Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?

Go down 
+32
Northeast
Abaddon
madrivage
Derek
black shadow
Its a car part now
Eldo
robotennis61
flyineagle96
Snowdog
nothincame2mind
Rickw
BMD
1998 Riv
Buapo
rivwilly107
steve1173
98RIV7777
ibmoses
albertj
BKRIV
96riv
turtleman
deekster_caddy
TonySmooth89
xxsupergman25xx
Jason
T Riley
Dj Brady
AA
BillBoost37
97chargedriv
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 12:20 pm

After 4 tanks of compiling data, staying as consistent as possible to not tweak results, using same Sams club gas, same pump, documenting... yada yada, I'm only just into my 5th tank... 26.37 mpg avg over 4 tanks and this only on the Riv. the other cars in this test were just too hard to track.

So I realized these are not real world results, the people claiming 10 mpg ingreases must be coasting down hill much of the time. I'd say I'm right around 24-25 mpg while pussy footing trying to achieve good results...I've found the performance to be about the only reason I'll continue to use to acetone but I've never seen much less than 20 mpg since I've had this car anyway. Simply stated the key to good mileage is driving habits, a clean fuel system and a properly tuned engine. I'm surprised the guy's in this forum with CAI and tuned exhaust systems would not see this mileage if they too were to pussy foot but what fun is that.

I have to conclude my test as the acetone may be a good cleaner leading to an initial increase in mileage of up to~ 2 mpg but after the fuel system's clean it is slightly less and doesnt seem to have additional mpg benefits, and I've stared to use AC....I'm going to keep adding it for the power increase or octane boost as I have noticed this to be the only real strong point...besides it's $7 for a can that will last about 20 tank's and there is some minimal mpg benefit ( not 10 mpg but some) so why not. Disclaimer: results WILL vary I'm not a scientist, just curious...REV ON!
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 1:34 pm

I usually just seafoam my engine once a year, thriugh the oil and brake booster, and then about twice a year I use it with a tank of gas. And my engine runs clean cool
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 1:23 pm

BKRIV wrote:
I'm surprised the guy's in this forum with CAI and tuned exhaust systems would not see this mileage if they too were to pussy foot but what fun is that.

#1 - I have a lot of trouble staying out of the throttle. What fun is that?

#2 My daily commute rarely takes me over 35 mph. 12.6 miles in 50 minutes on average. Let me tell you how much that kills my gas milage. I wish I could do more highway driving. I'm seriously considering a scooter or some such crap for the summer portion of my commute.
Back to top Go down
steve1173
Amateur

Name : stephen rabinowitz
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 6:17 pm

I add Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel. Been doing it in all my cars, don't know if it really helps but it has not hurt. Stuff been around for many years.
Back to top Go down
rivwilly107
Enthusiast
rivwilly107

Name : Jim
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Best fuel additive?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 1:13 am

What is the best for cleaning injectors.Also what about octane boosters? Is there anything on the market that really works,or are they all gimicks?
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 1:20 am

I've heard the octane boosters don't boost the octane by that much, so don't waste your money. Others will chime in about this.

As far as injector cleaner, I only use one brand: Chevron. Just make sure that you put it in your gas tank right before you fill it up, so the gas going into the tank mixes it all up.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 1:22 am

The consensus on octane boosters is that they are a waste of money. Poor substitute for filling with premium.

Seafoam is a commonly used cleaner. There's a detailed write-up on the processes to follow. Or GM top engine cleaner.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 6:21 am

Use a cleaner if you believe your injectors to be dirty. And using super they won't get horribly dirty to often.

Octane booster.. there's maybe one on the market that prints the truth on the side about points and how many tenths of a point you are buying for the $5-$10. If you are looking for a good booster read up on Toluene and Xylene.. My spelling is horrible on them, but that should get you close.

The local paint stores like Sherwin Williams can be one of your "racing night" stops.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 7:42 am

Bill is right about octane boosters. Many claim on the label to give you a point higher fuel, but the fine print is that a POINT is not ONE. It is 1 tenth, as in changing from 91 to 91.1, big F'n deal.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: I can''t believe this just happened!   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 11:33 am

I was changing the oil and supercharger oil on the car, and I also got a can of Wynns Engine Tune Up. Everything went fine, but I got in a hurry at the end and started to pour the Wynns into the gas tank!!!! It only took a spoonfull before I realized what I was doing. My question is, can this damage the plastic in the tank and should I start it up with this product in the tank? oops

Last edited by BMD on Tue May 12, 2009 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 11:43 am

It'll probably be fine. Gasoline makes a great diluting solvent! I wouldn't worry about it. a few oz of oil mixed with 15 gallons of gas, you probably won't even notice.

I put some marvel mystery oil in the tank every 6 months or so, in my mind it's helping my fuel pump live longer.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 12:05 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:

I put some marvel mystery oil in the tank every 6 months or so, in my mind it's helping my fuel pump live longer.
people make 117 octane racing fuel outta marvel mystery oil, some tranny fluid some xylene.. or something.. and a few other things..
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 12:12 pm

The Wynns product I used is completely clear and the contents of the can says " Petroleum Distillates and (Butoxyethoxy) Ethonol ". I am not as worried about the engine components as I am about the plastic in the tank? So you guys would fire it up?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 12:25 pm

Yes, it's fine.
They add 10% ethanol to our gas here and it doesn't hurt the gas tank.
You added such a small amount of additive that it won't matter.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Insignificant amount, no need to worry.
Back to top Go down
nothincame2mind
Aficionado

Name : Ryan
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Just curious, but how did you mistake the gas tank for the engine?
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 2:47 pm

better don't drink any more beer when sametime truyign to fix the car..... happy

well just joking....
like everyone else allready sayd..there is no need to worry..u can even have some water in tank mixed whit the gas...the car will still burn it all.. and i dont think any peaces of plastic would melt...gas tanks and all the other components in the fuel system are made of very good plastic...even should nto melt it.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 5:05 pm

nothincame2mind wrote:

I've been in a rush before and put anti-freeze in my windshield washer reservoir.
So much for rushing, took an extra hour to clean up that mess.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 7:04 pm

nothincame2mind wrote:

I know I know. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this bonk I thought I bought the fuel system cleaner by Wynns. Its the same size can and everything. But I appreciate everyones posts, they put me at ease, and your comments were actually verified by Wynns, who I contacted by e-mail. This is what they said,

"Hello, no problem with the Engine Tune-up in the gas tank, just fill the gas tank to the full level and drive as normal. There is less then 2% by volume in the can, mix that with a full tank of gas and the percentage of acetone by volume in the tank is minimal. If you are unsure, you can always have the tank pumped out and rinsed. "

So based on that and what has been said here, I think and hope I will be OK!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 7:09 pm

BMD wrote:
So based on that and what has been said here, I think and hope I will be OK!

Don't worry, just drive and enjoy your Riv.
Nothing will happen.
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: race fuel   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 7:00 pm

made up a batch o ya 0 knock dam she wines
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 7:02 pm

how did you do that?
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 9:53 am

3 gallons of 93, 1 and 1/2 gallons of tolunene, 12 ounces m's mystery, runs like a beast. mix very well
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 am

flyineagle96 wrote:
3 gallons of 93, 1 and 1/2 gallons of tolunene, 12 ounces m's mystery, runs like a beast. mix very well

agree

I like to use Toluene too, when I'm having a track day, but it has gotten more expensive lately. I add a gallon of Toluene to a half-tank of gasoline on my way to the track, and it's plenty mixed by the time I get there.
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 8:02 pm

how much oct do you get from that my mix is about 115
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?   fuel cleaners & octane boost additives? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

fuel cleaners & octane boost additives?
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next