Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Center Console Removal

Go down 
+20
BMD
flyineagle96
albertj
charlieRobinson
stan
1998 Riv
98buickriv
turtleman
agrimm34
Rickw
krazyfish
palermocorey90
Chicken
'96reese
97rivman
97Riv-Jon
Jack the R
99Rivman
AA
BIGAL1128
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2008 9:02 am

Not sure if anyone else would get as anal about cleaning as I do but there was so much gunk spilled on and into this console I couldn’t see putting it back in without cleaning it. I’m pretty sure everyone has seen how to get the console out so I will just show how it comes apart.

There are two screws and two hook tabs holding the back of the console on, circled in RED. The screws are at the very bottom and the tabs are in the console about ¾ of the way up.
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 _99_sa20

There are four screws holding the vent assembly in place.
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 _99_sa22

All of the pieces out of the rear of the console.
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 _99_sa23

The plastic segments around the shifter lever are held in by four screws and then are removable from the console trim piece. This was also full of … whatever, so it required cleaning also!
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 _99_sa24

Shifter segments disassembled.
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 _99_sa25

Don’t mess with these plastic tabs, they will break off, I hope it isn’t a problem since one of mine did!
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 _99_sa26
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 3:12 pm

how do you remove the shifter knob????????
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 6:32 pm

There is a clip installed in the front side of the shifter knob about an inch from the bottom, you pry it out with a small screwdriver and the knob slides off
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 6:47 pm

I've been waiting for this!!! Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 7:00 pm

good write up
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
krazyfish
Enthusiast

Name : Jerred

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Okay im seriously having some issues getting this sucker out. ive got the cd/ashtray panel out. and ive got the 2 nuts in the storage compartment out. i cannot figure out what else is holding this one. After all ive done the most i can do is make it wiggle a little bit. What am i missing here? How is the front section held on?

im really needing to get this thing taken apart to clean it and see if i can fix the cup holder lid.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Have you read from the beginning of this thread.
What about the 4 screws mentioned earlier.???
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:55 pm

i have read and re read this thread. and i did not remove 4 screws from the front i have search and search and i do not see any. where exactly are they located. The only screws i see behind this panel are the two that are holding in the ash tray.

I have put it back together from the point i was at because i am taking the car to get window tint tomorrow morning and dont want to have my interior in shambles when i take it, but i am still trying to figure out how to remove it so i can do it tomorrow afternoon. give me 15 minutes and i can have pictures of where i am stuck at.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 3:03 pm

I've never tried to remove mine.
Maybe someone who has will chime in and help out.
Or try emailing or PM Randall (99Rivman) he has removed several and is the original one who posted here I think.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 7:44 am

krazyfish wrote:
Okay im seriously having some issues getting this sucker out. ive got the cd/ashtray panel out. and ive got the 2 nuts in the storage compartment out. i cannot figure out what else is holding this one. After all ive done the most i can do is make it wiggle a little bit. What am i missing here? How is the front section held on?

im really needing to get this thing taken apart to clean it and see if i can fix the cup holder lid.
When I posted the pictures it was more about taking it apart than removal, I'll see if I can look today and get more info posted later ... read
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 9:51 am

I guess I should have started this from the beginning?

I have figured out a little different way to do this so I figured I would start it from the first thing that needs to be removed.
Aaron if you want to adjust/move these posts, feel free.
With these additional items there should be NO questions about removing and disassembling the console of our Rivieras … well I hope anyway?

I will start by editing this post and go from here …

The Service Manual reads as follows:

This would be the first step:
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3710
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3711

Last edited by 99Rivman on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Awesome this helps alot. looking at the diagram it states to remove the shifter trim plate. how do i remove this.

The best i can tell is that the 4 screws on the trim under the armrest are attached to the same panel so those have to come out. but what about the rest of the shifter trim plate? is it just clipped in or are there more hidden screws?

With it in the way there are 2 screws i cannot remove.

Thanks abunch for the info you have already given!
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Next item to remove:
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3910
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3911
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 8:23 pm

Then remove this:
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3510
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3511
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3512
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Then back to the original post:
Console (Buick)
Figure 44
Remove or Disconnect
1. Shifter trim plate, refer to procedure in this section.
2. Nuts (3), bolts (2).
3. Electrical connectors from console.
4. Console (5).

Install or Connect
1. Console (5) to vehicle.
2. Electrical connectors to console.
3. Nuts (3), bolts (2).
4. Shifter trim plate.

Pictured below:
There are 4 bolts (2) in red, 2 going into the front of the console, and 2 going into the bottom, near the shifter.

There are 2 nuts (3) in green, under the access cover near the rear of the console.

console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_4410

Hope this helps. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 11:56 pm

thanks alot! i believe i shouldnt have any trouble doing this tomorrow. i really appreciate the help.
Back to top Go down
agrimm34
Amateur

Name : Andy Grimm
Merit : 0

PostSubject: wood trim (gear shifter)   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Anyone know how to remove the piece of wood trim that surrounds the gear shifter? and also how to remove the whole center console piece?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 11:18 pm

The wood trim itsself is glued to a metal plate which is secured to the top of the center consol with pushnuts. You have to remove the top piece of the center consol which is pretty easy, then remove the pushnuts un the bottom.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 3:09 am

Randall, thanks for all of the diagrams and info, this was really helpful!

For all reading this write-up, also reference Jack the R's write-up for wood dash install here:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/interior-f20/write-up-bd-trims-wood-dash-kit-install-t1341.htm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
98buickriv
Special
98buickriv

Name : AJ Gee
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 12:04 am

ok i seriously cannot find the clip to take the shifter knob off can anyone help me or put some pics on of where it is real pics instead of a diagram
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 12:17 am

As I recall, it's on the front side of lower handle grip, the side that faces your dash. May need a needle nose pliers to pull it? Pull your shifter all the way back and you should be able to get a good look at it.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 8:30 pm

98buickriv wrote:
ok i seriously cannot find the clip to take the shifter knob off can anyone help me or put some pics on of where it is real pics instead of a diagram

Slight delay but ... as requested:

console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Shifte10

console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Shifte11

I use a pocket screw driver to get the clip loose from the shifter knob, something very small because it is usually into the leather wrap pretty tight, then I use some plyers to finish the removal.

Hope this helps thumbsup
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 8:45 pm

ohh thanx for the pics Randall,i myself knew where the goddamn clip is but never looked to see for myself now i know the exact location.Thanks.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 7:36 pm

I am trying to take the console out but I am having some screw problems. They keep turning but not rising. they just spin in place. Anyone have this problem? How do you get a screw out that won't rise!?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
I am trying to take the console out but I am having some screw problems. They keep turning but not rising. they just spin in place. Anyone have this problem? How do you get a screw out that won't rise!?

Try putting a magnet on the screwdriver. Try using pliers (needlenose maybe dep on screw) to grab it by the head and ease it out. Try a little wad of sticky-tak or strip-calk to stick to the screw head and pull it out. Try pulling back on the screw while turning if it's just the case that the speednut the screw is in has stripped from its mounting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Center Console Removal
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next