Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
18tyweslow
Special
18tyweslow

Name : Tyler Weslow
Merit : 0

1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating Empty
PostSubject: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptyThu Dec 27, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a 1998 Riv with around 175k on it. I noticed recently the car likes to jerk. I'll have cruise control on going 60MPH, the car will make a big jerk and the cruise will turn off. It happens with and without cruise control on. It also happens when I'm accelerating, just less so. Happens at all speeds as well, not just high speeds.

Anyone have any idea? Please don't tell me my tranny is going. frown
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptyFri Dec 28, 2018 8:43 am

18tyweslow wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a 1998 Riv with around 175k on it. I noticed recently the car likes to jerk. I'll have cruise control on going 60MPH, the car will make a big jerk and the cruise will turn off. It happens with and without cruise control on. It also happens when I'm accelerating, just less so. Happens at all speeds as well, not just high speeds.

Have you noticed the RPMs going up, and then a big bang? Does it jerk in reverse? From a take off?
Back to top Go down
18tyweslow
Special
18tyweslow

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptyFri Dec 28, 2018 11:16 am

I have not noticed it jerking in reverse or take off. It’s normally just cruising. It jerks a tiny tiny bit when I’m giving it a lot of gas when already moving, for example on a 35 road turning on to an onramp. I have not noticed anything strange with the RPMs.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptyFri Dec 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Does it stutter when you get on it, like misfire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptyFri Dec 28, 2018 2:39 pm

18tyweslow wrote:
I have not noticed it jerking in reverse or take off. It’s normally just cruising. It jerks a tiny tiny bit when I’m giving it a lot of gas when already moving, for example on a 35 road turning on to an onramp. I have not noticed anything strange with the RPMs.

The reason I asked is to rule out the transmission wink
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 11:34 am

Ignition control module starting to fail perhaps?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 11:00 am

18tyweslow wrote:
Hi everyone,

Is the Check Engine or Service Engine Soon light on, and if so did you read the codes and what are they.

Does "jerk" mean sudden acceleration or sudden loss of power?

It is quite important to know whether you have or haven't a code set. If you have a code set, it is important to know what it is. A set code may indicate a failure in some other component.

What I would actually do: connect a Tech II or other comprehensive scanner (on my Riv I generally use CarCode and a laptop) and take a driving log of the (entire) OBD II data stream until experiencing the problem, then limp back to the shop and read the log (and review the car's maintenance history) to see what the data pattern points to.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
18tyweslow
Special
18tyweslow

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 6:21 pm

albertj wrote:
18tyweslow wrote:
Hi everyone,

Is the Check Engine or Service Engine Soon light on, and if so did you read the codes and what are they.  

It is quite important to know whether you have or haven't a code set.  If you have a code set, it is important to know what it is.  A set code may indicate a failure in some other component.

What I would actually do:  connect a Tech II or other comprehensive scanner (on my Riv I generally use CarCode and a laptop) and take a driving log of the (entire) OBD II data stream until experiencing the problem, then limp back to the shop and read the log (and review the car's maintenance history) to see what the data pattern points to.

Albertj

No, it has no check engine light on. I've scanned it and no codes are being thrown.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Off the top of my head I suspect the crank sensor or the ignition switch. What do the rest of you think?

18tyweslow wrote:
albertj wrote:
18tyweslow wrote:
Hi everyone,

It is quite important to know whether you have or haven't a code set.  If you have a code set, it is important to know what it is.  A set code may indicate a failure in some other component.

What I would actually do:  connect a Tech II or other comprehensive scanner (on my Riv I generally use CarCode and a laptop) and take a driving log of the (entire) OBD II data stream until experiencing the problem, then limp back to the shop and read the log (and review the car's maintenance history) to see what the data pattern points to.

Albertj

No, it has no check engine light on. I've scanned it and no codes are being thrown.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 11:37 am

It sounds like misfire to me. Very easy to rule misfire out by using a decent (not expensive) scan tool. OBD2 has a misfire monitor for each cylinder. It keeps a running count for each cylinder. It will not light the CEL unless it is severe or often enough. If you see a single cylinder misfiring, suspect that wire or spark plug. If a pair of companion cylinders are misfiring (1-4, 2-5, 3-6), suspect that coil. The OP needs to do some scan tool diagnostics first. It could also be Torque Converter Clutch problems as well. Very difficult to diagnose this over the internet. Other than that, we can just guess, and the OP will replace parts he may not have to, and waste money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 11:19 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
It sounds like misfire to me.  Very easy to rule misfire out by using a decent (not expensive) scan tool.  OBD2 has a misfire monitor for each cylinder.  It keeps a running count for each cylinder.  It will not light the CEL unless it is severe or often enough.  If you see a single cylinder misfiring, suspect that wire or spark plug.  If a pair of companion cylinders are misfiring (1-4, 2-5, 3-6), suspect that coil.  The OP needs to do some scan tool diagnostics first.  It could also be Torque Converter Clutch problems as well.  Very difficult to diagnose this over the internet. Other than that, we can just guess, and the OP will replace parts he may not have to, and waste money.

+1 this.
Back to top Go down
18tyweslow
Special
18tyweslow

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 3:45 pm

albertj wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
It sounds like misfire to me.  Very easy to rule misfire out by using a decent (not expensive) scan tool.  OBD2 has a misfire monitor for each cylinder.  It keeps a running count for each cylinder.  It will not light the CEL unless it is severe or often enough.  If you see a single cylinder misfiring, suspect that wire or spark plug.  If a pair of companion cylinders are misfiring (1-4, 2-5, 3-6), suspect that coil.  The OP needs to do some scan tool diagnostics first.  It could also be Torque Converter Clutch problems as well.  Very difficult to diagnose this over the internet. Other than that, we can just guess, and the OP will replace parts he may not have to, and waste money.

+1 this.

LARRY70GS wrote:

LARRY70GS wrote:

Hiya guys, just giving a quick update.. I did some testing on the coilpacks and found that one of them was acting a little strange with the test I did with a little device that tests if a wire is live or not. I went out on a whim and tried replacing it, and viola! No more misfiring and jerking!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 8:58 pm

18tyweslow wrote:
albertj wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:

+1 this.

LARRY70GS wrote:

LARRY70GS wrote:

Hiya guys, just giving a quick update.. I did some testing on the coilpacks and found that one of them was acting a little strange with the test I did with a little device that tests if a wire is live or not. I went out on a whim and tried replacing it, and viola! No more misfiring and jerking!

Looks like Larry almost nailed it, way to go. +1 to the OP for checking the coils.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating   1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating Empty

Back to top Go down

1998 Riv jerking when crusing and also accelerating
Page 1 of 1