Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread

Go down 
+80
96_Juggernaut
h20man
al_roethlisberger
Johnny5
bmcd9179
99Rivman
matt270avian
Sir Psycho Sexy
th3fr4nchi5e
bigblue96
2000ws6transam
Setton
stan
llamalor2112
LT1Squirrel
highwaywarrior
Jamax
pwriv97
c0reyl
LARRY70GS
flyineagle96
Pipes
Bowersk
charlieRobinson
69GSColorado
gmann3001
Ron's Rocket Riv
denim
dboydakid
RidzRiv
jlaw
J. Chris Davis
Hometown Hero
hollywood
sealk
VJD2
BrianEsser
Tank
Abaddon
BMD
crlombardi69
IBx1
Snowdog
L67
esquire23
DEMonte1997
Eldo
#1BearsFan
Rickw
robotennis61
Chicken
albertj
1wickedninja
captshiner
Shintsu
greg_anderson_78
TonySmooth89
dreww
urbsnspices
nothincame2mind
BillBoost37
BKRIV
ewolfe0050
envus87
deekster_caddy
TType_Riviera
palermocorey90
oldsman105
Jack the R
97rivman
1998 Riv
turtleman
ender467
T Riley
SoCal Riv
Jason
Mr.Riviera
AA
84 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 4:12 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Wow, another reason to vote for my cheap-a$$ knock off headers! I never had a problem like this! (although I did have to replace the el-cheapo-flex pipe and boy is it quieter!)

As did I. The guy who welded in the new flex made it a straighter exit. No more "shark tail" hanging down to the street.

I was actually thinking about the ZZP's....now I just might send the brand new cheapies I have in the garage for a good powder coat, then wrap em up.

Last edited by Abaddon on Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 4:16 pm

matt270avian wrote:
To be fair, Charlie is at 160k and is still on the original stock mounts (I'm guessing anyways).

No doubt about that. I am reading some of Codiths old posts and trying to get pricing together now to do all my mounts...

Man. Fix one thing and a half dozen new things pop up. I LOVE IT!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Charlie, if it is in fact that rear trans mount, which is "hollow", a new trans mount will be fine at idle. The second you slam the throttle, the engine is going to tilt and hit the rack if the header is that close to it. I would consider getting solid or filled mounts for the front and rear. I potentially see a long-term issue if your header is touching now.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 4:22 pm

The dude in the buick thread i posted above said new mounts barely gave him the the room he needed to clear the heat shield above the rack. He said he had to crow bar the heat shield to give him the extra assurance he needed.

Can you link me to any threads you are aware of with information on solid/filled mounts? I am in this for the long run so all long term solutions are favorable at any costs.

Thanks, Scott! Ima keep reading and digging until I get this situated!
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 4:49 pm

You could either cast new mounts (expensive and time consuming) or just pick up a tube of 3M WindoWeld and fill either your old mount or a new one. No matter what you pick it's worth doing, you'll notice the new feel and love it.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 5:06 pm

Just got home from work and took a look at mine. It's hard to tell without being able to get under the car, but it looks like I have about 3/4-1" of clearance between the header and the rack.

My rear trans mount is made out of three hockey pucks.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 6:59 pm

So charlie it looks like you have a rigid heat shield on your steering rack which would be another difference between the 99 and 98down equipment. Can you take that shield off?

Also I think I have a new in box rear 99 mount from the dealer. I'll check and take a picture for you
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks, guys. Matt, im def going to get some/fill some mounts.

Tyler, lets take some measurements and compare em and find where the difference(s) are. I am just afraid (no matter how similar we think they are) of the differences between the model years.

Cody, let me what you want for that mount, please. I will check for the heat shield Saturday and see if its something that can be modded. I am hoping that would only be a band aid fix and that the true solution will be found in the mounts. Trans/engine, whatever. The exhaust is really sounding great when I'm rolling and I think firming up the mounts is just going to make it all that much better.

In other news... my LTFT is still lean as hell after resetting trims after header install. I'ma post about this in a different thread tho
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

Name : Daymon
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 9:53 pm

Can anyone enlighten me on what an exhaust leak sounds like? Specifically, the rear exhaust manifold. I can hear a very faint ticking noise at idle and only at idle. It gets drowned out by the sound of the engine when the hoods open and when I'm driving. I can also hear a hissing noise coming from around the back of the engine, but I don't know if that's the manifold or not. No vacuum leaks that I can find too.

I'm hoping this is the cause of my P0171 code that's been haunting me for forever.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 9:56 pm

If it doesnt increase with RPMs then it's not an exhaust leak. Ask me how I know! Can you get a video clip?
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 9:58 pm

If the hissing or ticking noise doesn't increase? I can't hear either one when RPM's increase. When I do a quick rev, it doesn't snap back to normal idle RPM. It kind of takes it a second to get back to normal.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 7:53 am

Does it sometimes go away after the car is warmed up? Mine did that.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 8:09 am

I'm not sure. I haven't really paid attention to it after I've driven long enough for the car to fully warm up. Whenever I do hear it, It's when the car is cold. I'll try to listen to it right after school and when I get home.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Okay, started it up after school and the ticking was there. Drove home and in that time the car was able to get up to operating temperature and the ticking was still there and sounded just like it did with a cold start. I revved VERY lightly because anything above ~1300 RPM and I can't hear it. The ticking got a little more rapid as I increased RPM's.

Back to top Go down
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

Name : Jordon
Merit : 29

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 4:17 pm

SLP Headers FTW!
Back to top Go down
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

Name : Jordon
Merit : 29

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 4:18 pm

But seriously, I'm sorry to see all the problems that you're running into Charlie. That really sucks. I didn't have any of the clearance issues you're facing.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Nah man! problems = solutions = gainz!

ITS ALL GOOD! rock
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Is there anyway to know if this is a cracked manifold or just a leaky gasket? I didn't see any black residue when I was underneath the car on any of the pipes.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 8:01 pm

Rockauto doesn't list a rear exhaust manifold for the Riviera, but they list one for the Grand Prix. Aren't they the same?
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 9:03 pm

Yessir. Or just pursue your dream of having a fast Riv and buy headers! Look on craigslist, there is a guy on your side of the state selling SLPs for cheap.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 9:32 pm

They are NOT the same. The rear manifold has a different outlet angle than the GP one. Fiero guys like our manifolds for L67 swaps because ours lines up with their stock exhaust better.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 9:57 pm

matt270avian wrote:
They are NOT the same. The rear manifold has a different outlet angle than the GP one. Fiero guys like our manifolds for L67 swaps because ours lines up with their stock exhaust better.
Ahh. I was thinking ahead in case the manifold is cracked. Hopefully It's just the gasket.

Now to find someone to do it because I do not feel like doing this.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
Yessir. Or just pursue your dream of having a fast Riv and buy headers! Look on craigslist, there is a guy on your side of the state selling SLPs for cheap.
I wish! Maybe if I didn't have 166K miles already.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Why not message Charlie about his? He just put on headers, so unless the rear manifold magically disappeared he should still have it.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 10:31 pm

matt270avian wrote:
Why not message Charlie about his? He just put on headers, so unless the rear manifold magically disappeared he should still have it.
Good point. I know a stock rear header won't be terribly expensive if I got one, but I'd like to avoid getting a whole new one if It's just the gasket that's bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 36 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread
Page 36 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next