Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

transmission question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

transmission question Empty
PostSubject: transmission question   transmission question EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 3:02 pm

i was sittin here thinking about putting bigger wheels on the riv, actually i've been thinking about this for a minute now. i know that upgrading wheels will mess up the speed, ride hieght, stopping power, and transmission(the most important). now the question is will a tranny from a '96 sc drdop in my '96 non sc with no modification? and do you think its better if jus have mine rebuilt to handle the extra weight?
now mind you that before i even put the wheels on the car the suspension will completely redone. meaning new struts, springs, plates, bushings, sway bar links, bushings, air shocks, rear tie rod and link, and a bigger braking system all the way around. of which i will probably do all the work myself cause i can get a cheap price on parts thru my job and use the racks at work and do the align ment myself.after the wheels gone it will be time to paint, then im redoing the interrior.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: transmission question   transmission question EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 6:01 pm

wow, quite a full list you have going.
i dont think there is any difference in the N/A vs S/c riv transmissions. is yours broke? if you are just looking to make it stronger you can buy the HD kit or even better put intense LSD and axle in it and you should be good to go.

Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: transmission question   transmission question EmptyWed Nov 21, 2007 6:55 pm

the tranny isnt broke. i just had a new motor dropped in it and a lot of people have been telling me that the new motor wit the old tranny will be toooo much power for the old tranny. jus early prevention thats all. i would rather have it rebuilt when i have the money not when i dont have it
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: transmission question   transmission question EmptyWed Nov 28, 2007 4:09 pm

It is my understanding the only differences in the HD vs non-HD trans are the gear ratio, diff and diff cover. The differences lead you to need a shorter axle for the pass side.

If your trans has a few miles on it and you are concerned about it, try and be gentle then rebuild when you can with HD parts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: transmission question   transmission question Empty

Back to top Go down

transmission question
Page 1 of 1