Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Using "universal wheel well molding" instead of the OEM ones...thoughts?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
billfrank85

Name : Will
Merit : 0

Using "universal wheel well molding" instead of the OEM ones...thoughts? Empty
PostSubject: Using "universal wheel well molding" instead of the OEM ones...thoughts?   Using "universal wheel well molding" instead of the OEM ones...thoughts? EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 5:37 pm

I've been trying to fix up my Riviera for a while now, and one of the things it needs are the chrome wheel well arch pieces. They tend to sell for $100+ a PIECE on ebay, which is ridiculous. I have, however, seen several universal kits that include a more flexible product that you simply cut and adhere in the same location as the OEM ones.

Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUICK-wheel-well-chrome-molding-trim-all-models-/301386356187?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1995|Make%3ABuick|Model%3ARiviera|Submodel%3ABase|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.8L&hash=item462c06d5db&vxp=mtr

They come in a few different widths...I have yet to actually measure for the width that I need, but has anyone on here used these? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thank you for any input.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Using "universal wheel well molding" instead of the OEM ones...thoughts?   Using "universal wheel well molding" instead of the OEM ones...thoughts? EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm all about the budget fixes that get the job done. But the exterior parts - "A" surfaces - can be tricky, and here's why:

"A" surfaces, the parts you typically wash on the car, these are the ones people look at from the outside. Depending on who's looking, if something's not right, they're going to notice it. This goes for every cosmetic detail you change on the car, and often it's a subjective/taste thing. Ever see that chrome edge guard stuff on doors? Some folks like that.

"B" surfaces, the parts you typically don't see, including the suspension and engine bay, these are areas that can be cobbled together (and often are) from the factory, or by backyard mechanic types. No one really cares because they don't see the B-sides, and as long as everything works, all is good.

Because all eyes are on the exterior, A-side parts are more difficult to patch/fix/modify than B-side parts for the average car owner, because they have to be perfect, and most of us aren't when it comes to craftsmanship. This is why we pay pros for bodywork, wheels repair, window tint, etc. There are exceptions, but most people don't have a level of skill like the pros.

This universal wheel trim a patch that some people won't notice the first time, maybe not the 2nd time they look. But people who are into cars, those who've seen lots of cars, or the exterior pros - they're going to notice it immediately. The question is, how much do you care?

Me, I care. I think an old or slightly dented trim piece that's clean and taken care of looks better than a piece that wasn't made for the car to begin with. Those pics of universal trim in the link don't look good to me. They don't look terrible either, but usually photos look better than the actual product, so I wouldn't expect it to be that good installed. If you asked a pro to install this trim, my guess is they'd try to take you out of it. But, maybe there's somebody out there who feels differently and could try.

If my trim was missing and I couldn't find any to replace, one option might be to talk to a pro about shaving and rolling the wheel openings for a cleaner Euro car look.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
billfrank85

Name : Will
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Using "universal wheel well molding" instead of the OEM ones...thoughts?   Using "universal wheel well molding" instead of the OEM ones...thoughts? EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Yeah I'm not really into show-room quality looks, my car is beat up enough as it is. It would look a lot better with something covering the holes in the front fenders though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using "universal wheel well molding" instead of the OEM ones...thoughts?   Using "universal wheel well molding" instead of the OEM ones...thoughts? Empty

Back to top Go down

Using "universal wheel well molding" instead of the OEM ones...thoughts?
Page 1 of 1