Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets

Go down 
+45
Mikel
KnottyEagle
rodrivi
joshuadalegrimes
Johnny5
96rivie
th3fr4nchi5e
al_roethlisberger
highwaywarrior
SC_Sailboat
denim
Z-type
3.8 Riviera
VegasScott
DEMonte1997
96rivi
manofmany
BMD
97 park ave
madrivage
Abaddon
BrianEsser
robotennis61
rivman96
Eldo
Rickw
keller
Ash
deekster_caddy
98riv
AA
riviera2454
IBx1
ewolfe0050
TonySmooth89
dreww
albertj
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
BillBoost37
1998 Riv
jax95riv
Jason
49 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 6:15 pm

at 120000 km (75000 mi) I changed the LIM gaskets on my girlfriend's 1998 regal gs. They were already breaking down. I've seen worse cases on the other L67 forums, but these were weeping coolant into the oil (never a good thing). The oil which I had put in in November had enough coolant in it to make it milky white if you stirred it up.

In case you didn't know, the stock gm LIM gasket on our car is made of plastic and breaks down over time. A new revised aluminium gasket is available from GM and some vendors (I got mine from W-body store).

If your car has significant mileage and you know they have never been done, please take a weekend to do this project. It could take you just an afternoon, but I'm fairly slow. It will be well worth it if it saves your bearings.

I used this write-up from clubGP to guide me both while doing my ported supercharger casing and while changing the LIM gaskets on the Regal. I had already upgraded to the aluminum gasket when doing the VS cam on the riviera.

Basically the only thing I did differently (except for the dogbones, which we don't have) is that I did not separate the fuel lines. Rather, I left them connected and unpoped the injectors instead. This gave me enough room to take the SC casing out.

what you will need:
revised aluminium LIM gasket: gm p/n 89017825
supercharger gasket: gm p/n 24503911
yellow coolant o-rings (2): gm p/n 24501563

You don't need to remove the throttle body, but if you do, don't forget the gasket. The TB gasket is available at regular parts stores (through the fel-pro or victor reinz brands). If you DO remove the TB, please don't be an idiot like me. I forgot the passages on the TB have coolant flowing in them. When I took them off the leaked slightly onto the intake. not much, but enough to warrant giving it a once over with the shop vac and a supplementary oil change for good measure (which I recommend you do after the LIM gastkets anyway).
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 6:20 pm

Thanks Jason, I assume the gasket numbers will be different for a series I. Good info, I never would have thought to do that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks for the info Jason, I'll have to make a point of picking up those parts at my dealer. Don't know when I'll do this, but at least I'll be ready on short notice. Pretty certain my LIM gasket is original.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 7:40 am

From what I've heard, there isn't a revised gasket for Series 1. Almost like they decided it's not supported.

I've seen the nylon based gaskets start to bow (my own car) after 20K miles. Dex isn't necessarily the culprit either. I was using Prestone LL and have seen others using the AnyColor.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 9:27 am

if i change mine i'll need to get some porting done to the Supercharger
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 9:54 am

agree i'll be doing mine when i swap in a P&P casing
and LIM...or gen V if i can get one cheap enough wink

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 10:23 am

TB gasket is P/N 24503648, should be no more then $10 from dealer and no more than $5 or $6 from a real parts store.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 2:06 am

Mr.Riviera wrote:
agree i'll be doing mine when i swap in a P&P casing
and LIM...or gen V if i can get one cheap enough wink

lucky us, we get to buy a whole new core. sick
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 8:00 am

dreww wrote:
lucky us, we get to buy a whole new core. sick

Why.. why not just port what you have?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 11:19 am

b/c the vendors dont accept 96 cores, even though i dont think ours is any different from 97+ GTP cores, but maybe i'm wrong?

Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 10:32 pm

Yeah i dont think it is any different than the other ones..a gen 3 m90 is a gen 3 m90. I think it just might not be an option since i think we were the only car to get the series II s/c in 1996. the rest got them in 1997
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 10:28 am

Got my '97 M90 and TB in the "for sale" section. Make me an offer..
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 9:26 am

Sorry..I meant why buy when a little dremel time can save you hundreds.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 6:27 am

from: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/mostly-good-oil-report-analysis-t2572.htm?highlight=oil+report

Jason wrote:
have you replaced the lower intake manifold (LIM) gasket ?
the one on my GF's regal was BADLY deteriorated and weeping at only 74000 miles.

My '95 didn't even have a gasket on the air intake...I'm glad K&N's filter came with one.

Wait, are you talking about an oil filter? Never mind then.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 8:24 am

My strong suggestion when doing lower gaskets is the aluminum framed ones.

They are the latest GM change on the 3800 and appear to possibly solve the deterioration issue.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 8:51 am

Yeah, I've got the info somewhere for the aluminum type. Plan to pick up this spring, maybe I can squeeze it in sometime this summer. I was happy to see average or lower metals levels. The sodium and potassium levels can be affected by additives in some oils, but I haven't been able to find any info on RP's formulation so far. Given the coolant leakage history with these engines, it's probably safer to just assume the gasket is deteriorating.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 11:37 am

IBx1 wrote:

My '95 didn't even have a gasket on the air intake...I'm glad K&N's filter came with one.

Wait, are you talking about an oil filter? Never mind then.

The lower intake manifold gasket is not on the air intake or the oil filter.

It's on the lower intake manifold

Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets Intake_removal
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 11:41 am

Ooh...that intake gasket...

Definitely go aluminum. Leave nothing organic to decompose and fail over time.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 12:43 pm

Organic? they aren't made from manure...they just seem like it. joker
Back to top Go down
riviera2454
Enthusiast
riviera2454

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 9:03 pm

I know this is a old post but I am planning on doing this to my riv. I do not think it has every been done before. Is there anything else I should check or other parts I should replace? I am going to keep the car stock engine wise. I want to make sure that while all of this stuff is off I get everything done that should be. I have heard some people say they replace the whole lower intake as well would this be a wise idea? If so where should I get it from.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:13 pm

no reason to replace the LIM unless you port & polish it. Might as well do the same to the blower since you'll have it off. I plan to do the gasket sometime this year. You'll know if the gasket is leaking if your plugs have deposits. Oil analysis will confirm coolant in the oil.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 11:12 pm

Hmmm... is there a way to tell, wothout disassembly, whether the LIM's been upgraded or not?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 8:50 am

albertj wrote:
Hmmm... is there a way to tell, wothout disassembly, whether the LIM's been upgraded or not?

Albertj

You can tell if you look down between the intake manifold and the heads, You should see a silver color on the edge of the gasket if it has been upgraded.

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 8:51 am

riviera2454 wrote:
I know this is a old post but I am planning on doing this to my riv. I do not think it has every been done before. Is there anything else I should check or other parts I should replace? I am going to keep the car stock engine wise. I want to make sure that while all of this stuff is off I get everything done that should be. I have heard some people say they replace the whole lower intake as well would this be a wise idea? If so where should I get it from.

I used this thread to help me replace the gasket. http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3764153&p=2&tmode=1&smode=1.

Here is my thread that I made when I was replacing the gasket https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/need-a-lot-of-part-numbers-finished-t2976.htm. I replaced some other things while I was in there, but you should be able to see what you would need.

EDIT: Here is the new link https://rivperformance.editboard.com/parts-wanted-f23/part-number-listing-t45.htm#34085

Last edited by 98riv on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 1:02 am

just have extra vacuum hoses, cause you will surely break a ton of them if you haven't replaced them all yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets   Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets
Page 1 of 13Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next