Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Need help with water pump replacement

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
coolmoss
Special

Name : Robert Hoffman
Merit : 0

Need help with water pump replacement Empty
PostSubject: Need help with water pump replacement   Need help with water pump replacement EmptyTue May 19, 2015 6:06 pm

I'm virtually in tears on this one guys, never been so stumped....

I have a '95 engine code 1 (supercharged) and I'm replacing the water pump. I have the original Buick factory manuals. I followed the instructions until the point that the pump is supposed to come off. I removed 7 bolts and it still felt snug so I looked more carefully and there is 1 more bolt. It's barely visible, but almost totally covered by the accessory drive bracket.

Nothing in the shop manual mentions removing the bracket (does say the K engine code needs to remove the power steering pump) and the instructions for removing the bracket are clear as mud. I can't see exactly what comes off in what order or whether I can just loosen up the bracket, how many nuts and bolts, etc. One detail from the manual is to remove the "lower bracket to transaxle bolt" which I have no clue what thats about. The transaxle obviously is on the other side of the car.

Anyone offer some advice?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 150

PostSubject: Re: Need help with water pump replacement   Need help with water pump replacement EmptyTue May 19, 2015 7:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
coolmoss
Special

PostSubject: Re: Need help with water pump replacement   Need help with water pump replacement EmptyTue May 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Thank you Larry. I thought I thoroughly searched the forum, but clearly not:)
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Need help with water pump replacement   Need help with water pump replacement EmptyTue May 19, 2015 7:57 pm

The write-up provided in the link above describes it pretty spot on.
That bracket does have to be removed, with the engine supported.

Follow each "arm" of the bracket, and you'll find its corresponding fastener. On the other end (frame side), where the mount attaches, there are two 15mm bolts that hold the mount to the frame (underneath the mount on the frame rail). Rather than taking out the long bolt in the center of the mount, take out those two 15's and just remove the entire assembly. It'll help clear out some elbow space...
The P/S pump can just be unbolted (three 13mm's behind the pulley) and moved aside.
Back to top Go down
coolmoss
Special

PostSubject: Re: Need help with water pump replacement   Need help with water pump replacement EmptyTue May 19, 2015 8:09 pm

Thank you abaddon for the additional details. Very helpful.
Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

Name : tommy z
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with water pump replacement   Need help with water pump replacement EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 pm

I just had my water pump replaced on my 95 Riviera s/c... and when I start the car the check oil level light comes on  for about 20 seconds and then shuts off but my oil level is fine … can anyone tell me why or what to look for???? thank you have a gr8 day!!!never mind it was the sensor on the oil pan ,it slippped off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with water pump replacement   Need help with water pump replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with water pump replacement
Page 1 of 1