Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rear moon roof drains

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nico Toscani
Amateur
Nico Toscani

Name : Nico Toscani
Merit : 0

Rear moon roof drains Empty
PostSubject: Rear moon roof drains   Rear moon roof drains EmptySat Nov 12, 2022 11:20 am

Greetings all,
1998 Riviera, I’m having an issue with water coming from this seam on both sides of my trunk when washing it. I believe the elbows of the moon roof drains may be disconnected. Can someone tell me what to remove to access this drain tube/elbow? Many many thanksRear moon roof drains C154d910
Rear moon roof drains C154d910
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Rear moon roof drains   Rear moon roof drains EmptySat Nov 12, 2022 7:55 pm

That problem is just the seams, You might should seal them with auto body seam sealer on the top side (the topside seams near area around the trunk hinge).  The moonroof drains run thru the A pillars.

Last edited by albertj on Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nico Toscani
Amateur
Nico Toscani

PostSubject: Re: Rear moon roof drains   Rear moon roof drains EmptySat Nov 12, 2022 8:11 pm

There are drains in the C pillar too but I’ve discovered that it’s not the drains. I think it’s coming from under this trim piece. Anyone know how these attach?Rear moon roof drains A0d39910
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Rear moon roof drains   Rear moon roof drains EmptySat Nov 12, 2022 8:35 pm

Nico Toscani wrote:
There are drains in the C pillar too but I’ve discovered that it’s not the drains. I think it’s coming from under this trim piece. Anyone know how these attach?Rear moon roof drains A0d39910

Those plastic trims attach with 3M doulesided trim tape that is die-cut to fit. Unless they have been removed in which case maybe urethane would be used to reattach. The 'seams' they cover are bonded.

What happenss with those seams on the flats where the trunk hinges are attached, is the water will enter them one place and exit another. You have to clean and rebond the entire seam that is visible looking down at the hinge(s).

See the link https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-2013-Joint-Filler-Compound/dp/B007Q0ZQGK

You can buy similar material from Eastwood, or from a local auto paint shop.

You might want a 1" putty knife to work the seam sealer into the offending seams.
Back to top Go down
Nico Toscani
Amateur
Nico Toscani

PostSubject: Re: Rear moon roof drains   Rear moon roof drains EmptySat Nov 12, 2022 8:39 pm

Are you saying to seal the seams inside the trunk I’ve pointed out in my first post?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Rear moon roof drains   Rear moon roof drains EmptySun Nov 13, 2022 8:27 am

Seal it from the top. It's right where the trunk lid hinge attaches. This is a very common problem with this car. I sealed them years ago with clear silicone. There are probably better sealers to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Rear moon roof drains   Rear moon roof drains EmptyMon Nov 14, 2022 10:59 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
Seal it from the top.  It's right where the trunk lid hinge attaches.  This is a very common problem with this car.  I sealed them years ago with clear silicone.  There are probably better sealers to use.

I had the same leak appear not long after I bought my Riv (20+ years ago). The dealer removed the trunk lid and sealed the seams from the top using some sort of hard, clear cement. Which cracked a few years later and teh leaking resumed. I had my car in for body shop work and at that time had the technician remove the trunk lid and re-seal. Technician used body seam material (what I pointed out to you in an earlier post) and that seam did not leak at all thereafter.

The reason this problem occurs is that the Riviera body, much of it was bonded and patched, factory. It was a variant, if you will, from the Aurora (I was told).
Back to top Go down
Nico Toscani
Amateur
Nico Toscani

PostSubject: Re: Rear moon roof drains   Rear moon roof drains EmptyTue Nov 15, 2022 9:27 pm

Ok thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear moon roof drains   Rear moon roof drains Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear moon roof drains
Page 1 of 1