Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?

Go down 
+14
charlieRobinson
al_roethlisberger
JR3800
ironclyde
LaFlare
Rickw
Eldo
albertj
texasfan010
DEMonte1997
IBx1
1998 Riv
98riv
ibmoses
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? Empty
PostSubject: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 12:30 pm

The driver side cornering lamp on the 99 Riv. is blown and needs replaced.
Do I remove the headlight to replace the cornering light bulb?
Any links to some tips or info?
Thanks
Bert
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 1:02 pm

This is from the website in my sig http://rivfaq.bravehost.com/corner_lights.htm.

Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: thank you   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 3:26 pm

98riv wrote:
This is from the website in my sig http://rivfaq.bravehost.com/corner_lights.htm.

Preciate it.
Bert smile
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 11:43 pm

Be careful pushing down on the bumper cover to squeeze tools in to get at the screws. I pulled one of my cornering lamp housings last year to see how it came out. Not hard, but be careful, don't rush it. Later I bought a new set of housings also, from gmpartsdirect.com. They look fantastic, not sure I want to put them on anytime soon though. Might just save them for a little freshening up in a few years.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptySat Feb 16, 2008 7:12 pm

98riv wrote:

Thanks to your instructions it went smoothly

Replaced both bulbs and cleaned/polished both lenses.
Actually the "Happy Wife" cleaned and polished the lenses.

Used a small mechanics magnet to keep from losing the bolt during removal.
Replaced the bolts with Phillips head screws and used dental floss tied around the heads to keep from losing them during installation

Also sprayed the retaining clips and the holes where they snap into the fenders with WD40, they were tough to get out. Thought one was going to break...

Thanks again.
Bert
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptySun Feb 17, 2008 9:06 pm

ibmoses wrote:
98riv wrote:

Thanks to your instructions it went smoothly

Replaced both bulbs and cleaned/polished both lenses.
Actually the "Happy Wife" cleaned and polished the lenses.

Used a small mechanics magnet to keep from losing the bolt during removal.
Replaced the bolts with Phillips head screws and used dental floss tied around the heads to keep from losing them during installation

Also sprayed the retaining clips and the holes where they snap into the fenders with WD40, they were tough to get out. Thought one was going to break...

Thanks again.
Bert

Just to clarify, Jack the R originally wrote the instructions. I just put them on the website. I updated the website.

My corner lamps are getting pretty bad, so I will have to clean them when the weather gets a little better.

Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 7:47 pm

Is it possible to replace the bulb without taking the entire housing apart? My driver's side cornering lamp blew sometime today...
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 7:58 pm

You have to take the lamp out to get to the bulb. But the lamp is really easy to get out. One bolt underneath. Take Bert's advice and use a mechanic's magnet to make sure you don't lose that bolt. Then there's a clip between the corner lamp and headlight. Use a flathead to pop it loose.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Damn, I was hoping you wouldn't say that... poop
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 8:47 pm

No worries, it's very easy to pull the lamp assy out.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 10:03 pm

Anyone remember what size socket it is so I don't have to do trial and error?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 10:08 pm

No, but it's easy to slip a socket in there to find out.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 10:26 pm

7mm!!
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 12:43 pm

I decided to replace both of them, and you know what, it wasn't that bad! I put a piece of felt between the socket wrench and the bumper so that it didn't scrape off the paint as I turned it, I strongly advise anyone else to do the same. I even took the time to use the magic eraser and clean that little lip on the inside of the cornering lamp lens. Doesn't look good as new, but much cleaner than before.

Here's the setup I used:

Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? 102_2248

It's something you'd expect Chicken to come up with, using a pair of toy neodymium magnets latched onto the shaft of the socket wrench, and it worked very well...the first time.

See, here's the problem. The first bolt on the driver's side stuck right to the magnetized socket and came out without a problem. When I went to do the passenger side bulb, which still worked fine, the bolt was being very difficult and didn't want to come out at all. So I stiffened up an envelope, stuck it under the loose bolt, and tried to take it out with that and a flathead screwdriver. Well, the bolt really doesn't like me, so it found a way to fall off deep into the bumper. I took the wheel well molding off, looked all over, magnet-probed all over inside, but couldn't find it.

What's the size of the bolt that I need now?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 2:14 pm

I lost one last year, replaced it with a self-tapping screw. Don't recall the size but it was close to the same and worked perfectly.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Did you tap on the bumper directly underneath where the bolt fell? You should hear it jingling around in there. If you can get the bolt to fall towards the middle, you can loosen the air dam (3 clips with pins in them) and that piece will fold down so the bolt will roll right out.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 5:50 pm

I replaced them both with regular screws, using Bert's dental floss trick, and when one of the replacement screws fell in(floss slipped out of my hand), hitting the bumper a bit got it to tumble right out the corner where it fell down. Still can't find the original though, it's probably on the road or stuck in some poor guy's tire by now.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

Merit : 1

PostSubject: cornering light   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Hey i have cool blue headlight bulbs, but my cornering lights are still the yellow-ish color, i want o replace them with white or blur bulbs. What type of bulb does the cornering light take, and is it hard to replace? Thanks for your help
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyTue May 05, 2009 11:27 pm

bulbs are listed in the little owner's manual

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyThu May 14, 2009 6:28 pm

IBx1 wrote:
Anyone remember what size socket it is so I don't have to do trial and error?

I'm changing my lenses today, and found that a 9/32" fits tighter than a 7mm... Along with trying to magnetize the socket, I also put a layer of masking tape inside to give it a tighter grip on the screw when removing.

Once the screw is removed there are two spring clips to release, a lateral one in front and a longitudinal one at the very rear... Here's a photo:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2468/3549625130_beda18e606.jpg?v=0
FIRST gently pull the front of the lens outward, toward the side of the car, THEN pull the lens straight forward to disengage from the rear clip. Also, be gentle with the socket gasket, it likes to stick to the lens.

Ibmoses's dental floss idea when replacing the screws is ingenious!

? Anyone know of a brighter bulb to replace these 3057's with?

Last edited by Eldo on Fri May 22, 2009 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyThu May 14, 2009 7:34 pm

I put a little WD-40 on the clips so it snapped back together easily.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyThu May 14, 2009 8:19 pm

Eldo wrote:
Anyone know of a brighter bulb to replace these 3057's with?

LEDLight.com has a 3157 (p/n 44634) that is a direct replacement for the 3057 with 19 LED's and (p/n 84563) with 27 LED's that are not only brighter but have lower heat generation, shock and vibration proof. They claim virtually unbreakable. (others with 32 and 36 LED's)

They have a large catalog of 12v lights. Check them out.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyThu May 14, 2009 9:40 pm

Rickw wrote:
Eldo wrote:
Anyone know of a brighter bulb to replace these 3057's with?

LEDLight.com has a 3157 (p/n 44634) that is a direct replacement for the 3057 with 19 LED's and (p/n 84563) with 27 LED's that are not only brighter but have lower heat generation, shock and vibration proof. They claim virtually unbreakable. (others with 32 and 36 LED's)

They have a large catalog of 12v lights. Check them out.

Thanks for another tip, Rick
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? EmptyFri May 22, 2009 1:25 am

For those who don't want to spend the $$ for LED's, or just don't want to wait for shipping, I found that the standard 3357 bulb replaces the 3057 with 25% more candlepower (40 vs 32...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?   Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement? Empty

Back to top Go down

Front Cornering Lamp Bulb Replacement?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next