Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Windshield Washer squirting orange rust fluid, repair

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ADDvanced

Name : ADDvanced
Merit : 5

Windshield Washer squirting orange rust fluid, repair Empty
PostSubject: Windshield Washer squirting orange rust fluid, repair   Windshield Washer squirting orange rust fluid, repair EmptySat Jul 13, 2024 8:31 am

So I decided to tackle this today, it was pretty straight forward, other than discovering the 2nd reservoir.

The first one under the hood looked gross, I put new fluid in it but it didn't help. I looked down into it, and there were visible rust chunks in it, fairly large ones, and a lot of sediment. I'm not sure why GM put something in this system that could rust, but here we are.

Then I jacked up the car, removed the front wheel, and removed the fender liner (be sure to use a trim tool to remove the fasteners, remove hte center first then they just pop out). I then removed the second/primary washer reservoir. This did require cutting some electrical tape, so you can remove the harness from the tank itself. Unplug everything, remove reservoir.

To clean, I flushed out with a hose, then did dry rice, and a 50/50 mix of vinegar and hot water. It helped a lot. Both of the tanks are still stained orangeish, but they are now fairly clean.

Happy to have working washers again. smile
Back to top Go down

Windshield Washer squirting orange rust fluid, repair
Page 1 of 1