Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)

Go down 
+10
Eldo
albertj
SuperRivL67
turtleman
RidzRiv
oldsman105
deekster_caddy
AA
BillBoost37
dreww
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 1:20 am

I put this on the Powertuner board but got no help.
There is a table modifier timing program available which I have used. But being familiar with it doesnt matter in relation to this question.

I put in a scan that really only included idling/cruising and the program only changes the timing of those setting. But it simply raises every cell used in the scan 2 degrees (by default).
When I do this, the cells in the higher mg/cyl settings, the timing numbers are lower. But the timing modifer still raises those cells timing by 2* and the powertuner highlights the cells since the changes exceed 10%. IS THIS OKAY?

I understand the damage of raising the MAF numbers more than a few %, but still unsure about timing.

Another thing, I have no EGR so my engine temps tend to stay cooler than normal. How does this effect settings??
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 6:38 am

I'm far from an expert as I haven't jumped in and done what I'll call the necessary reading yet. As we all know, being able to tune a car shows a relationship between effort put into learning and working with the car.

Depending if you are getting knock at the higher cylinder airmass would be the biggest determination for me if you should allow 2* to be added up there. Personally...I'd make small changes in only certain areas and come back for the top fo the rpm range.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 7:18 am

BillBoost37 wrote:

Depending if you are getting knock at the higher cylinder airmass would be the biggest determination for me if you should allow 2* to be added up there. Personally...I'd make small changes in only certain areas and come back for the top fo the rpm range.

well I haven't touched anything in the upper RPM range. Like I did with my fuel trims... first got idle/cruise then partial throttle then WOT tunings.

But as the cylinder mass increases in the lower RPM range (and all RPM ranges actually), the timing numbers drop considerably. 2* timing added on top aint nothing, but what about 2* added to single digit stock timing numbers?I just dont wanna drop into OD, have the RPMS fall/cylinder mass increase, and then the extra timing hurt something. Guess if anything, I would see knock and know to remove 1or 2* of timing huh?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:13 am

Quote :
I understand the damage of raising the MAF numbers more than a few %, but still unsure about timing.

I don't understand. Please explain.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:45 am

Before you start tuning your timing table, give this a try - they recommend downloading the .bin from an '05 GTP and taking it's GFS table, as it's a bit more agressive overall and a better starting place for your tune.

-Derek
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 12:56 am

AA wrote:
Quote :

I don't understand. Please explain.

MAF increases are done in percentages. Usually 1 or 2% at a time. Timing increases can only be done in 1/2* timing increaments (despite what the chart says....16.453 = 16.5* timing)

deekster_caddy wrote:
Before you start tuning your timing table, give this a try - they recommend downloading the .bin from an '05 GTP and taking it's GFS table, as it's a bit more agressive overall and a better starting place for your tune.

-Derek

Im kinda leery on this because everyone says "you shouldnt use another vehicles .bin because those settings aren't made for your car". I also know the 04+ vehicles were quite different from the 97-03's and mine is a 96'. Guess I could get that pin on the powertuner board huh? Do you know anyone who has done this with a riv?

anyone know what their crusing timing is? mine wont exceed 31* or so.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:55 am

Quote :
MAF increases are done in percentages. Usually 1 or 2% at a time. Timing increases can only be done in 1/2* timing increaments (despite what the chart says....16.453 = 16.5* timing)

Okay, 1-2% at a time.I thought you meant it was dangerous to raise the MAF values more than a few % period. As long as you watch your a/f, O2, and LTFT, you can increase them 10% over stock... in 1-2% increments, of course.

Quote :
Im kinda leery on this because everyone says "you shouldnt use another vehicles .bin because those settings aren't made for your car". I also know the 04+ vehicles were quite different from the 97-03's and mine is a 96'. Guess I could get that pin on the powertuner board huh? Do you know anyone who has done this with a riv?

You don't have to use the actual GTP bin, just export it's timing table and then import it into your timing table. You keep your bin, but use the GTP's values. I'm betting this is safer than trying to adjust them yourself. It would at least be interesting to compare the two tables to see the differences. There are lots of variables that make a '96 Riv different from an '04 GTP, but timing may not be one of them. You have to check before you can assume the tables are very different.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 10:04 am

Aaron is correct. You can't use another cars complete bin, but you can use a particular table from that bin. If you compare the two timing tables in an excel graph, for instance, you'll find the '05 GTP GFS spark table is a smoother table, and a little more agressive than your Riv's GFS spark table. Just import the one table before you start tuning.

You should tune for fuel before timing, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 10:32 am

Quote :

Agree. I've not played with timing at all. Still trying to get rid of that last bit of KR. Advancing the timing is the last thing on my list right now.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 3:21 pm

AA wrote:
Quote :

Agree. I've not played with timing at all. Still trying to get rid of that last bit of KR. Advancing the timing is the last thing on my list right now.

i am KR free except blip KR during shifts. I have worked on tuning fuel for what seems forever now.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 5:58 pm

Okay, then you are ready to start playing with timing. Start with the '05 GTP GFS table though... and go from there.

I'm really not comfortable with the way the timing table is set up. The last advanced system I worked on, the timing table was two-dimensional, MAP vs RPM, it made a lot of sense and was easy to follow. This one I'm not so sure about.

The tuning thingy program seems to do a good job overall, but I still don't really know what it's changing.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 8:28 pm

I am currently running the 05 GTP timing tables. Be careful beacause your max timing at WOT will go from 15* to 21* . I had to make some adjustments. I am currently running 19* with KR only at shifts with my 3.4 pulley.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 9:53 pm

hmm, mine didn't go that high. I only hit 14-15 at WOT.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 10:14 pm

Hmm! I have to admitt adding those tables really did bring a smile to my face.

I noticed the engine sound a little diffrent.
Idle spark advanced went up +10*
noticed a little more pep leaving the light.

Took me a while to fine tune to a point where I was comfortable about it but I think it is worth it.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 1:20 am

can you send me that 05 GTP file for the timing table?
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 2:31 am

dreww wrote:
BillBoost37 wrote:

. Guess if anything, I would see knock and know to remove 1or 2* of timing huh?

I did see some KR as soon as I dropped into TCC lockup. up to 3* with little throttle. I cannot adjust the PE enable to unlock the TCC with less throttle % because my 96 doesnt have that option. I have to "lift the foot" then hit the petal again - the old school riv way.

now, I dont know if this is normal because I never monitored KR on the highway or crusing (only WOT runs) - also I was towing. I do believe that extra 2* timing in the higher cylinder airmass w/ lower RPMS cells cause it though. Im gonna test it without the extra 2K lb. load behind me and go from there.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 7:34 am

Tell me you didn't just say you were adding timing while adding an extra 2K lbs to your car's weight.

Step 1, smack self in forehead
Step 2, scan without boat anchor attached to boat.

It'll make a huge difference. Heck.. If there are 2-3 guys in my car versus only me, I notice differences in the car.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 8:42 am

Wow, towing 2k lbs... you might as well be filling up with 87 octane. Seriously, the effect of that kind of load is very similar. Rated tow capacity is 1000 lb if I remember correct.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 3:23 pm

That's how I used to tune the timing in my 455 powered suburban... which had no computer. I would hook up my 4000 lb camper trailer, go out on the highway and do pulls and rotate the distributor until I couldn't hear any detonation. Drop the camper, tune complete wink
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 12:47 am

BillBoost37 wrote:
Tell me you didn't just say you were adding timing while adding an extra 2K lbs to your car's weight.

Step 1, smack self in forehead
Step 2, scan without boat anchor attached to boat.

It'll make a huge difference. Heck.. If there are 2-3 guys in my car versus only me, I notice differences in the car.

well, I could have kept it in 3rd and just let the motor RPMS stay higher - that would have prevented the KR. But then my tranny starts to cook.

lesser of two evils? Guess I need a "towing" tune

AA wrote:
Wow, towing 2k lbs... you might as well be filling up with 87 octane. Seriously, the effect of that kind of load is very similar. Rated tow capacity is 1000 lb if I remember correct.

yea, ive been testing that claim for a while lol
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 8:37 am

I missed the part about you asking for somebody to send you the timing tables. If nobody's sent them to you yet shoot me a PM. The '05 GTP bin is available for download on DHP's forums but I have it handy and can email it to you.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 1:28 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
I missed the part about you asking for somebody to send you the timing tables. If nobody's sent them to you yet shoot me a PM. The '05 GTP bin is available for download on DHP's forums but I have it handy and can email it to you.

PM sent
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 6:58 am

nvmnd...I finally found it on the DHP site.

thx anyways deekster
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 9:02 am

oh well. already in the mail wink
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 9:51 am

Thanks, Deek.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)   FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard) Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Spark Advance (Timing, Retard)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next