Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?

Go down 
+32
Northeast
Abaddon
madrivage
Derek
black shadow
Its a car part now
Eldo
robotennis61
flyineagle96
Snowdog
nothincame2mind
Rickw
BMD
1998 Riv
Buapo
rivwilly107
steve1173
98RIV7777
ibmoses
albertj
BKRIV
96riv
turtleman
deekster_caddy
TonySmooth89
xxsupergman25xx
Jason
T Riley
Dj Brady
AA
BillBoost37
97chargedriv
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 1:12 am

I've had good luck with Techron... which used to be called Techroline... which way back was called F-310...

(Of course that last one was when you could go into a Chevron/Standard station and buy 2-cycle gas straight from the pump, with a big, chrome lever that went from 16:1 to 50:1)

((Am I showing my age? Better not mention the Philips 66 Flite Fuel, leaded 'ethyl' that was over 100 octane!))
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 2:02 pm

Is toluene safe for our fuel systems, tanks, lines etc?? I was thinking of 1 gallon toluene, then fill up with 93 (maybe a little mmo) but don't want to damage anything.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 2:10 pm

Northeast wrote:
Is toluene safe for our fuel systems, tanks, lines etc?? I was thinking of 1 gallon toluene, then fill up with 93 (maybe a little mmo) but don't want to damage anything.

If you're looking for a decent octane booster, just go buy the Lucas Octane Booster from the auto parts store. It will net you 96 octane when filling up with 93. It's the only octane booster I use, as all the others suck.
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 pm

Abaddon wrote:
It will net you 96 octane when filling up with 93. It's the only octane booster I use, as all the others suck.

It raises octane 30 points? wow, thats pretty good. Ill check that out, thanks.

Ever use Torco?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Yep. The Lucas stuff is the only booster that has a 30 point raise. All others only have 10, if that. I did my research before using it.
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks! Going to try it out.

What mix are you using? 1 bottle per 20 gallons?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Well, that depends. When I'm just going to work and what-not, I use none, just 93 fuel. When I know (on the weekends) I'm going out to beat the piss out of it, I mix it with no more than 10-12 gallons. Now that it's getting cold out, I really don't even need it.....just in the summer months.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Northeast wrote:

Absolutely safe. Toluene is a part of the gasoline we buy from the pump already, and increasing it's ratio by adding a gallon won't harm a thing. I do exactly this before going to the track (throw in a can of xylene in addition for even better results!). It makes a noticable difference in KR reduction and power output (Toluene and Xylene have a higher BTU than pump gas, so increasing their ratio not only helps fight knock, but also adds more energy to your fuel)
Back to top Go down
Fastbuick95
Enthusiast
Fastbuick95

Name : Chris Harvey

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 10:20 pm

I can vouch for lucas octane booster, it does work very well. Gave my old girl a noticable increase in horses
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:22 am

deekster_caddy wrote:

Absolutely safe. Toluene is a part of the gasoline we buy from the pump already, and increasing it's ratio by adding a gallon won't harm a thing. I do exactly this before going to the track (throw in a can of xylene in addition for even better results!). It makes a noticable difference in KR reduction and power output (Toluene and Xylene have a higher BTU than pump gas, so increasing their ratio not only helps fight knock, but also adds more energy to your fuel)

Thanks!

What mix do you typically use? 1 gallon toluene per fill up (20 gals pump gas)?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Northeast wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:

Thanks!

that's what I usually do. But you should also be scanning, so you know if you are fighting KR, and if the toluene was enough.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 11:56 pm

Northeast wrote:

Thanks!
I don't see a Signature file, so I don't know what year your car is. But, for a correct ratio, I would point out that with a '95 you'd be filling up with a gallon of toluene and less than 19 gallons of gas - with a later model, more like a gallon of toluene to 16 or so gallons of gas...
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 2:45 am

1 Gallon to 5 gallons super & 1 bottle m.m.o.
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am

Thanks all, good info. I am only planning on using these home brews if my KR increases (maybe Ill try some in the summer) but from what I am seeing, looks like a ~20% ratio (with lubrication additive) should bring me up in the 97-98 octane range.

I was calling around locally, and the cheapest I could find was 100 octane at 12/gallon. Expensive!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Trying this Lucas juice out tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up, Scott. Dont feel like luggin race fuel an hour with an open trunk anyways.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Just fill up with 100 octane in Norwalk. A $5 bottle of octane boost might give you a couple of points, but it won't be as good as the real deal.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Ash
Enthusiast
Ash

Name : Marty
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Listen to what Aaron said.

Most off the shelf 'boosters' will add a few points. Yes, points. 93 octane is now 93.4, for example.
Waste of time and money.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:25 pm

Have you guys tried the leaded CAM 2 fuel? Any feedback? Trying to find the station in Norwalk now.

I dont have a cat and im using an O2 simulator until I can get a tune, but is there anything else to be aware of if I juice with leaded race fuel?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:38 pm

The lucas stuff is better than most. I read a review where it raised 93 to 96 when mixed 100:1, or one bottle for an 11.75 gal tank. You would need to add with the Riv's tank a little over 1/2 full to see the same result. I've read that engines can run funny when using these boosters.

There should be stations all around the track. I think the track even sells it. CAM 2 is the gas I was referring to, available at Sunoco. The 100 or 104 octane (also called 260/260+) is unleaded.

http://www.racegas.com/fuelfinder

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 am

100 octane in Norwalk? Must be nice. All we have around here is 110 Torco and Cam 2. That shit is almost $7 a gallon. That Lucas stuff is the only Octane Booster I've found that actually works. I mix it with no more than a half tank. All the other shelf stuff is garbage. None of them will give you the same effect as race gas though burnout 
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 9:26 am

They sell 100 at the Sunoco I used to pass on my way to work each day! Instant KR killer. Here's an interesting tidbit: when I went to Nelson Ledges last year, met with charlieRobinson and went round the 2 mile track that day. Normally would have filled with 100 beforehand, but that morning I was running behind and thought, "It's tuned for 0-2º KR on 93. It'll be okay." after about 30 laps I chipped piston #1 in the back straight around 5800 RPM. That's the bad news. Good news is now I have a brand new 20k mile engine to play with every day.

Lesson learned: you can use race gas for building extra power, or as insurance against KR. For a daily driver, $20 spent on 100 octane is a great insurance policy.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

Last edited by AA on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 9:31 am

Ha. I told Charlie pretty much the exact same thing. Whenever I'm going out to beat the shit out of it, I toss in a bottle to be safe(r).
I have to drive a few miles to get race fuel. There aren't any stations near me that sell it. There are really only stations on the old cruising roads...Gratiot and Woodward.

After 30 laps, that thing was heat soaked and probably had some pretty good KR you didn't know about. 2* certainly isn't going to chip a piston. Or, the piston was ready to go anyway.
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: temp   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 11:13 pm

would xylene or toulene hurt our modern cars? and what would benefits or cons be of using it?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 1:23 pm

joshuadalegrimes wrote:
would xylene or toulene hurt our modern cars? and what would benefits or cons be of using it?

Nope. Xylene and Toluene are already components of your pump gas. All you are doing by adding more is changing the blend ratio. Toluene and Xylene have higher BTU (Energy) than your watered down gas too, so you get more octane AND more ENERGY (that's important too). The only con is the price - unless you can buy it in bulk, gallon jugs are expensive.

You could easily pour in 1 gal of each to a full tank of gas in the Riv with only positive results.

I'm not sure at what ratios you can 'cause a problem' (if such a thing can be done on a blend like this) but I've never heard of any problems caused by adding these chemicals.

If you are borderline on your tune/KR at WOT, and at the dragstrip, pour in some of each until your KR problems go away. (scanning the entire time of course). Try dropping 0.1 on your pulley size and repeat. Repeat again. Experiment for us!

I used about 1/2 gal of each on my 3.2 pulley with some aggressive timing when I was messing around at the track, back before my cam/gen5 motor. If I had more time I could have increased timing further but it was a weeknight with limited runs. That or adding a bit of 100 octane was the only way I could make the 3.2 pulley run KR free unless I just dropped timing.

edit - just google "toluene octane" or "home brew octane booster" for more great info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7