Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge

Go down 
+73
RidzRiv
1997riv
bigdave
bmcd9179
stan
joshuadalegrimes
charlieRobinson
Fromano
matt270avian
Johnny5
al_roethlisberger
BKRIV
Rod.G
ghost88
rk0ehn
J. Chris Davis
GreenMonster
GreenSupreme
VJD2
7901mark
Snowdog
Its a car part now
GMFreak8
brmcm15
Hometown Hero
L67
Ryan from Ohio
LARRY70GS
96Super
robotennis61
texasfan010
woggy
Rickw
Fuzzy
rivboy
97rivsc
lyonsperformance
1wickedninja
SuperRiv07
gliderguy
agood1
deekster_caddy
albertj
Supercharged
blackbart95
99 Riviera 99
IBx1
palermocorey90
mr.19982tone
Jack the R
98riv
RIVhorsepwr
RivMan
okiedrifter
jimmyriv
AA
97rivman
RhinoFLA
urbsnspices
dreww
SpaceBar
NO 4 EVR
Jason
TType_Riviera
turtleman
pwmin
jax95riv
Mr.Riviera
oldsman105
1998 Riv
T Riley
77 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 9:23 pm

I think that should work. Maybe try testing the gauge with a shorter line under the hood, or hook up to an air compressor. Here's a link to an earlier page in the thread, showing how another member did it:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t189p105-write-up-installing-boost-gauge

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 10:05 pm

turtleman wrote:
Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 Dirtyengine1

conveniently, theres a plugged port on the top that i am going to connect a vac. gauge i had from my last car to but i certainly do want to get a boost gauge. btw its a 97.

This reminds me, Where's the PCV valve?

This post is hilarious. Codith, you've come a long way, homie. Inspiring, really.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 12:57 am

Charlie you can say that again lol. Check out my sweet bright-ass white wire just eye-soring up the engine bay which i'm pretty sure was for a set of fog lights I installed under the bumper that did almost nothing haha
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 2:23 am

Well, tomorrow (today technically) is homecoming. We all know what that means, sitting around for hours on end waiting for her to get ready. Normally, I would have nothing to do. But it just so happens that I have $20 in AutoZone credit and all the time in the world. It also just so happens that I may have broken the vacuum line under the snout when I changed the coupler, and it may or may not be held together with heat shrink. It's like one of those signs or something. I've got a toolkit, dremel, zip ties, and soldering iron within reach. Just as long as they have a cheapy gauge in stock...........
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Posting as I work on this.

Here I used a drill press with a hole bit to enlargen the hole as needed. Fits like a glove.

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 2013-113

Just test fitting everything. Gauge matches like perfectly. Looks awesome.

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 2013-114

Chances are good that the black plastic piece will not want to stay in as tightly as stock. Feel free to use the adhesive of your choice here.

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 2013-115

Tape off as much as you need to to mark where to cut the ducting. I gave myself plenty of room here.

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 2013-116

Feel free to use more adhesive here. I accidentally broke off the tabs that hold the duct to the plastic piece. You also need to seal off the hole you made with something. I used more duct tape.

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 2013-117

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 2013-118

Stopping here for today. Waiting for assistance on running the power/vacuum lines. A helping hand is always nice on stuff like that. The gauge looks really crooked here but it's not. Looks awesome from the position I sit in.

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 2013-119
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 5:35 pm

looks nice. if i went that way id probly use the top duct since i cant aim it for crap lol
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 5:56 pm

I can't aim the bottom one for crap. lol
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Nice
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Name : Bryson
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 1:16 am

So do any of you guys have a boost gauge installed, I just installed mine like 10 min ago. It's an glow shift one. I hooked up the vacuum line and everything done right but it goes to negative 15psi and when I punch it, it goes to 0psi, so do I need to adjust the needle? And when the needle is off and car is off it goes to 0psi.

My boost guage needle needs to be adusted one of my buddies said, anyone have a glow shift boost gauge?
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Temp   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 7:53 am

The -15 is the gauge reading vacuum. At idle and at light cruise it should read vacuum. As load increases it should advance to zero and into + as boost is created. If it is getting to zero but not into positive, you either are not creating any boost or you may have tapped into the wrong vacuum line.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 11:29 am

Your boost gauge is hooked up wrong or you aren't making any boost.
"I hooked up the vacuum line and everything done right but it goes to negative 15psi and when I punch it, it goes to 0psi, so do I need to adjust the needle? And when the needle is off and car is off it goes to 0psi."

If working and hooked correctly you will see the neg(vac), but under load you will see positive boost.

Also post pics of your boost gauge install. Check for BBV movement under the hood when blipping the throttle. Thats the black actuator arm on the SC on the front right when facing you. If you reach over to the TB and give it a solid rev, you should see the actuator extend.

I suspect the not displaying boost and "vtec" thing are seperate issues if you still see no boost under the "vtec" condition.

Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Got mine actually hooked up today (finally). We finished, turned the car on, and revved it. Saw no boost. We were both like "Awwwww F$#@". Then I suggested we go for a quick drive just to be sure. Took it easy to the highway, nothing. Got on the highway, gunned it, needle took off. Think I hit about 11-12 pounds on the shift. Couldn't tell for sure because it was dark and I was watching the road. 34 degrees out.
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

Name : Going Nowhere Fast
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:52 pm

Mines on the aeroforce is displayed negative 19.21 but when I put my foot in her I got as high as 6.6 lbs of boost kickass
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 12:01 am

I didn't have an "L" fitting so I had to make a "T" work..... I want it done right..... Won't be there for long.

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 2013-124

If you follow the line under the snout back it goes to that "T". One of the ports of it is plugged. Perfect for running a concealed line. Can take more pictures if wanted.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyTue May 27, 2014 7:28 pm

Alright, I was watching my gauge today and I was constantly getting 14 psi at the top of first. I seriously doubt that that is correct. Anyone have any explanation besides the gauge being off?
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyWed May 28, 2014 9:07 am

How much vacuum do you get at idle?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyWed May 28, 2014 9:19 am

matt270avian wrote:
Alright, I was watching my gauge today and I was constantly getting 14 psi at the top of first. I seriously doubt that that is correct. Anyone have any explanation besides the gauge being off?

Based on what I see in your sig, that could easily be correct. You've dropped pulley sizes but I don't see anything increasing valve lift, so the air pressure can't get out of the intake resulting in a high amount of PSI in the manifold. If you put something increasing intake valve lift and or duration you'll lower that PSI a bit and improve airflow. The higher your PSI the more heat you are going to create as well.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyWed May 28, 2014 8:52 pm

J. Chris Davis wrote:
How much vacuum do you get at idle?

Not sure, the gauge only shows boost. That was almost a deal breaker but I decided to stick with it.

deekster_caddy wrote:

matt270avian wrote:

Based on what I see in your sig, that could easily be correct. You've dropped pulley sizes but I don't see anything increasing valve lift, so the air pressure can't get out of the intake resulting in a high amount of PSI in the manifold. If you put something increasing intake valve lift and or duration you'll lower that PSI a bit and improve airflow. The higher your PSI the more heat you are going to create as well.

Makes sense. I've noticed on the 90* days the gauge will go up to ~200* under really heavy driving (I have a 180* tstat).
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Where is the best place to run the line through the firewall? Also, can I run the line right off that plugged port where the brake booster plugs into the intake? Otherwise I might T into the line that runs across the front to the fuel pressure regulator.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 2:06 pm

I had to drill a small hole in my firewall and put a grommet in to get all of my stuff fed into the engine bay. If you do this watch out for wires on the other side of where you drill. I have a T on the right side of the motor (firewall) where the line goes from under the supercharger snout and feeds back.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 2:31 pm

stydel311 wrote:
Where is the best place to run the line through the firewall?  Also, can I run the line right off that plugged port where the brake booster plugs into the intake? Otherwise I might T into the line that runs across the front to the fuel pressure regulator.

There's a big wire harness pass-through that's fairly easy to get into on the passenger side.
Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 A3e1731d-57a2-4b6b-8077-57e52c08ea15
I tried to edit this pic with an arrow but it didn't work for some reason.. stupid photobucket.
anyway it's where all the wires are coming out of.
You remove two flat nuts and then take off the plastic cover. Inside, just remove the one lower foot panel on the bottom of the dash held on by two 7mm screws and you have access. You can add any wiring/hoses you want there without needing to drill anything or use additional grommets and stuff.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 2:34 pm

I was not aware of the pass through on the passenger side. Good call!
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 4:06 pm

If you're going to the door vent with it, I tapped mine into the vacuum line that goes off the passenger side of the LIM, then ran it through the fender to the door harness, then through the door harness boot to the door itself.
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 5:47 pm

Dang, the turtle has a clean engine bay and cradle/suspension for a car in Illinois!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 6:10 pm

Thanks for that tip, Cody! Ima run my wide band through there.

Update:

Here is what I found after removing the clip in plastic with tons of foam shield.

Looks like a plastic panel with 4 bolts and 2 wiring ports.

I can reach the other side of this port panel by peeling back the carpet on the passengers side.

Wondering what the best way is to sneak more wiring through there? study
Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 Unname10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge
Page 12 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next