Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Bowers Build Thread

Go down 
+6
turtleman
BMD
deekster_caddy
Abaddon
albertj
Bowersk
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

Name : Bowers
Merit : 7

Bowers Build Thread Empty
PostSubject: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 4:04 pm

Work sucked today so I took off early and took advantage of a melting snow day. Took the oil pan off and got a couple of different surprises...lol, couldn't help but laugh about it. These are exactly the kind of people that should be forced to drive Geo Metros.

Oil: Chocolate sludge anyone?

Sloppy Rod:

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/kellybowers79
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Took the bearing for that rod out and it was definitely spun. Fortunately, the crank is in fairly good shape with just a minor texture to the journal. Since the car has 177k on it, i'll probably still take the crank to the machine shop to have it turned just a bit and replace all the rings at the same time.

Color of the oil and rough idle proves to me that the head gasket is blown which is fine. I'll just replace both head gaskets. Since I'll have the heads off, I'm going to go ahead and do the XP cam and accompanying parts.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Bowersk wrote:
Took the bearing for that rod out and it was definitely spun. Fortunately, the crank is in fairly good shape with just a minor texture to the journal. Since the car has 177k on it, i'll probably still take the crank to the machine shop to have it turned just a bit and replace all the rings at the same time.

Color of the oil and rough idle proves to me that the head gasket is blown which is fine. I'll just replace both head gaskets. Since I'll have the heads off, I'm going to go ahead and do the XP cam and accompanying parts.

just giving you props, that car is going to be a beast when you are done.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 2:00 pm

Man I haven't stopped reading this site for 3 days....i'm tired. $1900 isn't going to be enough money to do what I want to do to this thing.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Again, not to beat the horse some more, but a severly failed LIM gasket will cause exactly what you posted about the "chocolatey" oil. Coolant in the oil......

Yes, replacing all the gaskets is a great idea, but you still haven't answered my "question" about the LIM leaking yet....I NEED TO KNOW DAMMIT!!! bonk
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 2:18 pm

just do the 'need to do' stuff now and bide your time.
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Again, not to beat the horse some more, but a severly failed LIM gasket will cause exactly what you posted about the "chocolatey" oil. Coolant in the oil......

Yes, replacing all the gaskets is a great idea, but you still haven't answered my "question" about the LIM leaking yet....I NEED TO KNOW DAMMIT!!! bonk

lol hold back on that 5 hour energy there man. I think your right. I haven't confirmed yet, but after looking closely and noticing all the black rtv sealent peaking out from beneath the LIM, I am 97% sure the guy I got if from just made his own gasket there.

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 4:21 pm

Bowersk wrote:
lol hold back on that 5 hour energy there man. I think your right. I haven't confirmed yet, but after looking closely and noticing all the black rtv sealent peaking out from beneath the LIM, I am 97% sure the guy I got if from just made his own gasket there.

It's Red Bull, and I've only had 2 today (so far) burnout

A little bit of RTV sticking out at the corners (where the LIM goes from the block to the heads) is ok. You're actually supposed to fill those corners because the LIM set is in 4 pieces. If it's RTV'd down the entire block, then yeah, someone "created" a gasket.
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 4:34 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Bowersk wrote:

It's Red Bull, and I've only had 2 today (so far) burnout

A little bit of RTV sticking out at the corners (where the LIM goes from the block to the heads) is ok. You're actually supposed to fill those corners because the LIM set is in 4 pieces. If it's RTV'd down the entire block, then yeah, someone "created" a gasket.

I've seen a couple of pictures with this done (rtv'ing" the corners) but this is not whats going on here. I did give the a piece sticking out at the corners a tug and it doesn't look like its sticking to anything and there is water behind it so...
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks for checking on the LIM, I can sleep peacefully tonight.... joker

Well that just plain sucks. With all that Oilant (like that?) in the oil pan, an already messed up bearing, and no way to tell how long that engine has been running in that condition, I'd be extremely hesitant to only fix that one bearing.
Coolant and engine internals don't play well together. That coolant will (if not already) eat the bearings and crap 'em back out. IMO, I'd replace/machine the lower end if you're gonna be in there anyway. Or, just take everything apart and inspect before you replace.

Bowers Build Thread Smoke
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 6:13 pm

Yeah that's what I was just sitting here thinking. If I'm going to do it I may as well do it right.

I may just yank this damn thing all the way out, COMPLETELY disassemble it and do it right. I have nothing but time as I work from home and this Isn't my primary driver anyways.
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:41 am

OK I have a couple of questions since the stuff I'm reading is kinda dated.

I can pretty much just drop and L32 in here, and just need to get an adapter to fit the L67 Throttle body right? Then what? Just have to use a tuner to get rid of the torque management crap? L67 Tranny bolt right up to it?

What about if I were to get this:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/2157388884.html

What are the major differences between the 96 and 99 engine? Just need the ecu and wiring harness or what?
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am

Nevermind, going on 4 days of reading and stuff is starting to "fall off the table".

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t3461-faq-what-are-differences-between-96-and-97-99-sc-rivs#41466
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:12 pm

If anyone is still around here. Take a look at this and tell me what you think. Prices for everything are coming from ZZ Performance as every other site seems to be around the same prices.

What pulley size you think I could run:

Rod Bearing set / LIM / SC Gasket / LIM o rings $128.00
180 Degree Thermostat $15.00
104 Autolite plugs $12.00
Cold Air Intake 0
Autotap Scanner $150.00
Supercharger Pulley Puller $109.99
Ssautochrome Headers $350.00
HP Tuners License for this car $100.00
3.x modular Pulley system $100.00
Xp cam, springs, retainers, DR TC $665.00
Valve Locks $25.00
Oe-r 875 lifters $170.00
Cam Install Kit $120.00
Machined Oil Pump cover $55.00
Front cover gasket $9.00
ZZP custom pushrods $116.00
Oil & Filter
Transmission Fluid & Filter
Antifreeze

Total $2,124.99
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:13 pm

Also, do you think that will be too much for the current Tranny? The guy I got it from says it was rebuilt about 80K ago.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 11:49 pm

If you are seriously considering that kind of build, yes you will need tranny work. Also please add the year of your car at minimum to your signature (and enable it in your user preferences). It's important to know for decisions like this.

Also, you will want to skip the autotap scanner if you have an HP Tuners. It's got a good scanner in it too (although autotap is a better scanner...)
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 11:56 pm

Buddy of mine has hp tuners, Im getting the scanner so I can actively scan and learn what the hell he is changing. Currently looking for dhp to have for myself.

Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Bowers Build Thread IMAG0061

yay
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 2:30 pm

still waiting on:

EGR Block off
AutoLite 104 plugs (6)
180 Thermostat
Water pump gasket
Oil pump inlet tube gasket
Oil filter extension gasket
6 injector O-rings
Upper coolant elbow
Lower coolant elbow
Head Bolts
2 SS Band Clamps 2-1/4"
2 SS Band Clamps 3"
SSAC Headers w 3.5" dp
O2 extension cable for the rear O2
3.25" Press on Pulley (Modular System)
NorthStar TB (75mm) with LQ4 MAF
SC pulley Remover
Supercharger Belt (5060695) 69.5"

Should be here soon depending on how much the machine shop ends up charging me.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 3:06 pm

there is probly noplace else to build this much fun for ~3 grand-ish.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Ahhhhh the single days! sad Way to go Bowers, can't wait to see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

BMD wrote:
Ahhhhh the single days! sad Way to go Bowers, can't wait to see how it goes.

Yeah I miss those days. Married with 3 kids here. Only way I get to play with stuff like this is by selling off other toys. Sold a 93 chevy 4x4 that I semi-restored to fund the riv build.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Cheers man! cheers
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:43 am

(This post was moved from another thread so it is kinda out of context here. I was assisting with another users questions about another 96 build)

I am currently in the same process on my 96 so I'll add my own special observations to the above if that's ok.

DHP Powrtuner. - (Clubgp has a couple for sell now - this is a necessity for tuning - Usually around $300 but your not going to get low to mid 13's without one)

built trans- 4t60's are harder to come by. (I'm spending today researching how to swap the 4t65. As of right now I think you need the trans and pcm from of of the newer rivs and then need to rework the vac ports since the 60 is vaccum controlled and the 65 is electronically controlled)

gen V with 3.2 pulley (M90 swaps take a little bit of ingenuity on the 96's) (I've decided that this isn't really worth it for me unless I put the money into intercooling. You'll gain 20+ hp, but you cant find one for under $500 anywhere. IMO $500 for 20hp is not a worthwhile investment unless your going all out trying to squeeze every bit of power out of the 3800)

VS cam w/105lb springs (This is what I went with because it works with stock heads. Would have went with the slightly more aggressive XP cam if I would have known I was upgrading my entire valve train as well at the time of purchase. Have to have the valve seats cut down a little bit or get the modded valve spring retainers to account for the higher lift or else you'll beat the hell out of your valve seals and leak oil)

headers (I went with SS autochrome headers. They come with 3" down pipe. I am also wrapping mine to keep under hood temps down)

stage 3 I/C (I'm currently debating whether or not I'm going to IC. 40-50 hp for $1000? I think I'll wait and see what I get out of the motor with what I'm going with. If I want more, then I'll go there)

you will also need a bunch of little supporting mods to make that list workable.

In addition I am doing the following supporting mods.
-Northstar throttle body Conversion
-Gutted stock air box (current working on a fiberglass enclosure to pull cold air from below, fender side, and headlight side)
-K&N Air Filter
-Ported sc case inlet to 75mm opening and polished inlet.
-mild cleanup/smoothing of lower intake manifold. Gasket matched and smoothed intake runners.
-Gasket matched Intake ports on heads.
-Polished combustion chamber on heads.
-Comp Cams lifters and push rods (For higher RPM safety)
-EGR delete to keep the supercharger clean. You can also keep the EGR valve, just get the exhaust side block off and allow the EGR to only bring in clean air.
-Cat Delete
-ZZP Modular Pulley system with a 3.25 pulley.
-I decided to replace the timing chain and tensioner because of the stiffer 105# valve springs.
-69.5" Supercharger belt. You can also go with 3.5" tensioner pulley and use stock belt.
-.052 Cometic head gaskets. Thinner so compression is raised just a tad.

I got most of my stuff from zzperformance just to keep everything together. Intense and Wbody store are cheaper on a couple of things, but after shipping and everything else is said and done, I saved money getting everything from one place.

I completely rebuilt a motor out of a GTP and I'm SUPPOSED to be getting everything back from them either today or tomorrow. Going to start the build and hopefully have it done by next weekend so I can get it in. (Motor out of the riv will probably get rebuilt too and end up in a fiero or something)

The thing I think is going to pose a problem is the actual tuning. I've been learning how to use the DHP tuner, but I don't really know what all to change for my mods. Still trying to find someone who already has a bin I can start with.

I'm only shooting for mid 13's. If I get the itch to go faster, then it will be Gen V and IC. Of course, have to have that transmission upgraded before that happens.

Last edited by Bowersk on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

PostSubject: temp   Bowers Build Thread EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:45 am

I also went ahead and bought an Autotap scanner off of Ebay. I got lucky and got mine for under $50. Also came with the expanded parameters needed to scan for Knock Retard. The basic parameters with autotap do not include KR, but if you find one with just basic parameters its only something like $90 to upgrade. (AFAIK)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bowers Build Thread   Bowers Build Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Bowers Build Thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next