Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Grounding issue?

Go down 
+2
99Rivman
Jack the R
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2008 5:16 pm

I'm having an electrical problem that's causing the power to die when I turn the ignition. The interior lights work, but cut out when I put the ignition in "start," and the starter motor doesn't turn either.

I think the battery isn't grounded right, although I am not sure why the electricity only cuts out on start. But anyway I managed to strip the threads on the negative terminal (what tard thought soft lead threads were a good idea?), so while the metal of the cable end is touching the metal of the negative terminal, perhaps it isn't enough?

I guess my best option would be to get a bolt with bigger threads?

While I'm asking, in what order do you disconnect/reconnect terminals from a battery? I always figured the ground would come off last, but perhaps that's wrong. I was removing the positive lead when the end of my socket wrench hit the floorpan, sending sparks flying. Not sure how I didn't get zapped holding on to a metal wrench with electricity flowing through it.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I'm having an electrical problem that's causing the power to die when I turn the ignition. The interior lights work, but cut out when I put the ignition in "start," and the starter motor doesn't turn either.

I think the battery isn't grounded right, although I am not sure why the electricity only cuts out on start. But anyway I managed to strip the threads on the negative terminal (what tard thought soft lead threads were a good idea?), so while the metal of the cable end is touching the metal of the negative terminal, perhaps it isn't enough?

I guess my best option would be to get a bolt with bigger threads?

While I'm asking, in what order do you disconnect/reconnect terminals from a battery? I always figured the ground would come off last, but perhaps that's wrong. I was removing the positive lead when the end of my socket wrench hit the floorpan, sending sparks flying. Not sure how I didn't get zapped holding on to a metal wrench with electricity flowing through it.
That is more than likely it, you can have a so-so connection and it will light the lights but as soon as you add the starter it kills everything.
You should always remove the negative first, that way if you do touch anything you are just touching a ground, then the positive, then if you touch something it will not matter! read
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2008 7:19 pm

sry bout stealing ur thread but today when i went to go charge my battery, there was moisture on the battery, why is this. also what is the thing that goes across the battery is it a ground im not sure what it is
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2008 8:12 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:
sry bout stealing ur thread but today when i went to go charge my battery, there was moisture on the battery, why is this. also what is the thing that goes across the battery is it a ground im not sure what it is
That is a vent tube, it must be connected AND intact to vent the gasses from the battery out of the car!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2008 8:38 pm

ooo ok i wasn't sure because mine has electrical tape on it
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2008 9:40 pm

99Rivman wrote:

You should always remove the negative first, that way if you do touch anything you are just touching a ground, then the positive, then if you touch something it will not matter! read

Another day, another brush with death . . . thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2008 10:42 pm

try cleaning the battery connections with a mix of water and baking soda. Scrub them with a hard bristle brush.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 am

Good info posted.

No worries about holding onto the wrench shorting to 12v. The biggest danger you were in is being burned. 12v DC isn't enough voltage to "zap" you, but the high current will heat up the tool very fast. I once completed a 12v circuit with my stainless steel Seiko while working on a car. It burned my wrist pretty badly. That was at least 10 years ago... the watch still works, and still has the weld marks where it touched positive terminal and frame.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 1:54 pm

There was a demo on a car battery at my town's tech center last week, where the instructor put a paper clip on the positive terminal, then quickly put one in the negative, and that paper clip glowed red within 10 seconds! But what do you expect from something that has to play music and operate lights and 12V accessories at the same time, time after time? Not to mention, of course, turning over an engine every morning or so.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 8:23 pm

Problem solved. I used an ever-so-slightly thicker bolt today on the negative terminal, and the car fired right up.

I was trying to put this same bolt in last night, in the rain with a bad thunder storm going on, but I couldn't get it because it was sinking too far up in the socket. There wasn't enough bolt sticking out to pass through the eye of the negative cable and bite into the battery threads. I couldn't see what was happening in the dark. If the storm had blown more over in my direction my car might have been destroyed by hail because I couldn't get it into the garage. Can you imagine loosing a car you've put so much time into for such a tiny thing?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 10:11 pm

My Riv has never seen a garage. During the rainy season, I keep a couple of comforters in the trunk when taking long drives. Might save her from the hail. In the city, know where there's a bridge or a gas station. I've had to take cover twice since I've owned her.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

Grounding issue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grounding issue?   Grounding issue? Empty

Back to top Go down

Grounding issue?
Page 1 of 1