 am

Just ordered! Under $39.00 shipped! cant wait to get it! yay
Back to top Go down
http://gmann3001@yahoo.com
RivieraParadise
Amateur
RivieraParadise

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 1:26 am

Very Nice Price, Glenn !
you beat the price i paid by about 13 bucks !
i was curious if this is a private party you purchased from ?
because if it was from a retailer who might have more of them, and you wouldn't mind posting where you ordered from, i might do the Rear S.T.B. MOD. IF i can get the same deal....

thanks Glenn,
and CONGRATS !
Back to top Go down
drdivo
Rookie
drdivo

Name : Douglas Hord
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 9:10 am

RivieraParadise wrote:
Very Nice Price, Glenn !
you beat the price i paid by about 13 bucks !
i was curious if this is a private party you purchased from ?
because if it was from a retailer who might have more of them, and you wouldn't mind posting where you ordered from, i might do the Rear S.T.B. MOD. IF i can get the same deal....

thanks Glenn,
and CONGRATS !

Ooooh, yes! Glenn - where did you find it/them?
Back to top Go down
http://drdivo.com
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 6:59 pm

I went to GM parts... but just got the e-mail saying that they can still sell it but they are out of stock and it will bump the price up to $50 to get it out to me... bummer
Back to top Go down
RivieraParadise
Amateur
RivieraParadise

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Geez Glenn.... sorry to hear that.

But i'm not too surprised, since they had to outsource my S.T.B. order from a GM Dealership, over in your neck of the woods.

i have to admit that i am Pleased with my S.T.B.
so the 51.75 i ended up paying was a relatively inexpensive upgrade, compared to what i've spent on repairs, since i bought the car in late January.
i should add, that i love jetting around town in my Riviera , so i don't regret a single dollar i have spent so far.

i'll be interested to hear about your installation, when you "Git er' Done" Glenn...

Todd.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Seems every place you try to order will let you place the order online, give a price, then come back with the "sorry, but..." story. At least you can still get one though.
Back to top Go down
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 11:58 pm

just glad that i can get it... but Ill probably get it before my riv gets out of the shop!
Back to top Go down
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 10:04 pm

Well I got the STB painted and installed!
How it arived
Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 IMAG0697

Then self etching primer
Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 IMAG0700

Then 2 coats of red
Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 IMAG0701

Then 2 coats of clear coat
Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 IMAG0703

And finally installed!
Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 IMAG0729

and its hard to describe, the cornering is great!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Top job ma man! top job!
Back to top Go down
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks! If the weather is ok tomorrow after work I plan on doing the A\C compressor, then take her to a shop to have the system vacuumed and filled. Hopefully then Ill have some cool air! dunno
Back to top Go down
Mattwa
Enthusiast

Name : Matt
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Today I finished making my front strut tower brace and installed it. Since you can't really find the STS bars anymore, I decided to just make my own. No problems hitting the MC, but it does bulge the hood a small amount. Nothing to be concerned about though. No washers under the brackets. wink

But It made a noticeable difference as far as handling goes. One more thing to note, is that it has a MUCH thicker wall on the pipe then the STS bar does. It's very stiff.
Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 IMG_20120811_162253
Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 IMG_20120811_162307
Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 IMG_20120811_162357

It's not a show winning install, but I think I did a good job building it.

Last edited by Mattwa on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 8:47 pm

I like it. Nice work, Matt!

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 2:34 pm

What up, my Riviera clan dudes.

I have located this STS STB but they want $65.30 for it shipped to my doorstep. I think I might pass and wait for a better deal. How do you all feel about that price?
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Eh, its right in line with any others I've seen in the past 6months. Even my local yard wanted an arm n a leg confused
Back to top Go down
artlock
Amateur
artlock

Name : Art
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 am

This is a long but good thread. I saw this question asked earlier but I didn't see the answer. Can I do this mod on my 95 series 1? What if any are the challenges on the 95 series 1?
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 12:42 pm

I wonder how much a fabricator would charge to cut and drill the mounts and weld a fatty pipe on it. That's all it is, right?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 pm

I wouldn't call it a "fatty". A thin wall pipe works just as well, without adding unnecessary weight high on the car. The Cadi STS tube is fairly thin and light.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 22 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)
Page 22 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next