Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle

Go down 
+40
duster_do_little
stan
KnottyEagle
matt270avian
Sir Psycho Sexy
69GSColorado
charlieRobinson
al_roethlisberger
bigdave
Birdawgxx
Roberta
1998 Riv
Abaddon
#1BearsFan
98inSFl
Eldo
Rickw
GMFreak8
BMD
96riv
albertj
IBx1
ibmoses
'96reese
SpaceBar
99Rivman
AA
deekster_caddy
Jack the R
dennycrane
Ridin-Rivi
2toneRivi
Face
98riv
jimmyriv
Mr.Riviera
jax95riv
RhinoFLA
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 8:00 pm

9ty7rivi wrote:
Changed my outside driver handle with the OEM handle of deatj @ $100! Very solid and strong. Feels like the passenger may break next! 😕

deatj?

Is it so good that you feel no need to upgrade to metal?
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

Name : terrance
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 8:40 pm

Jack the R wrote:
9ty7rivi wrote:
Changed my outside driver handle with the OEM handle of deatj @ $100! Very solid and strong. Feels like the passenger may break next! 😕

deatj?

Is it so good that you feel no need to upgrade to metal?

"DEATH" sorry I updated spell error.

I feel that I will get another 20+yrs out of it based on "Feel" from handle. I don't pull the handle to pull door all the way open either.

Was it expensive? Hell yes. But! I did not want to go back in there and do it twice as I felt I would have needed to if I had bought the $20 one.. IMO
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 9:31 pm

Do you still have the old one?
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 9:00 am

Jack the R wrote:
Do you still have the old one?

AS A matter of fact I just sent and looked and I sure do! I try not to throw trash away..

I also have a nice peal handle that I pulled from a 98 rivi. Totally different design! I mean who changes parts so damn often?! The Rivi that's for sure like the ONLY year control arms from my 97 that were NEVER made again! Enough of the rant..

Are you wanting to know specifics about where my handle broke? Remember I have a 97 and it differs in design/flaws.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 11:59 am

I have a 97 too, so that's not a problem for me. I was hoping to make 3D printed metal parts available for everyone, but if the design changed every year, there goes that idea.

Can you post pics of the broken part? I might still want to have some metal upgrades for myself and other 97 owners. I can't stand the squishy feel of the stock handles, and it feels like it's only a matter of time before a passenger breaks one.
Back to top Go down
widgets
Amateur

Name : eric
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 12:32 pm

Has anyone had a door fail without the plastic bend break??

I think it's the small piece of plastic that hold the metal rod into lock/latch that has worn down & allows the rod to move without moving the lock/latch mechanism...

Sorry if that's hard to follow
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 1:04 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I have a 97 too, so that's not a problem for me. I was hoping to make 3D printed metal parts available for everyone, but if the design changed every year, there goes that idea.

Can you post pics of the broken part? I might still want to have some metal upgrades for myself and other 97 owners. I can't stand the squishy feel of the stock handles, and it feels like it's only a matter of time before a passenger breaks one.

Yes I can. Below I have attached pics and will comment after upload.
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 1:12 pm

Below is my original 97 door handle. As you can see from the close up it broke only on the side that the rod would normally be and that was plenty of stress for 20+ yrs of pulls!

door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 20210816door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 20210817door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 20210818
door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 20210819
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 1:19 pm

Below I have take side by side comparison of the difference between the 97 vs 98 in design. Maybe added strength. Either it can way can fool you from the exterior appearance if you plan on picking one yourself. Was a nice very nice Pearl white rivi(rip).

door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 20210820door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 20210822
door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 20210821
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 1:24 pm

widgets wrote:
Has anyone had a door fail without the plastic bend break??

I think it's the small piece of plastic that hold the metal rod into lock/latch that has worn down & allows the rod to move without moving the lock/latch mechanism...

Sorry if that's hard to follow

That would be hard to press out and pushed back in without the right tools. I could probably try to successfully pick this one out without destroying it. bonk
Back to top Go down
widgets
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 1:27 pm

I think that It will have to be rigged... Maybe can bend a new rod that's a few 1/16ths of an inch longer. I tried to lock up the part of the door handle mechanism that has a rivet with some up & down play... Couldn't get it stuck. Tack weld?? Haha
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 1:34 pm

widgets wrote:
I think that It will have to be rigged... Maybe can bend a new rod that's a few 1/16ths of an inch longer. I tried to lock up the part of the door handle mechanism that has a rivet with some up & down play... Couldn't get it stuck. Tack weld?? Haha

Only thing is that part has to rotate freely with the motion of the rod coming and and down. Pivots are hard to weld!

Now if you can make a rod that does that exact motion and not hang up? Kudos to you! that may inadvertently stress the known weak link, and thus still end in catastrophic failure! Theoretically speaking of course. I have faith in all MODS.
Back to top Go down
widgets
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 6:48 pm

9ty7rivi wrote:
widgets wrote:

Damned good point.... Guess it's good that I didn't manage to lock it up! Hmm... Time will tell what's to be

Only thing is that part has to rotate freely with the motion of the rod coming and and down. Pivots are hard to weld!

Now if you can make a rod that does that exact motion and not hang up? Kudos to you! that may inadvertently stress the known weak link, and thus still end in catastrophic failure! Theoretically speaking of course. I have faith in all MODS.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 1:16 pm

widgets wrote:

The tricks with bending rods - get one from almost any junkyard car - is a cheap way to get the stock rod material...

Heat it before you bend it.  try heating and bending a couple scrap pieces first if you're not familiar.  Quench with motor oil but watch out for flareups.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle   door handle - Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Fixing Outside Door Handle
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6