Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rear Subframe / Cradle

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Rear Subframe / Cradle Empty
PostSubject: Rear Subframe / Cradle   Rear Subframe / Cradle EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 2:34 pm

Hello all.
After spending considerable time and money replacing the front cradle recently I just had the rear subframe/cradle fail on me due to rot.

I am once again unable to drive the car due to this "new" problem.

Apparently we, my mechanic and I, were so focused on the front of the car that we failed to notice the poor condition of the rear subframe, or as Robo has called it, the RSSA.

If I had known this was about to fail I would not have spent the money of fixing and replacing all the front components that we did. But I feel I have too much money invested to give up now.

I have looked through all the write ups and done several searches regarding replacing this rear frame piece but only have come up with the mod that Robo did on his car.

Does anyone know of other info that has been documented here, on this forum, regarding the replacement of the subframe/cradle for the rear of the car.?????

If so, could you point me in the right direction, or am I the first person to have one of these rot out so badly that it needs a complete replacement.

While driving the car yesterday I started to hear and feel some noise from the rear of the car and thought I had a loose rear wheel. That's what it felt like. After further inspection it was obvious the right rear section of the rear cradle had split and dropped due to corrosion.

Before I call Ed Morad for a replacement part I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom and experience with replacing this part and any other parts that will need replacing at the same time. Such as rubber bushings etc.
I'm thinking this thing has rubber mounts just like the front cradle but I have yet to get it on a lift or jack it up to inspect it and determine what is involved with a proper replacement.

If anyone has input, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks again,

Rick
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Rear Subframe / Cradle   Rear Subframe / Cradle EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Well.....that sucks. You'll have to drop EVERYTHING out of the rear end to replace that cradle. Only good news is, there isn't an engine hanging over top of it. It's no easy job by any means, and if it's rotted that badly, you'll more than likely break bolts trying to take them out.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rear Subframe / Cradle   Rear Subframe / Cradle EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 3:10 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Well.....that sucks. You'll have to drop EVERYTHING out of the rear end to replace that cradle. Only good news is, there isn't an engine hanging over top of it. It's no easy job by any means, and if it's rotted that badly, you'll more than likely break bolts trying to take them out.

I'm somewhat familiar with the removal of the rear subframe suspension assy. My mechanic had to remove it 3 or 4 years ago to replace the fuel tank.

I wasn't involved in the turning of wrenches to get the job done but I did see what it all looked like while on the floor of the shop.

It will probably cost as much to do as the front cradle. I just can't remember the rubber bushing mounts that are used in the rear.

I need to get the car up on his lift to refresh my memory and start doing the research needed to get all the parts necessary.

Was just hoping someone had documented their experience with R&R ing one of these lately.

Thanks Scott, I always appreciate your knowledge and input.
We shall see what's involved soon enough, when I can get it up in the air and have a look. May need a tow truck to get it to the shop. The right rear section of this frame is hanging down a few inches below the body line.
It's very visible.

Rick
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Rear Subframe / Cradle   Rear Subframe / Cradle EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 9:57 pm

its not that bad really.tougher if you have a bad back. the Ebrake cable has to be disconnected,brake lines disconnected.shocks unbolted from the swing arm and all the mounting bolts removed and the cradle just pulls out. i'm going to guess your rear adjustment links will need replacing if you haven't already.they rot quickly. the swing arm bolts and the adjustment link bolts will be rotted too most likely if they look rusted.it would be a good idea too have all replacement hardware ready.swing arm bolts are pretty stout and should be ok.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rear Subframe / Cradle   Rear Subframe / Cradle EmptyWed Dec 09, 2015 1:35 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
its not that bad really.tougher if you have a bad back.  the Ebrake cable has to be disconnected,brake lines disconnected.shocks unbolted from the swing arm and all the mounting bolts removed and the cradle just pulls out. i'm going to guess your rear adjustment links will need replacing if you haven't already.they rot quickly. the swing arm bolts and the adjustment link bolts will be rotted too most likely if they look rusted.it would be a good idea too have all replacement hardware ready.swing arm bolts are pretty stout and should be ok.

Robo,
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it very much.
Where can I get the rear adjustment links if I need them.? Are they available from GM or the aftermarket, or do they need to be custom made.???
I will look for all the replacement bolts and bushings, etc. before starting this job.

Thanks again for your input, as I know you have done quite a bit with the RSSA and appreciate your "Write Up" as it has helped me already.

Rick
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Subframe / Cradle   Rear Subframe / Cradle EmptyWed Dec 09, 2015 8:36 pm

Rickw wrote:

robotennis61 wrote:
its not that bad really.tougher if you have a bad back.  the Ebrake cable has to be disconnected,brake lines disconnected.shocks unbolted from the swing arm and all the mounting bolts removed and the cradle just pulls out. i'm going to guess your rear adjustment links will need replacing if you haven't already.they rot quickly. the swing arm bolts and the adjustment link bolts will be rotted too most likely if they look rusted.it would be a good idea too have all replacement hardware ready.swing arm bolts are pretty stout and should be ok.

Robo,
Where can I get the rear adjustment links if I need them.? Are they available from GM or the aftermarket, or do they need to be custom made.???
I will look for all the replacement bolts and bushings, etc. before starting this job.

Thanks again for your input, as I know you have done quite a bit with the RSSA and appreciate your "Write Up" as it has helped me already.

Rick

just go to the front pages of my write up and the order info is there.The only problem is the modding and welding.i don't know where to get the OE adjustment links. I do know they're hard to find. maybe morads has a pair to sell? Let me know
Back to top Go down
R1V 1T UP
Enthusiast
R1V 1T UP

Name : Timothy
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Rear Subframe / Cradle   Rear Subframe / Cradle EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 7:48 pm

Hey there-. It looks like subframe issues have headed my way as well. Where are these links or this write-up? Any help is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://livinthedream1.bandcamp.com
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Subframe / Cradle   Rear Subframe / Cradle EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 10:54 pm

R1V 1T UP wrote:
Hey there-. It looks like subframe issues have headed my way as well. Where are these links or this write-up? Any help is appreciated.  

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7827-write-up-custom-rear-adjustment-links
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Rear Subframe / Cradle   Rear Subframe / Cradle EmptySat Mar 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Rickw wrote:

robotennis61 wrote:

Robo,

Rick

Hi Rickr

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1998,riviera,3.8l+v6+supercharged,1303322,suspension,lateral+link,10414

try that

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Subframe / Cradle   Rear Subframe / Cradle Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear Subframe / Cradle
Page 1 of 1