Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

 

 Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods

Go down 
+31
stan
matt270avian
LaFlare
denim
ghpcnm
RoughNecks17
abaucom
robotennis61
Derek
Rickw
Abaddon
J. Chris Davis
98riv
T Riley
DEMonte1997
brmcm15
albertj
vendetta
SuperRiv07
deekster_caddy
turtleman
palermocorey90
Mr.Riviera
RhinoFLA
SpaceBar
Jack the R
97rivman
dreww
jax95riv
AA
Buapo
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis


Name : Chris Davis
Age : 42
Location : Dixon, IL
Joined : 2010-04-14
Post Count : 1008
Merit : 19

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 1:46 pm

I was pretty happy with his work. its been a year and that car sits in the sun alot and they still look just as good as when they were done. Here's his information. It's Brent's Upholstery. He is in Sterling, Illinois 61081 and his number is 815-625-3169. One of these days I need to go back there and see what he can do about a crack in my dash from one of those push clips.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman


Name : Codith
Age : 36
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3671
Merit : 140

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 8:49 pm

J. Chris Davis wrote:
I was pretty happy with his work. its been a year and that car sits in the sun alot and they still look just as good as when they were done. Here's his information. It's Brent's Upholstery. He is in Sterling, Illinois 61081 and his number is 815-625-3169. One of these days I need to go back there and see what he can do about a crack in my dash from one of those push clips.

Thanks again for that info. I finally have my pillar about ready and I'm gonna be calling them up in the next week or two to send my pillars to get reupholstered like yours.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis


Name : Chris Davis
Age : 42
Location : Dixon, IL
Joined : 2010-04-14
Post Count : 1008
Merit : 19

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 11:08 am

No problem. Hope it all goes well for you.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman


Name : Codith
Age : 36
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3671
Merit : 140

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 20130722_1057421

Finally got the pillars back for good! With waiting for the plastic guy and then the upholstery guy, it took a solid year and a half. Don't be in a hurry if you're doin it my way. lol

I ended up paying Brent's upholstery $125 said and done. Nice work though. The material is a little nicer than the original stuff or it's just because it's new/fresh - i dunno. There's definitely a lot more padding in there though which is nice.

Now I have to work my spare ashtray/cd holder to put more switches in it and do a lot of electrical moving around so I can get all the gauges where I want them. I'll probably post those kinda of pictures in my turtle thread. I'm going to try to get that done before I go see PRJ on the 3rd if I can.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian


Name : Matt
Age : 28
Location : Frederick, MD
Joined : 2012-01-15
Post Count : 2681
Merit : 54

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Wow, those look great. I have a spare ashtray cover/outlet assembly and a few cd/cassette holders. Yours if you want them. I figure yours are all cut up so why not start fresh? The ashtray thing is blue.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis


Name : Chris Davis
Age : 42
Location : Dixon, IL
Joined : 2010-04-14
Post Count : 1008
Merit : 19

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 1:36 pm

They look great. Glad you finally got them back.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman


Name : Codith
Age : 36
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3671
Merit : 140

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 20130723_104629
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 20130723_104544
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 20130723_104604
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 20130723_104556

Some pics for good measure. I'm actually going to end up putting the aeroforce gauges in the pillar
and moving those autometer ones to the ashtray area since that information is much more critical to have in front of my face all the time, even though aesthetically it looks kinda better this way.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis


Name : Chris Davis
Age : 42
Location : Dixon, IL
Joined : 2010-04-14
Post Count : 1008
Merit : 19

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Looks good.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert



Joined : 2007-07-01
Post Count : 2558
Merit : 12

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 12:37 pm

looks great
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD


Name : BMD
Location : Canada
Joined : 2009-04-28
Post Count : 1161
Merit : 36

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Hey Matthew, I recently had the dash apart and although I remember pulling on the A-Pillar to release the plastic snap screws, and then lifting the two tabs out of the dash, I cant for the life of me get the two tabs back in the two slots. you have a suggestion in the write-up that I cant quite picture, can you elaborate? Personally I am thinking of cutting off the two tabs and just relying on the snap screws to hold it in place.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert



Joined : 2007-07-01
Post Count : 2558
Merit : 12

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 10:35 pm

I tried pulling out mine but I couldn't....have to lift something? or pull harder?I was afraid to apply too much force so I never tried again haha......
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD


Name : BMD
Location : Canada
Joined : 2009-04-28
Post Count : 1161
Merit : 36

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 4:49 pm

BMD wrote:
Hey Matthew, I recently had the dash apart and although I remember pulling on the A-Pillar to release the plastic snap screws, and then lifting the two tabs out of the dash, I cant for the life of me get the two tabs back in the two slots. you have a suggestion in the write-up that I cant quite picture, can you elaborate? Personally I am thinking of cutting off the two tabs and just relying on the snap screws to hold it in place.
Just want to re-ask this question.
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes


Name : josh
Age : 43
Location : harrodsburg, ky
Joined : 2012-09-02
Post Count : 501
Merit : 13

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 8:51 pm

personally i never took my christmas trees out on purpose but i did have some that pulled out. you can twist some in ( depending on the head style) or like on my rear pillars where the mount broke i used locktite knead to mix putty and permently attached it
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD


Name : BMD
Location : Canada
Joined : 2009-04-28
Post Count : 1161
Merit : 36

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Its not the Christmas tree clips I am talking about. I mean the two legs that are actually apart of the a pillar design. They are supposed to slip into the two slots that are cut into the dash board. I just cant get those two legs back in.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman


Name : Codith
Age : 36
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3671
Merit : 140

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:38 pm

BMD wrote:
Its not the Christmas tree clips I am talking about. I mean the two legs that are actually apart of the a pillar design. They are supposed to slip into the two slots that are cut into the dash board. I just cant get those two legs back in.

Firstly, make sure you have both anchors secured in the pillar trim (not the actual metal pillar) so when you're positioned you just push them both in and done. Also, have the velvety/rubber trim around the pillar area pulled out of the way to make it easier. So with the pillar in your hands, guide it forward (towards the front of the car) at an angle clockwise a couple hours from where it actually rests so that the top is kinda over to the right and the bottom is close to where it needs to end up. So when you get it into position you have it in your hands like this    /    Then when the feet are lined up longitudinally with their slots in the dash, sorta twist it back counterclockwise like this    l    and sneak those feet into place as you find your holes for the anchors.
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5


Name : Going Nowhere Fast
Age : 38
Location : Louisiana
Joined : 2013-09-11
Post Count : 459
Merit : 1

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 11:45 pm

turtleman wrote:
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 20130723_104629
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 20130723_104544
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 20130723_104604
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 20130723_104556

Some pics for good measure. I'm actually going to end up putting the aeroforce gauges in the pillar
and moving those autometer ones to the ashtray area since that information is much more critical to have in front of my face all the time, even though aesthetically it looks kinda better this way.


Man this has to be an awesome visual at night
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD


Name : BMD
Location : Canada
Joined : 2009-04-28
Post Count : 1161
Merit : 36

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 2:10 pm

turtleman wrote:

BMD wrote:
Its not the Christmas tree clips I am talking about. I mean the two legs that are actually apart of the a pillar design. They are supposed to slip into the two slots that are cut into the dash board. I just cant get those two legs back in.

Firstly, make sure you have both anchors secured in the pillar trim (not the actual metal pillar) so when you're positioned you just push them both in and done. Also, have the velvety/rubber trim around the pillar area pulled out of the way to make it easier. So with the pillar in your hands, guide it forward (towards the front of the car) at an angle clockwise a couple hours from where it actually rests so that the top is kinda over to the right and the bottom is close to where it needs to end up. So when you get it into position you have it in your hands like this    /    Then when the feet are lined up longitudinally with their slots in the dash, sorta twist it back counterclockwise like this    l    and sneak those feet into place as you find your holes for the anchors.
Thansk Codith, I will give another try, but it seems easier said than done. I honestly feel like just cutting off the two legs on the pillar trim. Do you think the christmas tree clips will be enough to hold it in place?
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast



Age : 64
Joined : 2009-03-14
Post Count : 198
Merit : 2

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Has anyone looked into Just Dashes vacuum forming matching-color vinyl around the a-pillar covers?
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61


Name : robotennis
Age : 62
Location : las vegas
Joined : 2007-12-17
Post Count : 5562
Merit : 143

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Turtle's Riv just looks loaded for bear!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods
Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Similar topics
-
» Where do I find upholstery kits for a 65 Riv?
» Repairing front seat upholstery
» guage cluster possibilities
» Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge
» Faze boost/vac gauge pillar

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: