Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Alignment woes

Go down 
+5
'96reese
albertj
ewolfe0050
Jack the R
1998 Riv
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

Alignment woes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2007 10:35 pm

albertj wrote:
...............................Sometimes I wonder if all this fuss is worth it -- until I am driving the Riv down an open 2- or 4+ lane highway. Boy when the Riv is running right (it usually is) it is a dream to drive, and gets me where I'm going without tiring me or forcing contortions.......................

Albertj

Amen to that! After finally getting things squared away this morning, I hit interstate for an hour and a half drive out and back to town, just because. My Riv is a completely different car with new air shocks in the rear and KYB's up front, with new springs. Next up... eliminate that pesky KR... bonk
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2007 10:41 pm

And while I was waiting for the rework and new alignment to be completed, I decided it was time to get rid of the really ugly OEM exhaust tips. Been thinking about it for a while, and they had a set that is similar in design to OEM, but nice shiny chrome of course. I'll have to post a pic later. Total spent after 2.5 hrs at the shop: $36. 3gears
Back to top Go down
jeffyd123
Enthusiast

Name : Jeff Del Vechio
Merit : 4

PostSubject: 95 alignment issue - constantly pulling to right - SOLVED!   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi All.
My car started slightly pulling to the right and has been doing so despite 3 alignments at Pep Boys.

Well I went to another tire shop that I have been to before and thought I wold share what had happened.

After 4 hours in the bay, the driver's side front wheel kept losing its camber setting.

The guys scratched their heads and replaced the 2 bolts that connect the strut to the steering knuckle. That was it! The camber stayed in place and the car drives straight. The steering also feels much tighter now.

The bolts seemed like they were in decent shape (although worn looking) but the new ones did the trick. BTW they put a lot of torque on them when tightening them... the torque wrench hammered on it for about 10 seconds.

Hope it helps anyone having a similar issue.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffyd123 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 1:48 pm

good tip jeffyd123! that might do the trick for me too! thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 3:25 pm

BTW Moog has a 'problem solver" bolt kit for just his problem. Advantage Auto (saw it today while looking for steering parts).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 5:00 pm

I'm curious, what does the bolt kit consist off and how does it affect camber.?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Rickw wrote:
I'm curious, what does the bolt kit consist off and how does it affect camber.?

Bolts and keyed washers thatlet you adjust the camber +/- 1 degree or +/- 1-1/2 degrees.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks Albert,
I'm sorry, I mis-read his initial post. I am aware of the bolts and elliptical washers used at the spindle and strut mount.
I had my head..........well you know where.!!!!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 6:11 pm

Rickw wrote:
Thanks Albert,
I'm sorry, I mis-read his initial post. I am aware of the bolts and elliptical washers used at the spindle and strut mount.
I had my head..........well you know where.!!!!

no prob. someone else reading the post won't know but after reading this will go find out, and fix his/her car.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 6:16 pm

I thought the "Caster Kit" consisted of the labor required to elongate the holes in the strut tower to allow forward and aft movement of the top of the strut assy, which provides for Caster Adjustment.
If there is another way to move the top of the Strut Assembly fore and aft, other than elongating the holes, I'd like to know about it.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:51 pm

Rickw wrote:
I thought the "Caster Kit" consisted of the labor required to elongate the holes in the strut tower to allow forward and aft movement of the top of the strut assy, which provides for Caster Adjustment.
If there is another way to move the top of the Strut Assembly fore and aft, other than elongating the holes, I'd like to know about it.
Thanks

deleted

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm sorry I can't visualize what you are referring to nor do i think I've seen one. (Caster kit that is)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 8:29 pm

check 'advantageauto.com'

I admit I may be confusing caster and camber as per kit.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Just to clarify things, I could not find any listing for "Advantageauto.com"
So I went to "Advanceautoparts.com" and found the Camber Bolt Kits you discussed from MOOG.
But when i queried many different ways for a Caster Kit, I came up empty.
If anyone knows of a kit to help adjust Caster on the Riviera I'd be very interested in hearing about it and potentially using it.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 pm

Rickw wrote:
Just to clarify things, I could not find any listing for "Advantageauto.com"
So I went to "Advanceautoparts.com" and found the Camber Bolt Kits you discussed from MOOG.
But when i queried many different ways for a Caster Kit, I came up empty.
If anyone knows of a kit to help adjust Caster on the Riviera I'd be very interested in hearing about it and potentially using it.
Thanks

Thanks RIck, obviously I screwed up. Went back and fixed the post (an Orwellian revisionist, I know...)

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alignment woes   Alignment woes - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Alignment woes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2