Riviera Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

 

 New here! meet baby shark

Go down 
+4
stan
Jack the R
albertj
bbyshrk
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 1:05 am

whats up, im new to the forum but ive had my riv since january this year. i got it for $360 with a locked motor, both airbags deployed, and a support in the steering column broken. i had the car just sitting for a while. i only recently had the motor replaced. i bought another series 2 with 140k miles off ebay for $400, and paid the shop $800 to drop it in there. now she runs like a champ! my grand total to this point is about $1600 so im not mad about it smile i love the car and the interior is almost perfect! no rips in the seats or anything. i just got a little cracking on the dashboard. i gotta replace the airbags so it can pass inspection and i can register it. does anyone know if century/lesabre/park ave airbags will fit?New here! meet baby shark 6cdcd910
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20283857/1]New here! meet baby shark B885b110
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj


Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 8311
Merit : 173

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 9:14 am

Welcome aboard!  I have a grill I can sell you cheap, PM me for details.

You'll have to find a friendly parts counter person or junkyard person with a Hollander (interchange guide) to address the airbag question - and you'll need a Tech II to get it dialed in once installed. That said, my wild guess would be LeSabre & Aurora, and maybe the '90s Skylark - they had the same steering wheel and airbag cover.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R


Joined : 2007-01-16
Post Count : 7679
Merit : 98

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 9:30 am

Welcome! It's good to see that the airbags deployed without breaking the windshield.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
stan
Expert



Joined : 2007-07-01
Post Count : 2511
Merit : 11

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 12:33 pm

Welcome Mekk.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz


Name : tommy z
Age : 54
Location : the Burgh
Joined : 2019-01-08
Post Count : 209
Merit : 0

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 12:38 pm

hi

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 4:35 pm

albertj wrote:
Welcome aboard!  I have a grill I can sell you cheap, PM me for details.

You'll have to find a friendly parts counter person or junkyard person with a Hollander (interchange guide) to address the airbag question - and you'll need a Tech II to get it dialed in once installed. That said, my wild guess would be LeSabre & Aurora, and maybe the '90s Skylark - they had the same steering wheel and airbag cover.

thank you so much! now all i gotta do is find one that matches my blue interior! and i actually purchased a grille off ebay, it just didn’t include fasteners or screws. i do need those, and a couple other interior parts. like my center console doesn’t close shut because the little latch release is broken, the same for the garage opener door too, but the thing that makes me the most sad is my dash is cracked on the passenger side and has more than a few chips in it ☹ im thinking of trying to repair it myself, cause other than said damages, the interior is sooo nice! the car was a rental car since the day it was bought so it was maintained pretty well. if i remember the carfax correct, it had 2 other owners. and the last owner bought the car salvaged and never got to it. he had it sitting since 05 and he sold it to me so cheap cause the motor locked and he ran out of driveway space for all his projects. he actually had it listed for $600 but it nobody was biting. so i negotiated the price damn near in half lol. the original motor only had 115k miles on it! nobody really got the chance to abuse this car except the people who rented the car back in the day, but it was maintained well by the rental company. the exterior paint just needs to be redone, and the grille slapped on 😊 how can i upload a video of the interior on here? im on my phone
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 4:42 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Welcome! It's good to see that the airbags deployed without breaking the windshield.
thanks! and wow, i didn’t even consider the airbags breaking the windshield 😳 the big ole cracks on the passenger side dash from the airbag deploying distracted me a little haha i am thankful now that you mention it though! counting all my blessings 🙏🏾
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 4:46 pm

stan wrote:
Welcome Mekk.

feels good to be here! i had been lurking in the shadows for a couple of months till i finally decided to make an account haha i know, weird right? but it feels like im already a part of a community 🤝 yall are great!
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 4:48 pm

Rivieraz wrote:
hi

✌🏾😄
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R


Joined : 2007-01-16
Post Count : 7679
Merit : 98

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 7:59 pm

bbyshrk wrote:
but the thing that makes me the most sad is my dash is cracked on the passenger side and has more than a few chips in it ☹

Maybe see if you can find a good dash at a yard and paint it to match your color. I've never had any luck repairing the vinyl covered foam type surfaces, be they dashes, headrests, armrests . . . There are a bunch of videos on YouTube and I haven't tried them all, but what I have tried didn't work.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Addict



Name : Brian Cohen
Joined : 2019-01-07
Post Count : 677
Merit : 4

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 8:09 pm

Welcome and hi. Car-part.com list a zillion yards throughout the country pack your patience and you should be able to find what you need. I think of my car more of a white whale than a shark LOL.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 9:50 pm

Jack the R wrote:
bbyshrk wrote:
but the thing that makes me the most sad is my dash is cracked on the passenger side and has more than a few chips in it ☹

Maybe see if you can find a good dash at a yard and paint it to match your color. I've never had any luck repairing the vinyl covered foam type surfaces, be they dashes, headrests, armrests . . . There are a bunch of videos on YouTube and I haven't tried them all, but what I have tried didn't work.

yeah, ive been thinking the junkyard route might be the way to go too. i saw somebody on youtube sand the rough edges off the cracks, buy sprayable foam and fill the holes, sand off the excess foam, bondo the newly filled cracks, and then sand and paint the finished result. it didn’t look bad, but it didnt look fantastic either 😅 i just want to find one in good condition and slap it back in there, hopefully i can find one the same color too so i dont have to paint it, but i guess beggars cant be choosers lol
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
Welcome and hi. Car-part.com list a zillion yards throughout the country pack your patience and you should be able to find what you need. I think of my car more of a white whale than a shark LOL.

thanks! i’ll definitely have to check it out! and thats funny 😄 its the baby blue color that reminds me most of a shark 🦈 also the oval shape of the car, and the head lights being so wide apart. i googled a white whale and i also see the resemblance, but the forehead on it is quite big haha what color is your car? you should share some pics
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast



Name : Dmitry
Joined : 2016-08-28
Post Count : 239
Merit : 11

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 6:06 am

bbyshrk wrote:
i didn’t even consider the airbags breaking the windshield
Lucky you. My windshield shattered when airbags deployed. But guess what - now I have a new windshield (well, it is already 3 years old), he-he.
As for the airbags - in the steering wheel I put one off the Regal with the same steering wheel design, and the passenger one is from Riviera, I think they are unique for our cars.
My dash was cracked too, I got it wrapped in black alcantara/synthetic suede. No reflections of the dash in the windshield, whatsoever.

P.S. Welcome!

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 9:05 am

DeepFrozen wrote:
bbyshrk wrote:
i didn’t even consider the airbags breaking the windshield
Lucky you. My windshield shattered when airbags deployed. But guess what - now I have a new windshield (well, it is already 3 years old), he-he.
As for the airbags - in the steering wheel I put one off the Regal with the same steering wheel design, and the passenger one is from Riviera, I think they are unique for our cars.
My dash was cracked too, I got it wrapped in black alcantara/synthetic suede. No reflections of the dash in the windshield, whatsoever.

P.S. Welcome!

let me go ahead and add regal to the list of steering wheels to look for in blue, thank you! and the previous guy had put some type of dash cover with velcro on it that looked real nice n mediocre, maybe wrapping it might be a better option for me 🤔💡do you have any pics for reference?
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast



Name : Dmitry
Joined : 2016-08-28
Post Count : 239
Merit : 11

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 10:56 am

I'm pretty sure any airbag from the steering wheel of "our" design will fit, and there are several Buicks with such steering wheels (not the Aurora though). Some years of the Park Avenue, pre-97 Regals... You got the idea. Do some picture-googling )
If you want to restore SRS functionality, you're going to need intact airbag module, located under the passenger seat. What year is your Riviera? Modules are different for 95 and 97+.
I'll make some pictures of my dash later.
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 11:27 am

DeepFrozen wrote:
I'm pretty sure any airbag from the steering wheel of "our" design will fit, and there are several Buicks with such steering wheels (not the Aurora though). Some years of the Park Avenue, pre-97 Regals... You got the idea. Do some picture-googling )
If you want to restore SRS functionality, you're going to need intact airbag module, located under the passenger seat. What year is your Riviera? Modules are different for 95 and 97+.
I'll make some pictures of my dash later.

thank you! this is all very helpful information. mine is a 96, will i need a new clock spring?
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast



Name : Dmitry
Joined : 2016-08-28
Post Count : 239
Merit : 11

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 11:41 am

I don't think so. Mine is Ok after the BOOOM and the airbag isn't part of the clock spring, it just connects to it.
You will find a TON of information on this forum - and this is great. What's not so great - a lot of pictures were lost due to Photobucket's greed.
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 12:15 pm

DeepFrozen wrote:
I don't think so. Mine is Ok after the BOOOM and the airbag isn't part of the clock spring, it just connects to it.
You will find a TON of information on this forum - and this is great. What's not so great - a lot of pictures were lost due to Photobucket's greed.

ive noticed that alot of photos posted here through photo bucket dont even show up for me, i was even wondering how to upload videos so i could post my car interior vid and the video of it running, i might just have to post it on youtube and share the link
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Addict



Name : Brian Cohen
Joined : 2019-01-07
Post Count : 677
Merit : 4

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Try flicker.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 6:41 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
Try flicker.

she’s immaculate 🤩🤩
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Addict



Name : Brian Cohen
Joined : 2019-01-07
Post Count : 677
Merit : 4

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 6:47 pm

Ty, a lot of time and money lol. Also, the people on this board made a big difference.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 6:55 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
Ty, a lot of time and money lol. Also, the people on this board made a big difference.
makes me happy i joined the community, i cant wait to get mine to look this nice! ive learned plenty new things just getting responses back from you guys and searching through the rest of the forum 😁 very eager to see what the future holds for my lil shark 🦈
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Addict



Name : Brian Cohen
Joined : 2019-01-07
Post Count : 677
Merit : 4

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 6:57 pm

Tons of great info here.
Back to top Go down
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs


Name : steve
Age : 68
Location : L.I NY
Joined : 2008-03-09
Post Count : 173
Merit : 1

New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark EmptyThu Nov 26, 2020 12:13 pm

Get a new dash and spray it with interior paint the company is SEM great product and it will not peel wears great good luck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





New here! meet baby shark Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here! meet baby shark   New here! meet baby shark Empty

Back to top Go down
 
New here! meet baby shark
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Baby tomato plants
» Baby Figs
» First baby tomatoes!
» New meet up smiley
» catching baby pigs

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-
Jump to: