Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Coolant wont flow! Help!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JacobsRedRivi

Name : Jake
Merit : 0

Coolant wont flow! Help! Empty
PostSubject: Coolant wont flow! Help!   Coolant wont flow! Help! EmptyMon May 29, 2017 2:17 pm

Hey guys after replacing my lim, supercharger, thermostat i refilled the coolant and when i turned it on its not sucking down any coolant. Im not sure why its doing this ive never had this problem before. Is it because i replaced my oem tstat with a zzp 180 tstat?? Maybe it doesnt work with the 95 rivi. Im not sure. Please help. Ive tried turning the heater on and opening the screw thats over the tstat housing.
Back to top Go down
JacobsRedRivi

PostSubject: Re: Coolant wont flow! Help!   Coolant wont flow! Help! EmptyMon May 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Alos all the hoses are hot except the one coming from the lower radiator to the water pump
Back to top Go down
Lmck3
Amateur
Lmck3

Name : Lance Mckinley
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Coolant wont flow! Help!   Coolant wont flow! Help! EmptyTue May 30, 2017 12:31 am

you may have enough trapped air in the upper coolant passages so as to
interfere with getting the thermostat open.

the 3800 engine has a bleed screw on the thermostat housing because
air pockets form in the upper cooling passages of a newly filled Buick 3800 motor.
said bleed screw helps get the air out, but only after thermostat opens.

if there is no coolant or not much hot coolant contacting the thermostat, it has a hard time opening
so as to allow coolant to flow.  [ and that coolant flow is what gets the air pockets out of the system]

what is not good is that where an air pocket is located, the head can form a hot spot because
coolant against metal is what removes harmful heat.

a 1/8 inch hole drilled at the edge of the thermostat helps the coolant system fill naturally and
allows the newly introduced coolant to displace air if one has patience and adds coolant very slowly.

the Factory manual directs the mechanic to get the engine warm enough to make pressure in the
cooling system, then crack open the coolant bleed screw in order to release air.

with a drilled thermostat, not much air escapes via the bleed screw, usually none.

Coolant wont flow! Help! Drilledstatx1600
Back to top Go down
JacobsRedRivi

PostSubject: Re: Coolant wont flow! Help!   Coolant wont flow! Help! EmptyTue May 30, 2017 10:38 am

Awesome. I got all the air out and coolant flows. But sadly my water pump gasket blew on the test drive:( drove like a dream untill that haplened. Looks like i get to do this a 4th time. This time i may have to re thread the engine block. frown fml
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Coolant wont flow! Help!   Coolant wont flow! Help! EmptyTue May 30, 2017 12:16 pm

I think you might want to check compression in your cylinders, preferably a leakdown test. I wonder if your engine is blowing into the water jacket. Thoughts anyone?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coolant wont flow! Help!   Coolant wont flow! Help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Coolant wont flow! Help!
Page 1 of 1