Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Cleaning throttle body question

Go down 
+19
robotennis61
ejeraser
Derek
themanwithsauce
Abaddon
Eldo
RidzRiv
Rickw
oldsman105
deekster_caddy
alkemist
pwmin
Mr.Riviera
urbsnspices
NO 4 EVR
AA
T Riley
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
maggot

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Throttle body cleaning   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Hey guys, what is the best way to clean the throttle body on my s/c series 1. I know u cant use the cleaner because the stuff will hurt the s/c. I just took the TB off the car and it its horrible gunked in the tb and in the inlett of the s/c. The butterfly valve is covered in it and it is sticking real bad, and takes quite a bit of force to break it loose. Whats the best way to get this stuff off. The hard part looks to be inside the s/c inlet.
thanks guys!
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 3:42 pm

If the TB is off the car, I find an old toothbrush and some of the canned TB cleaner does wonders.

Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 3:59 pm

If you have the TB out of the car, I'd REMOVE ALL SENSORS, then spray it with BP blaster and let it soak for a few minutes. Then use a plastic brush (or hard toothbrush) and some brake cleaner to make it sparkle like new. Make sure none of that stuff gets near the MAF sensor though.
Back to top Go down
maggot

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Wow thanks for the help!!!! Ok ive cleaned the MAF with is specific cleaner and ive cleaned the TB. Damn now i have to wait for a gasket, nobody has one! Anybody clean inside the S/C inlet or is it best to just leave it alone?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 4:43 pm

I would clean as much area of the intake that you can reach with a lint free cloth or some of those red or blue disposable shop towels.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 4:45 pm

You should be able to wipe the inlet out with some kind of solvent - brake cleaner or PB blaster on a rag, but don't spray directly in there. If you shoot chunks deeper in you can scratch up the rotor seals.
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Can't remove throttle body   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 5:47 pm

I just bought some throttle body cleaner and a new gasket, but i cant figure how to take the throttle body off ha. I could get the front two bolts, but the last one i couldn't get at because of the black shield that hangs over the throttle body. I would take it off, but it is also connected using that last bolt that i cant get to. How have any of you guys done this?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm not a TB expert, but I can tell you that you'll probably get good information if you go
into your Profile and fill out your Signature with your year & model, so folks know the specific application...
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:33 pm

anybody know what i'm talking about?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:49 pm

RidzRiv wrote:
I just bought some throttle body cleaner and a new gasket, but i cant figure how to take the throttle body off ha. I could get the front two bolts, but the last one i couldn't get at because of the black shield that hangs over the throttle body. I would take it off, but it is also connected using that last bolt that i cant get to. How have any of you guys done this?

you need to remove that bracket to get to the bolt that's behind it.
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks, but how do i take that bracket off? like where is it connected? I must be missing something because this seems like it should be fairly simple.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Run your finger along that bracket and follow it. It comes to an end somewhere.......you don't have to totally remove it, you just have to loosen the lower bolt in order to "swing" it out of the way. I think it's connected to the LIM......
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 5:04 pm

okay thanks a bunch, just trying to clean the throttle body and i want to change the fuel filter soon.
Back to top Go down
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

Merit : 8

PostSubject: THrottle body removal issues   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 9:19 pm

Okay, so I have successfully removed 2/3 of the throttle body nuts that attach it to the rest of the engine. However, the last nut has given me nothing but a massive headache. I finally get a deep 13mm socket to actually access it and now it won;t turn. I'm giving it so much force I'm afraid of either my ratchet or engine mounts breaking first.....I've hit it with osme penetrating oil but it hasn't worked so far....Is there something I'm missing here? It is the nut that also holds the black metal bracket on.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 7:32 am

Its been a few weeks since I pulled the tb off the car but if I remember correctly that stud came out with the nut attached. The hardest part was getting the black bracket out of the way to get to the nut. Might want to try getting the stud out like I did. In my case I didn't use any wd-40 (actually I didn't need one drop of the stuff for some weird reason) but the stud was pretty tight. Maybe try a little bigger socket wrench for added leverage. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
ejeraser
Rookie

Name : Eric

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Did you ever get that throttle body fixed. Was your car idling funy . My car is idling funny and some have told me to try cleaning the throttle body. Where did you get the gasket? I will be in need of one. I also will need a coupler and pully or bearings for my super charge. do yo uknow where I can get those as well. IN need of a repair shop book to . any spot I maybe able to find for a cheap price
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 10:22 pm

you can find all the gaskets u need at autozone and others. you have to buy a Riv service manual for your car. you cant maintain your riv without one.Having one doesnt preclude knowing how to use it.I'm a prime example of that.but it will point u in the right direction.
pulling the throttle body is easy.
1} remove the air intake.
2)remove bolts throttle body to manifold
3) scrape old gasket.

on the 95,there is a long bracket that goes from the throttle cable plate to the throttle body.its underneath the TB. remove that. and done. 13 mm socket will bail u out of all kinds of trouble on these cars.a long one.
Back to top Go down
ejeraser
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:16 am

I saw this manual for sale do you think its a good shop manual? Factory print HELM Service MANUAL SET
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 12:15 pm

yup
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 12:25 pm

ejeraser wrote:
Did you ever get that throttle body fixed. Was your car idling funy . My car is idling funny and some have told me to try cleaning the throttle body. Where did you get the gasket? I will be in need of one. I also will need a coupler and pully or bearings for my super charge. do yo uknow where I can get those as well. IN need of a repair shop book to . any spot I maybe able to find for a cheap price

coupler and bearings for sc:

darossillc.com

that's where I got mine.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ejeraser
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:02 pm

cool thanks I orderd the other day. anyone know good place to order intake gasket, valve covers steel, and valve cover gasket, and a supercharge outlet gasket. Im getting a service engine code P0171 and dealer states is known for the outlet gasket having a vacum leak.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 pm

ejeraser wrote:
cool thanks I orderd the other day. anyone know good place to order intake gasket, valve covers steel, and valve cover gasket, and a supercharge outlet gasket. Im getting a service engine code P0171 and dealer states is known for the outlet gasket having a vacum leak.

monsterpartsonline.com if you want OE gaskets, which I would recommend for this job.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Question: when reinstalling the TB, should any RTV be used on the new gasket? It looks like none is required. Anyone have thoughts?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:32 pm

The 95 doesnt specify any.dont know about the S2 ?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Thx. I assembled it without using any. Just want to get a 2nd opinion before I drop the engine in the car.

PS - I didn't use any on the supercharger, either. THAT ONE ISN'T COMING BACK OUT!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning throttle body question   Cleaning throttle body question - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cleaning throttle body question
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next