Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: HVAC Assembly

Go down 
+33
Jack the R
TampaRivGuy
71stagegs
EyeDoc1
kelliestime2
1997riv
VJD2
atteboy1
Tajis
charlieRobinson
Ridin-Rivi
stan
LARRY70GS
98riv
rk0ehn
AA
VegasScott
turtleman
Jason
moldymac
Abaddon
Eldo
T Riley
96RIVMANN
superivicharg
Rickw
98RIV7777
albertj
captshiner
deekster_caddy
99Rivman
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

Name : Scott
Merit : 8

Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Yeah, I saw that too. :smile

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
http://www.german-pride.com
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Terminal Dropped... Everything back to normal. wink

VegasScott

Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 2011-11-27163059
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:43 pm

amazing....

Last edited by stan on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 12:47 pm

what does Terminal Dropped mean?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 2:06 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
what does Terminal Dropped mean?

I'm thinking battery terminal. let's see if I'm right lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 3:07 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:

I'm thinking battery terminal. let's see if I'm right lol

Ding! Ding! Ding! WE HAVE A WINNER! lol

My posts from my phone are always a pain in the butt, so I type as little as possible when using it. wink

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
Ridin-Rivi
Enthusiast
Ridin-Rivi

Name : Darrin
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 1:06 pm

99Rivman wrote:
Thought I’d put this out there just in case anyone else is having problems with their HVAC.
The first picture is of the driver’s side of the HVAC Module Assembly and the actuators that attach to that side, there are two more on the passenger side. The three on the driver’s side are the same part number and the two on the passenger side are the same also but they will not interchange from left to right. If you have problems with the air mix to either the A/C or Defrost or Heater these actuators are more than likely your problem.
The actuator has a 5 volt motor in it that turns gears that open and close the air mix doors. I had one that had gotten stuck on my first Silver Arrow and was able to free it up and it has been fine ever since. I was having problems on the new Silver Arrow, air wouldn’t go to the heater vents, and that was what I was looking into. After removing the left sound insulator I found out why! Some idiot had removed the #3 actuator in the picture and the air vent! Luckily they are the same for all years of the Riv so I was able to replace both parts with parts from my spare ’95.

Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 _99_sa18
The actuators are listed as follows:
1 Defrost Actuator
2 Mode Actuator
3 Air Mix Actuator

Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 _99_sa19
This is the vent part that someone had removed!

Hope someone finds this helpful.

I having the problem where only hot air is blowing out of the drivers side, middle vents & rear vents but I cant seem to get the #3 actuator out? Do I have to remove my cencer console? Any advice or assistance world be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 2:55 am

Add a can of freon. Trust me, it will take care of your problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1867p135-faq-warm-hot-air-on-drivers-side-cold-on-passenger-side
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 8:33 am

96RIVMANN wrote:
Add a can of freon. Trust me, it will take care of your problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1867p135-faq-warm-hot-air-on-drivers-side-cold-on-passenger-side

this may be the case (very likely from what I've seen here), but whatever you do please do NOT blindly just add a can of freon. You must at minimum check low pressure, and if you really want to know what is happening high pressure too, before and after you add freon. Do lots of people add freon without checking? Yes. But there are more things going on than just low pressure in your A/C system, and making sure both high and low pressures are within spec is an important step. If the low side is below spec and adding a can fixes all your problems you are lucky. Have someone put gauges on both sides after you are finished just to make sure everything is okay. I bought a cheap (but nice) set of gauges at Advance Auto Parts for $80.
Back to top Go down
Ridin-Rivi
Enthusiast
Ridin-Rivi

Name : Darrin
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:01 am

96RIVMANN wrote:

Thanks for the reply.. I did add some refrigerant but I am at the highest pressure via the gauge on the can. What pressure is our car supposed to be at? I can hear the compressor kick on but it didn't fix my issue.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 6:24 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
96RIVMANN wrote:

this may be the case (very likely from what I've seen here), but whatever you do please do NOT blindly just add a can of freon. You must at minimum check low pressure, and if you really want to know what is happening high pressure too, before and after you add freon. Do lots of people add freon without checking? Yes. But there are more things going on than just low pressure in your A/C system, and making sure both high and low pressures are within spec is an important step. If the low side is below spec and adding a can fixes all your problems you are lucky. Have someone put gauges on both sides after you are finished just to make sure everything is okay. I bought a cheap (but nice) set of gauges at Advance Auto Parts for $80.
agree
You do need to check the pressures, putting in too much can cause problems too.
Another way to check the system is to set it at the lowest temp setting and listen/watch the compressor. What this does is override the temp readings and tell the system to run at max, if the compressor cycles that also tells you the Freon is low.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Anyone have a write up for glovebox removal to reach this HVAC component?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 10:27 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
Anyone have a write up for glovebox removal to reach this HVAC component?

Glove-box comes out pretty easy, set of screws under the hinge. I know this sounds, well, terse but all you do is empty the box then unscrew the box at the hinge. If you look you'll see them. Take your time, no worries.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 3:21 pm

sorry, didnt mean removing the glovebox. I meant, how do you get the HVAC out of the glovebox area? Seems like you have to take more than the door of the box off to get back in that left corner.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:59 pm

I was looking at gmpartsdirect.com and was looking at the parts diagram for the hvac and it lists a filter for the hvac system. Part number 6 is the filter and part 7 is the filter retainer. http://www.trademotion.com/parts/1998/BUICK/RIVIERA/?siteid=214858&vehicleid=1303322&diagram=AD95066 I always heard that we didn't have an HVAC filter on our system. Is that a different filter than what I am thinking of?

Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:28 pm

I think whoever said that meant there is no SERVICEABLE filter, or cabin air filter. That looks like some kind of permanent filter, not sure of its purpose.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Tajis
Amateur

Name : Tajis
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 4:25 pm

Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 _99_sa19

This thing is my problem. I've tried every which way to remove it short of taking the dash apart. How does it come loose? I need to get to the actuator directly above it but can't work with it in the way.

I feel like an idiot for asking, but what am I doing wrong? LOL
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:50 pm

I am tackling #2 actuator on the drivers side. Is it possible to take it off from underneath? only taking the 3 screw plastic plate to get to it? Or must more of the dash come off?

If #2 doesn't look suspicious I will check #3. I am getting hot air on drivers side, middle, and rear.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Got the 2 button plug breakpedal harness things off. A quick 180 turn and pull. looks like I have almost enough room to get to the actuator now. Im with Tajis at this point. It would be a lot easier to work if I could get that duct elbow out of the way. Any protips from someone with experience on this part of the car?

I think those 2 buttons that are mounted to the brake pedal are for ABS and traction, maybe?

Back to top Go down
Tajis
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 pm

I've 'somewhat' managed to get to the bolts that mount the actuators on. I had to use a very small quarter inch ratchet and still haven't managed to get to all the bolts.
Back to top Go down
Tajis
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 3:32 pm

I may have made more progress. Apparently a tool called a "Thumbwheel ratchet" or a "Finger ratchet" will make this job a whole lot easier. It's basically a round ratchet head without a handle that fits in over the screw and gives a thumb grip to twist the screw by hand.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 pm

Tajis wrote:
I may have made more progress. Apparently a tool called a "Thumbwheel ratchet" or a "Finger ratchet" will make this job a whole lot easier. It's basically a round ratchet head without a handle that fits in over the screw and gives a thumb grip to twist the screw by hand.

Tajis, any luck so far?
Back to top Go down
Tajis
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 6:20 pm

The thumb wheel ratchet does make a big difference in removing the screws. I was able to get the middle actuator free without incident, but I'm having trouble with the one closest to the driver. "Number 3"

I can 100% confirm that the original diagram is backward. The middle actuator controls the heat/cold mix on the driver's side. Number 3 will be the one that controls the vents. Using the thumbwheel ratchet I was able to remove number 2 from the bottom, so it is possible.

For number 3, I believe you'll need a screwdriver with extension and quarter inch bit to reach the recessed socket. Still in the process of trying to figure that one out.
Back to top Go down
Tajis
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Success! I now have air coming through my middle vents!

For the number 2 motor, get a thumbwheel ratchet and feel for the bolts. Attach the ratchet and twist the bolts off. Keep in mind you're basically doing this blind due to the vent being in the way. This is the motor that mixes hot and cold for the driver's side.

Number 3... That's the one that is a PITA to remove. The bolt furthest away from the driver's seat on the number 3 motor is easy to remove. The thumbwheel ratchet will fit right on and have it off in no time. The one closest to the driver's seat is hard to remove. Remove the hard to reach bolt first, since if you don't the whole actuator will be wobbling and trying to get in the way.

I ended up getting a six inch long, quarter inch wobble socket extension. You cannot do this without a wobble socket. This let me flex the 7/32 connector down onto the bolt (with several tries). You will have to run the extension through the open middle of the nearby support arm thing. The socket will not get an easy grip, but it WILL come loose with enough persistence. I ended up holding part of the extension down so that the socket remained angled correctly.

Also, if you have a helper it helps if they hold a flashlight toward the main set of vents over the shift stick. It's the easiest way to get a light on where you're aiming.

Once this is off you'll be able to either replace the part or otherwise manually route the air back up to the vents!

I hope this helps someone not have to go through the trial and error process like I did.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 8:24 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
Got the 2 button plug breakpedal harness things off. A quick 180 turn and pull. looks like I have almost enough room to get to the actuator now. Im with Tajis at this point. It would be a lot easier to work if I could get that duct elbow out of the way. Any protips from someone with experience on this part of the car?

I think those 2 buttons that are mounted to the brake pedal are for ABS and traction, maybe?

buttons on the brake pedal - top one (usually blue) is cruise control, bottom one is brake lights and a signal line to the electronic brake control or some such - it's in the factory manual.

By the way you might want to remove those buttons (the holders are keyed, remove the plugs then twist them and remove0 and open up the switches and check the contacts. I checked mine this week for PM and found the contacts were burned--burned bad in the brake lite switch, not so bad in the cruise switch. The cruise switch cleaned up with a little sanding. I replaced the brake light switch. Again they are not very expensive, you can find them for under $10 each if you look hard enough.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HVAC Assembly   Write-Up: HVAC Assembly - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: HVAC Assembly
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next