Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)

Go down 
+74
Yardley
joshuadalegrimes
matt270avian
Randy T.
al_roethlisberger
artlock
llamalor2112
Mattwa
drdivo
nothincame2mind
Riviera Randy
ZEP
rk0ehn
gmann3001
charlieRobinson
RivieraParadise
flyingjunebugs
bigdave
RidzRiv
BlownRiv
crlombardi69
Derek
J. Chris Davis
VJD2
Abaddon
98inSFl
duckstu
97 park ave
DEMonte1997
LARRY70GS
L67
nigelf
Ash
eagleblanks13
97rivsc
ewolfe0050
EASHER
Rickw
96RIVMANN
SuperRiv07
Steve98
Chicken
dreww
98riv
98RIV7777
rascal5478
ibmoses
albertj
robotennis61
Kustom Kreationz
robertwolf86
rivparadise
Joey98riv
BillBoost37
oldsman105
deekster_caddy
TonySmooth89
ender467
Buapo
Jack the R
54_nailhead
jimmyriv
SpaceBar
turtleman
racinfan
T Riley
99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
1998 Riv
AA
jax95riv
Jason
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
AuthorMessage
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 2:07 am

+1
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 6:31 am

stan wrote:
$53? wow....why didn't you go to the nearest junkyard and pick one for no more than $10?
Because the caddy dealer was on the way to the racetrack yesterday morning and the nearest junkyard to me that would have an STS is so far away that it would take me weeks to clear my schedule and get there. For an additional $43 it is worth it to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 10:29 am

Good financial advice, but I looked through several wrecking yards with no success. I just got tired of waiting and thought it might be nice to have a brand new one. If I recall, the part was $40 from vintage parts, plus shipping. I didn't think that was too bad once I considered my time driving to various wrecking yards an hour away and spending the time searching through them, and up to that point fruitlessly.

Some of the other boards/threads also made it sound like finding one of these in the wrecking yards was getting harder and harder to find.... dunno 
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 1:37 pm

The perceived cheapest solution is not always the best option for everyone. I also struck out at my local yards when I searched for an extra brace.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 1:50 pm

They're also getting hard to find online. You would almost be better off making one for yourself if you had the available tools and materials. That way it would be a much more solid fit instead of dremeling out one of the holes.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 3:23 pm

al_roethlisberger wrote:

al_roethlisberger wrote:

BTW, it looks like these are still available for about $40 from "Vintage Parts" .  According to a thread on a Cadillac forum, "Vintage Parts" bought out some portion of this GM stock.

They appear to have about 20 in stock, for about $40 each (not including shipping).

http://www.vpartsinc.com/

Search for:

GM/ACDELCO AUTO PARTS - 25653157

$52 shipped 3 day, on it's way, very excited   yay

Will post how it goes with the install.

Al

I think the only place I found them reliably online was the link above. They had about 20 left in stock a couple months ago....

Al

Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 10:54 pm

Just to confirm that the older STB design does not fit our cars, I had a chance to pull one off a Caddy and test fit it on a Rivi at the junkyard. Both the hole spacing and the physical length were way off. Also, for the bars that we use 95/96 will have to modify them by dremeling out the front most hole, while 97+ will bolt right on. The reasoning is that the strut top mount bolt pattern is different between those years.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Strut tower welds let go! HELP!   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 9:51 am

Years ago I put a Caddy STS bar in and loved it at first. A few years ago I started having some clunking around in the front end. I replaced nearly every part on the front end of this car and just yesterday I still had no idea WTF was making this noise. This morning I went out looked at the seem around my green cars strut towers and they were beautiful. My white car has a space big enough to fit a screwdriver in! I am sure this is the problem. I have since taken the bar off and not really driving it. Has anyone ever had to repair these? Can they be repaired, re-welded? HELP !
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 11:18 am

Technically you could squeeze it shut and re-weld it and it would probably hold, but would you trust it?
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 11:51 am

Was thinking of drilling some holes and putting some steel braces, maybe 3-4 6 inch strips running vertical on both sides. Have to look and see exactly where the break is and how much material is there to work with. I wouldn't trust a re-weld. The only thing that could have caused this is the strut tower bar I installed. I bought from the GM dealer and it matched up perfectly. I had to put some washers in to clear the brakes but never thought it would result in that. Lets hear any other ideas!

After further inspection, the correct way to do this would be removing the fenders and having full access to the entire tower. I don't know where the breaks are so bracing the entire tower would be best. I think some 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch strips running around as much of it as possible would be the strongest thing. Any ideas, suggestions would be awesome! I feel honored after looking that I seem to be the only one so far with this issue!

I just recently found my strut tower welds had come loose caused by tower brace bar. I had a Caddy STS bar with four or five washers underneath to clear the brake rez. If you have this bar, you may want to check the seems of the towers.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 7:31 am

The STB didn't cause your problem. Old age and corrosion caused the problem. I'm willing to bet that it's rusty as hell inside that pocket.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 9:40 am

Not at all. Clean as can be
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 9:44 am

Abaddon wrote:
The STB didn't cause your problem. Old age and corrosion caused the problem. I'm willing to bet that it's rusty as hell inside that pocket.

I'm with Abaddon on this one, there might be something under the paint you're not seeing. A few of us have tracked (or repeatedly enjoyed some back roads) in these cars with no negative results aside from accelerated tire and brake wear.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 10:06 am

I'd like to see some pics. Too hard to visualize with just a few sentences.

Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 2:19 pm

brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 20150629_135954_zpsowhnkh1r
Pass Side
brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 20150629_140024_zpsrohdxcrh
Driver Side
brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 20150629_140005_zpsfxj0mqay
Noticed the blowout with some rust on it. There doesn't seem to be any other corrosion but will remove the wheel in a bit and drop the strut to get a better view.

brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 20150629_150850_zpsnekvcfua
With the inner skirt off
brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 20150629_150913_zpsvpjgs1hh
Noticing some rolling of the metal. Hmmm.

Rinsed the birdshit off before pulling into garage. That's why the water. Still haven't seen any corrosion.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 6:24 pm

Did you (or the previous owner) happen to hit/run something big over?
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 8:07 pm

Nothing that I know of. I've nailed a few good potholes living in Western New York but nothing major.

Having a weld put around the top lip and inside lower one. The metal overlaps about 2 inches.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 10:21 am

Very strange. I wouldn't at all say the STB caused your problem, but I suppose it didn't help. I'm thinking manufacturing defect, or previous owner hit/did something.

Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 2:29 pm

I drove my '98 very, very hard in the corners with an STB and Addco sway bar and never had this issue. I wonder what happened in yours to cause it to let go!?

Eventually the addco bar ripped the subframe bushing mount right off the subframe. Just to give you an idea of how hard I was pushing it around corners...  Never a problem on the strut towers.

After the subframe tore, we removed the sway bar and continued driving it for another 100K or so, with just the STB up top. It still handled corners fairly well (got rid of the 255s and slowed down a little), but was putting all of the cornering stress through the STB and still not a problem with the towers. That's pretty much a one-off problem.

Any history with an accident repair?

Karma wrote:
Very strange. I wouldn't at all say the STB caused your problem, but I suppose it didn't help. I'm thinking manufacturing defect, or previous owner hit/did something.

X2.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 2:49 pm

I have no idea if prior accident before buying.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Samuel, if you don't want to have the added stress of the STB on your towers anymore, you have a buyer...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 12:20 am

Abaddon wrote:
The STB didn't cause your problem. Old age and corrosion caused the problem.

^^^ This.

I really doubt the STB had anything to do with your issue; the brace resists chassis flex. I would argue installing one actually prevents the type of damage you're seeing, as it strengthens the chassis overall.

If the forces exerted by the STB were sufficient to weaken welds, I'd think the fasteners holding the brace flanges to each tower would slide in their holes, since the mounting holes are slightly larger than the bolts to allow fitment. Take a look at your flanges - Did the washers shift or slide? Or, is the imprint a nice, circular copy of the washer diameter? How about the stacks of washers? Any evidence of shifting there?

Here's one opinion on the matter. Not saying his claim is proven, but I do tend to agree:

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 1:31 pm

The previously posted issue appears to have been caused by rust. See thread:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6233p90-faq-rust-areas-concerns#185356

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

Name : steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Does anyone have one of these bars 4-SALE thanks Steve
Back to top Go down
scottlinton
Special

Name : Scott
Merit : -3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 EmptySun Dec 06, 2015 9:08 pm

I have a strut tower branch for sale, made by GM it is a direct fit in nearly brand new shape. Let me know if we can work something out.

Scott

71stagegs wrote:
Does anyone have one of these bars 4-SALE thanks Steve
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)
Page 25 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next